dog tags and other dog laws

scum

Reaction score
Hi...what is considered technically (as far as the cops go) needed to travel with a dog? Just a dog liscense or are other things required? I know that they dont usually care but I dont wanna risk getting my friend locked in a cage over me being lazy and not having the "correct" papers.

shittickit

Reaction score
you need your dog registered with a blue tag on its collar and then dog laws varry state to state and city to city youll get that blue tag when you give it shots its a good idea to get your dog a certificate of sevice

skitter

Reaction score
dog licenses are nontransferrable between cities. Okay, well I know that an NYC dog license means nothing in SF and I am sure it is a similar story in other locales. It demonstrates you really give a shit about the dog though (you do, right?). Wish my critter was service animal-ed, but I have gotten rides on local public buses by just asking them if I could ride with the dog muzzled.
Looks a lot better having all the bases covered than walking some skinny unvaccinated cur on a piece of frayed twine, ymmv

P

Pheonix

in CA you can get your fixed dog licensed for around $20 but if your dog in unaltered it will cost you closer to $120. legally you need 2 tags, a dog license and a Rabies tag, you can get the Rabies tag from the vet that does the shot (you can also buy the Rabies shot in some feed stores, but this actually doesn't count for the mandatory Rabies vaccination laws, but it's much cheaper) and the dog license you can get from the Humane Society and sometimes the vet sells dog license too.

Shakou

Reaction score
Mainly just an up to date rabies tag is essentially what the law really cares about. I've never gotten either of my dog's licensed, but they do have ID tags with their names and our phone number should they some how get lost. Pretty soon, we're going to get them microchipped as well in case for whatever reason they are found without their collars.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads