Doc's Kitchen, Slab City, California.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
I recently spent a few weeks camping in the slabs. While there I met Doc who runs a traveling kitchen. He set up camp near the hot springs and invited all to help or to eat whenever hungry. just make sure to bring your own dishes! Doc is someone I'd enjoy running into again sometime during my travels. One day I took some photos... and with no further ado, here they are:
tumblr_nkkw8v2UVf1qj8okuo1_1280.jpg

^The fire circle where hungry travelers can wait for tasty meals or volunteer a hand in the kitchen with doc.^
Chad prepares brunch one morning. most meals have the option of meat, but are also prepared with potential vegetarians in mind.
tumblr_nkkw8v2UVf1qj8okuo3_1280.jpg

The kitchen runs on donations many of which come from everyone putting resources together..
tumblr_nkkw8v2UVf1qj8okuo4_1280.jpg

everyone comes over from the hot springs to shares stories and play music while waiting.
tumblr_nkkw8v2UVf1qj8okuo2_1280.jpg

delicious eats in the desert.
tumblr_nkkw8v2UVf1qj8okuo5_1280.jpg

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
awesome pics man, thanks for sharing!

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yes it is... yes it is... Looks like real tasty grub. Thanks for sharing. :D

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i forgot, are you shooting on a nikon?

Preacher

Reaction score
Hat's off to Doc. Helps to renew your faith in humanity.

Reactions: Kal

Kal

Reaction score
This is a place I would love to see.

tobepxt

Reaction score
Website
wastedlandz.tumblr.com
hey @Matt Derrick , I guess i forgot to respond to this thread. I'm still shooting with canon cameras. I have a 30d and a 60d that i switch out from time to time. this trip i was using the eos 30d with a 17-55 f2.8 lens. (which is fantastic, but i usually think its a bit bulky)

Doc went back to Montana for a while last I heard, but he usually can be found at various rainbow gatherings and other random gatherings of dirty hippy folk. lol.. it was fun helping him/ hanging out/ and eating his food in the slabs though. i hope he makes a habit of going back each winter.

kaichulita

soul rebel
Reaction score
Looks like Slab city styled chipotle lol damn I'm hungry

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Awesome. Those pics of his culinary work is first class. Great grub hope people have a good tasty time.

Sweece

Reaction score
These pictures are absolutely stunning. You are a talented photographer! It inspires me to get out on the road and just shoot. I think you should really get into photo journaling. I always love telling stories through photos. Thanks for sharing and I'd love to visit Doc sometime.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads