Documentary Looking for Travelers! | Squat the Planet

Documentary Looking for Travelers!

Reaction score
NYC based film and TV studio is looking to create a documentary/portrait series celebrating young underground travelers rejecting the 9-5 mold. We are looking to capture the unique lifestyle and community of travelers who don’t have their lives mapped out, who don’t know where they’re going next; who embrace freedom and look for experiencing life rather than learning about it.

If interested, please submit tales of your past, current and future explorations. We’d love to hear all about your achievements, horror stories, daily challenges, goals and the companions you’ve met along the way. Please submit a bit about yourself, a photo, and any video footage to undergroundtraveldoc@gmail.com

Reactions: PAN AM HOBO

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
NYC based film and TV studio is looking to create a documentary/portrait series celebrating young underground travelers rejecting the 9-5 mold. We are looking to capture the unique lifestyle and community of travelers who don’t have their lives mapped out, who don’t know where they’re going next; who embrace freedom and look for experiencing life rather than learning about it.

If interested, please submit tales of your past, current and future explorations. We’d love to hear all about your achievements, horror stories, daily challenges, goals and the companions you’ve met along the way. Please submit a bit about yourself, a photo, and any video footage to undergroundtraveldoc@gmail.com

so before everyone starts trolling, i just wanted to chime in here and let everyone know that i've been talking to these folks over the phone and from what I can gather so far, they seem pretty legit.

it always seems to happen about once a year; i start getting calls and emails from various TV companies that always want to do some kind of show, documentary, or reality thing. it happens so regularly that i don't really hold my breath when the subject gets proposed, since most of the time nothing comes of it.

occasionally the production company is so clueless or is so obviously out to exploit whatever they can, i just stop returning their correspondence entirely.

personally, i don't have a problem working with a production company as long as it's not trying to exploit the culture they are interested in. if done in a respectful, documentary style it could do a lot for exposing alternative lifestyles to those who would otherwise never think something like that was possible. on the other side of the coin, i would never involve myself in something exploitative, especially the dreaded 'reality tv show'.

so i guess what i'm saying is that so far these folks seem legitimately interested in a docu-style program of some kind, and not the reality shows we all hate so much. if this stance changes, you'll definitely see me be one of the first to back out, and you should to.

at this point though, there's no real commitment (you're not signing a contract or anything), so if you were interested in participating in something like this, i think you should get a hold of these folks and see where it goes.

who knows, it could be fun, and do a lot for people interested in giving up mainstream norms. and of course, if that doesn't turn out to be the case, you can just walk away, right?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Cool - thanks @Matt Derrick for the heads up. And yeah - these can be fun and interesting and be a positive thing for the traveling community. :) And who knows - may be a cool movie/doc at a future jamboree ... :)

Ironweed

Reaction score
so before everyone starts trolling, i just wanted to chime in here and let everyone know that i've been talking to these folks over the phone and from what I can gather so far, they seem pretty legit.

it always seems to happen about once a year; i start getting calls and emails from various TV companies that always want to do some kind of show, documentary, or reality thing. it happens so regularly that i don't really hold my breath when the subject gets proposed, since most of the time nothing comes of it.

occasionally the production company is so clueless or is so obviously out to exploit whatever they can, i just stop returning their correspondence entirely.

personally, i don't have a problem working with a production company as long as it's not trying to exploit the culture they are interested in. if done in a respectful, documentary style it could do a lot for exposing alternative lifestyles to those who would otherwise never think something like that was possible. on the other side of the coin, i would never involve myself in something exploitative, especially the dreaded 'reality tv show'.

so i guess what i'm saying is that so far these folks seem legitimately interested in a docu-style program of some kind, and not the reality shows we all hate so much. if this stance changes, you'll definitely see me be one of the first to back out, and you should to.

at this point though, there's no real commitment (you're not signing a contract or anything), so if you were interested in participating in something like this, i think you should get a hold of these folks and see where it goes.

who knows, it could be fun, and do a lot for people interested in giving up mainstream norms. and of course, if that doesn't turn out to be the case, you can just walk away, right?

I am surprised there hasn't been a hobo or tramp reality show yet. :p

...and if they do, I'll critique the hell out of it!

K

kokomojoe

I know MTV was/is looking for travelers which idk about that. I personally think the whole documenting travelers/trainhoppers has been done so many times now and is kinda played out but whatever.

D

Deleted member 125

I know MTV was/is looking for travelers which idk about that. I personally think the whole documenting travelers/trainhoppers has been done so many times now and is kinda played out but whatever.

they already did sometime in the 90's.

maybe its time for a reboot.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads