1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Dissociative Identity Disorder (D.I.D./Multiple personality Disorder)

Discussion in 'Staying Healthy' started by Earthbound Angel, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Earthbound Angel

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I know of someone on the road who has D.I.D. or Multiple Personality Disorder. Is there any way of making it safe for them if they are alone? Or should they be with someone at all times (if posssble)?

2. ByronMc

ByronMc Sir Posts a Lot

Bicycle food delivery,for QuicknessRva
    Address:
    Richmond, VA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +244 / -4
    hmm,I have no real clue,though my gut tells me,someone who is a calm , should be around them

3. Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick StP Founder, Admin, and travel addict
    Staff Member Admin

Featured Threads:
    Professional Adventurer
    Address:
    Slab City, CA, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +8,216 / -56
    yeah, im not qualified at all to make that kind of judgement, but i'd say they need a partner with them

4. sketchytravis

sketchytravis Celebrated Poster

professional despenser of petrol
    Address:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +99 / -0
    If one of my friends was looking into any form of travel, i wouldnt let them go alone...

5. missguidedcrustpunx

missguidedcrustpunx is getting to know the place

busking/panhandling
    Address:
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +9 / -0
    As a recovering D.I.D.er myself, id say its not up to you...depending on the nature of the other personalities, it could be hard to keep anyone around, maybe even dangerous. not bashin yer friend of course but don't drag yerself down...iunno. care but don't risk yourself. all the love in the world won't fix it. its something inside fighting to align..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. kaichulita

kaichulita soul rebel
    Lifetime Supporter

Address:
    Pompano Beach, Florida, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +197 / -2

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find a way to deal with this disorder? I remember taking a psychology class, and DID always intrigued me. Of course, if it's too personal, you don't have to answer.

7. crow

crow Celebrated Poster

Featured Threads:
    honest methods, spange, art
    Ratings:
    +130 / -0
    My wife has it and yes.. even with the tits-in-the-dirt meds, she is required to have a "caregiver" (me) with her just in case. Her eye color changes on a switch. I know, i know. I didnt believe it until i saw it myself.

8. OP
    OP
    AlwaysLost

I deleted myself

Ratings:
    +0 / -0
    I knew a guy with did, if it hit him there was no keeping him in place without chains. It was like he suddenly didn't recognize his friends. All u could do was wait for him to snap out of it.

But I'm no expert, maybe its different case by case?

9. ChaoticallyCrazed

ChaoticallyCrazed Previously DannyTheDino

Address:
    Orlando, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +7 / -0
    Old post I know, and OP is long gone, but I know we ain't the only ones out there. There's more people with DiD than most realize and there's no point in starting a new thread when all the information can be found in one place.
    But yeah, I've got it, used to be much more unstable and I def wouldn't have been able to be on the road without a buddy. Being a homebum was tough enough. But now I trust myself to be alright(and a big reason why now I'm finally gearing up to go). I think it's real important to have a good set of gear and some reliable way of getting income(busking skills, government assistance, etc), plus trying to keep to bigger cities that are sure to have better resources.

Reason is, a big thing that triggers a switch to an unstable personality is feeling out of control and like I can't handle it, so that means I've gotta make sure not to take any big risks and to not push myself beyond my limits. Only you know your limits and your levels of stability, if you're already feeling unstable, best to sit where you're at now and try and wait to move until you're a bit more in control.

Orlando has a surprising amount of DiD folk thanks to the annual conference and local organization that has regular services geared towards the community(and other trauma survivors), if anyone is looking for a destination.