Do you remember your first punk show? | Squat the Planet

Do you remember your first punk show?

Erable

Aspiring journeyman
Reaction score
A friend of mine took me to my first punk show in Edmonton, and man, it was a hell of a time.
Not the most exciting story, really, but I wanted to ask what your first time at a punk show was like? What kind of band? What kind of crowd? What'd you think of it? Any injuries?

Reactions: benjysirois

scatwomb

Reaction score
I remember seeing this bike is a pipe bomb over 10 years ago - it was at this anarchist run show space in minneapolis. there was lots of snow. terry talked to me outside the show space and I fell in love in an instant.

Reactions: BelCh

enocifer

Reaction score
Website
vids.myspace.com
First punk show... no, it's a blur... I probably ended up passed out in a bush somewhere wondering where my shit was. Anyways, my first Slayer show...black clothes everywhere, hid my knife outside so they wouldn't take it at the door, brutal moshpit, huge guy in the middle punching everyone out, guy in a wheelchair headbanging acting like he was shooting up while music was playing, ran into guy in the bathroom who looked like the kid who beat me up in 6th grade, tried to push my way to the front, but some cut guy in a leather vest put his arm out (YOU... SHALL NOT... PASS!) so I backed off (I was young at the time) and... well... it was the most awesome fucking concert I've ever been to. I heard so many songs I though I'd heard before, but hadn't (I've heard them all since then: deja-vu in reverse?). I fucking love Slayer. They're the punkest of the metal bands. Metalhead for life.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Reaction score
Ahhh those where the days. I grew up in a shity little town but we did manage to have shows with a lot of local bands. Never really had anyone big roll through, I think the biggest band we saw there was DOA, but it didn't really matter.
We all just got fucked up (as those where the early years when you still actually got fucked up) and most of the people lay in the back stoned. Getting to old for em these days though, but definitely good times none the less.

Reaction score
Mine was the Misfits in 07' in a little town I lived in called Columbus, MS. I went with a few of my friends and it was an awesome show. It was a local venue called the Princess Theater that I always hung out at. I got to meet the band and got Jerry Only to sign my merch :)

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
the u.s. bombs when they played in couer d' alene, idaho of all places. i think i was like 16.

P

pigpen

I was like 6 and my mom took me to southern culture on the skids in Daytona beach. Pretty punx as fuck I suppose.

the unseen was my second. they're fucking lame but they played with the ducky boys which was cool and this band last call brawl who are also pretty sweet. this was in NY.

Edit; The first show I ever saw was Primus, PM5K, buck09 and I can't remember the opening band for the life of me. My dad took me to this one and none of these are punk bands but I'm glad to have gotten to see primus in the early nineties when their concerts were more like punk shows and less like festi crowd.

Last edited:

sketchytravis

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I used to go to a lot of local metal and hardcore shows when I was mad younger like probably 12 or so, if not younger I don't know too well... the first legit punk show I went to that I remember of was probably the unseen with tiger army like a decade or more ago... I mighta not even been in highschool yet, not too sure... my memory is kinda shot from the years... it was a solid fuckin show though... knarley pit and everything too... crowd from what I remember was mainly the stereotypical "street punks" and fashion fucks and whatnot... I know that because I still see some of the same people at only the really big shows lol

Grainne

Reaction score
Minor Threat & Black Flag, DC - Slickee Boys & Blondie, Marble Bar - Baltimore, Lords of the New Church - Girards, Baltimore. The English Beat, The Bongos, and The Bangles, at Ritchie Colliseum (UMD) ... (Yes, I'm ancient.)
Punk, Reggae, SKA, Alternative, whatever you call it. WHFS when it was richeous.

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
When I was 13 I met this guy on a bus wearing a slayer t-shirt who stank of weed. We recognized each other from school. He was 2 years older than me. To make a long story short he was in a shitty high school punk band that sounded like NOFX. We became friends and I went to my first couple of shows with him.

My first show was this guys band, two other high school punk bands and The Effigy from Quesnel BC. Some kid dyed their hair green in the bathroom and smashed the sink. The show was put on by a kid in high school and most of the people there were under 20. Needless to say that was the last time we got to use that venue.

My second show was a few weeks later at a hostel in my home town. Iskra, Leper(who at the time were living in Vancouver), and Imperial Leather from Sweden played. That was the first crust show I went to and I hate to admit it but I thought they all sounded like crap at that first show. About a year later when Leper moved to Victoria I was at their house all the time and later hoped in their van on tour a few times.

We had a great punk scene when I was growing up. At 14 I was putting on anarcho-punk shows with my then boyfriend and running a zine distro.
oh to be young and not jaded.....

albertson

Reaction score
Streetlight Manifesto in 2011. I saw them at the 930 club in dc

ONEMANPARTY

Reaction score
Prolly 2000 or so I was about 13. Elks club in Plymouth, MA. I think the lineup was Borden, Jbase, By My Side, Embrace Today, and Closer Than Kin. Crowd was a total mixup of straight edge kids, punks, juggalos, and bros. I think it was Borden's last show because they smashed all their gear into two staticy tv's at the end of their set and they were the first to play. Closer Than Kin closed the show with a deadly cover of say it ain't so while my buddy got thrown into a drum kit. Boosche!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads