DIY STUFF SACKS | Squat the Planet

DIY STUFF SACKS

murdermittenkid

Reaction score
So i thought some people might find these little fuckers handy. I use them for my cooking stuff and rain gear. You can get all the materials for free and theyre kinda fun to make. You can use an old shoe lace instead of paracord and you can go to any thrift shop and cut the cordlocks off a jacket. follow the link because i didnt want to write up a tutorial of my own.

http://www.itstactical.com/gear/diy-tyvek-stuff-sacks/

murdermittenkid

Reaction score
Yea, you really can make all types of shit out of it. I've been looking around some of the abandon houses and construction sites near me for a piece big enough to make a footprint for the inside of my tent. It really weighs next to nothing

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
nearly every thrift store in the US is a charity, or operated by a small owner..

why the *fuck* would you advise chopping cords off of something they're trying to sell??

murdermittenkid

Reaction score
The items are donated.....meaning they get it for free. Have you every seen how much shit thrift stores throw out. Is it wrong for them not to put it in a free box? I don't advocate destroying nice shit. Just saying it's an easy way to get them. I live in detroit and know that there are a lot of people in need of new clothing th at can't afford a 99 cent shirt and a pair of $2.99 pants. But for some funny reason the commander of th salvation army makes over a $100,000 a year. I thought they were a religious organization? I don't think Jesus would be too happy if he heard that number

Reactions: tobepxt

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
look.. i'm going to reply one time, & you can tag or whatever, because it is off topic..

you said *any* thrift store, ok?
so don't backpedal & try to justify stealing or ruining shit that is intended to help others..

you don't like SA???

FINE.

don't eat their fucking food, don't sleep in their bunks..

yes, SA is fucked.. so is fucking goodwill..
but they are not, by a fucking long shot, "any"..

MOST fucking thrift stores are charity orgs.. homeless, vets, animals, etc.,

or
they are owned by people who are outside the ordinary economy of mass commerce...

so yeah.. you can advise what you want.. it doesn't fucking impress me..

why the FUCK would you advise cutting shit up at a thrift store, when all you have to do is say "jacket cordlocks are good, too"..?

because you think stealing or damaging is some kind of political/cultural statement?

& why a thrift store?
because they can't afford the kind of security at walmart or target??

soo... that sounds cheap, & even on the other side of the real courage that's needed to make your way in this world so that you have a rep of trust & honor that goes with you..

it may seem like a small fucking thing to fly off the handle over, but you know what?

a lot of these small, independent shops will *help* you, if you just ask, first, without destroying their stuff on the shelf..

***THAT ALONE*** means you should fucking respect them, instead of being some kind of lowlife predator that sees them as an easy target..

fuck, man.. i have gotten *loads* of good deals all over this fucking country, just because whomever it is that was running the place could see i was traveling, and dropped the price to damn close to the minimum (& maybe even lower, for all i know), before they cut a loss..

the other thing too, is that when you damage second hand shit at a thrift store, a *lot* of those things go overseas as relief items..

i used to volunteer at a place that sent a *lot* of shit to west africa..

so.. you go ahead & advise what you want..

yeah.. damn good idea to spread, as far as someone else's ingenuity goes, but your self-assumed resourcefulness is just an indication that maybe people shouldn't give you a ride, if they want to make sure their shit stays whole, should *you* maybe see fit to chop it up for something *you* need..

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Whooooo! i love my creature but he does have a point, why bother cutting off stuff at a thrift store - hell I give and give often and have volunteered for them. I DO however like the old shoelace idea - shoot you can find stuff like this all over. AND I like the whole idea of the bags idea too. Cool idea to input - thanks!!!!

Reactions: VikingAdventurer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads