digihitch.com hacked | Squat the Planet

digihitch.com hacked

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I don't know if anyone noticed, but digihitch.com got hacked a while back, and as of a few days ago have been offline completely. I've been trying to contact the owners of the website to see if I can help or if they're just throwing in the towel. Does anyone know of a way to get a hold of them? The only email I've found is abuse@digihitch.com, so if anyone else knows another way, please let me know.

if nothing else it might be good to take over their database and import some of the useful information here if they'll allow it (assuming of course that they're giving up).

East

Reaction score
Yeah I recall this from awhile ago. My first thought was why digihitch? As a target there's little political statement to be made of bringing them down. Pretty lame regardless. Hopefully someone can provide a useful Email to get in contact. I'll miss that site, hell I already do.

They've been down for so long it seems. I think the user windandrain or the like had tried to get up with them a few times to no avail. :(

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
oh .... and furthermore found this.

http://hitchwiki.org/en/Hitchwiki:Preserving_and_reviving_digihitch

This is only the first paragraph... it has links to a "guaka"

Digihitch
From Hitchwiki

For those who were not aware, the founder of Digihitch passed away a couple of months ago. digihitch.com looks unmaintained. guaka had been in touch with Salman in 2008 to integrate hitchwiki and digihitch and got some kind of access to the server, which today proved enough to fetch a database dump and get access to all files. Please do contact guaka if you have more experience with digihitch administration (especially with PHP Nuke).

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
oh, that's cool. hitching.it looks like their using the same forum software we are. that's pretty cool, im going to spend some time checking out that site. it looks pretty good.

janktoaster

Reaction score
Yeah apparently some radicals hacked it because it was a threat or something, not entirely sure

Sip

Reaction score
Yeah, as digihitch was my first home and inspired and taught me how to travel, I was sad to see it go. There is no point in trying to get in touch with the owners as they want nothing to do with the site, which was their fathers project, and which they on occasion have actively worked against since his death. Hitchingit.com was our life raft in a storm, but it too was rocked by scandal after the guy who started it refused to pay the web developer and chaos ensued. Then one of our members secured Hitching.it and used the old site data to start the new domain. It is pretty much dead (I am staff there, but don't have access to user email) as no one knows about the move.

Last edited:

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
My first thought was why digihitch? As a target there's little political statement to be made of bringing them down. Pretty lame regardless..

Yeah apparently some radicals hacked it because it was a threat or something, not entirely sure

actually, the hacking has nothing to do with digihitch at all. you can basically think of it as a 'drive by hacking', in which a hacker scans the internet for easy to exploit vulnerabilities, then defaces as many sites as possible. it's a largely automated process, and the hacker doesn't give two shits about what website they're defacing, just getting their name out there.

Yeah, as digihitch was my first home and inspired and taught me how to travel, I was sad to see it go. There is no point in trying to get in touch with the owners as they want nothing to do with the site, which was their fathers project, and which they on occasion have actively worked against since his death. Hitchingit.com was our life raft in a storm, but it too was rocked by scandal after the guy who started it refused to pay the web developer and chaos ensued. Then one of our members secured Hitching.it and used the old site data to start the new domain. It is pretty much dead (I am staff there, but don't have access to user email) as no one knows about the move.

do you know anyone that might still have a copy of the digihitch database? theroetically i could import it into our forums, although it would take me a while to sort out the useful info from the crap... although it could lead to a vastly expanded hitchhiking section.

Reactions: janktoaster

Sip

Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't. Nor do I know a way to get in touch with anyone. You have a member, here, WindandRain, he was also from Digihitch and probably has a way to get in touch with people. In the meantime, if you tell me what kind of additional tutorials or Q and A you'd like for the hitching section, I'm happy to write them. Give back and all.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Just to let everyone know, I've gotten a copy of the digihitch database from the hitchwiki.org people. I haven't had time to look at it yet, so i have no idea what's in it. i'll take a look at it later and see what comes up.

NinjaMonkey

Reaction score
Any new news? I've been off the boat for a few months and hitching.it seems to be down now. Is it temporary?

I've been a big supporter of the idea to put the a copy of the forum and the stories up somewhere for the sake of mankind. So much wisdom in those threads.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I managed to get a copy of the digithich database, I just haven't had time to import it into our forum yet, since it's going to be a process taking several hours, and will require the StP website to be offline during that time. it *is* on my to do list though, and when it's done, it will be a sub-forum of the hitchhiking section here on StP.

Last edited:

NinjaMonkey

Reaction score
Please do grumble away man! I won't have the motivation.

Can't wait to see it. There are several threads I've been wanting to look over again. been able to retrieve a few from some weird auto-archiving websites but there's a lot I failed to find.

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
I managed to get a copy of the digithich database, I just haven't had time to import it into our forum yet, since it's going to be a process taking several hours, and will require the StP website to be offline during that time. it *is* on my to do list though, and when it's done, it will be a sub-forum of the hitchhiking section here on StP.

Aw dude yes! I don't know what the process of sifting thru the data will be like, but if you need folks to help, I'd be down to put some time into it. I don't know anything about website building or anything but I know good info from spam.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i might take you up on that. i'll make an announcement when i get it done, but that's going to be a few months from now. I'm up to my eyeballs in StP related projects right now that I'm trying to clear off my plate before the StP jamboree goes down.

Sip

Reaction score
Seriously, Digihitch was my god. I too will help, if you need it. Seriously... No talk, no bullshit, only truth. I'd love to see the old girl resurrected, in part.

Reactions: Hillbilly Castro

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads