Difficulty sleeping outside | Squat the Planet

Difficulty sleeping outside

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
I've been trying to sleep outside the past few nights to prepare for stealth camping before I go out on my own and I have been having a hard time actually getting to sleep. I think it's my physical comfort level, mostly. I have used a tent with a pillow and some small things to rest my feet on so it's not rough. I've gotten somewhat comfortable but I'm never able to actually fall asleep. I have gotten a sleeping pad which I have heard will make it a lot better on me and I hope that will allow me to sleep outside. Did you have this problem when you first started out? How did you get to sleep? Thank you!

Reactions: Testicool

N0MAD

Reaction score
I've been trying to sleep outside the past few nights to prepare for stealth camping before I go out on my own and I have been having a hard time actually getting to sleep. I think it's my physical comfort level, mostly. I have used a tent with a pillow and some small things to rest my feet on so it's not rough. I've gotten somewhat comfortable but I'm never able to actually fall asleep. I have gotten a sleeping pad which I have heard will make it a lot better on me and I hope that will allow me to sleep outside. Did you have this problem when you first
started out? How did you get to sleep? Thank you!

So, your stealth camps are they for travelling and sleeping Urban or just because you have to?
One thing i've been told and found out relatively early on was that you can't skimp on a good nights sleep. Some people may argue that fact.
Out of all my kit the biggest and bulkiest item i have is my bunk gear, I've gone for a nice relatively thick decent R value inflatable sleep mat. couple that with a high quality (second hand hand me down) sleeping bag synthetic over down (keeps it's insulation value even when wet, (yes i know you can get hydrophobic treated down now, but im stuck in my ways maybe one day i'll change)) and then a waterproof bivi bag or tent to keep you dry.

I've slept most places, up a mountain, in the middle of a town, underground and on the side of a cliff. It takes a little while to get accustomed to your surrounding and the idea of being somewhat vulnerable.
I've found that spending time around where you're going to sleep can help.

Hope that helps,

Sam

beginnavagabond

Reaction score
So, your stealth camps are they for travelling and sleeping Urban or just because you have to?
One thing i've been told and found out relatively early on was that you can't skimp on a good nights sleep. Some people may argue that fact.
Out of all my kit the biggest and bulkiest item i have is my bunk gear, I've gone for a nice relatively thick decent R value inflatable sleep mat. couple that with a high quality (second hand hand me down) sleeping bag synthetic over down (keeps it's insulation value even when wet, (yes i know you can get hydrophobic treated down now, but im stuck in my ways maybe one day i'll change)) and then a waterproof bivi bag or tent to keep you dry.

I've slept most places, up a mountain, in the middle of a town, underground and on the side of a cliff. It takes a little while to get accustomed to your surrounding and the idea of being somewhat vulnerable.
I've found that spending time around where you're going to sleep can help.

Hope that helps,

Sam
I'd be mostly doing stealth camping while hitching and if I have the chance, I would find someone on couchsurfing or something like that if I'm in a city or large town.
I just worry about not being able to sleep when I start out on the road and having it affect my decision making
I've heard the synthetic sleeping bags are very good. I think I will get one of those.
Also, your point on spending time around where you're going to sleep is a good idea and I haven't been doing that.
Thank you!

Hillbilly Castro

Reaction score
yeah man to be honest this is often why I drink a lot... best way to sleep rough to be honest. I still have a tough time sometimes falling asleep, but it's only when I'm alone. When I'm with others, I have no problem ever.

A good trick is to snag an airplane pillow somehow, either by taking a flight or by having a friend who is grab one for ya. They roll up into a very small size, but are "just enough" to significantly improve your comfort, especially with a jacket or a shirt balled up underneath. It's not very "rugged // badass" but whatever, fuckin comfort above all else is what I say.

A

AlwaysLost

I carry a pillowcase. It serves 2 purooses and doesn't weigh much.

1. I carefully fold my jacket and extra clothes and place it in tge pillowcase. Not as good as a pillow but it keeps the clothes from becoming an uncomfortable lump of f2f flattened wrinkles.

2. If my shit bag fails I can load my essential gear into my pillowcase.

Multiple layers of cardboard were a lot more comfortable and warner than my sleeping pad surprisingly.

A warm beverage helpd believe it or not. I made some clover and dandelion tea before bed.

Vistaril helps too lol.

Art101

Reaction score
I usually fold up my fleece jacket for a pillow,or put it in an extra stuff bag that I carry.As for sleeping outside,ear plugs are great.I find when Im on a train the rocking motion knocks me out.

Reactions: Testicool

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I still have my military ear plugs lol....

As for falling asleep... Practice makes perfect. I been bumming instead of true full time traveling last year half or whatever... N indoors sleeping on the floor with pad m bag... Out doors trying random spots... Bench... Roof... Exct.... Once yer tired enough you will sleep. Hell yer even caught a couple hours sleep leaning up at the booze store.

I think the most important skill that takes instinct. & I'm still learning...is knowing a location... choosing a spot that wont have law or someone mess with ya...

Whereamiwhatdoido

Reaction score
There will be a difference from what you're doing now, and what will happen when you start travelling. When you're first out and about there's going to be so many new impressions and sights and smells, and you'll probably be a lot more naturally inclined to sleep well, in order for your subconscious mind having to digest all these new experiences.

Alas, when I first hit the road, I'd always spend time crawling way into forests or bushes as to not be found or bothered in the night. First time I slept in a city, I went way out on some pathway leading around the city wall and honkered down on a bench, haha I even had this string that I curldd around every bit of gear and bit and tied it to my finger.. Was really paranoid I guess.

But after the first week or two I really got a lot better, just crashing in plain sight in city parks and whereever, most places in europe you can sleep in parks, you just gotta be packed up in the morning so I was never bothered by law enforcement.

Actually my method or approach was to sleep so openly and obvious, that in case somebody would cause trouble in the night I could call out for help and someone would hear - yet I never had any trouble..

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
It's going to be uncomfortable at first until you get used to it. Being a light sleeper I tend to wake up a lot throughout the night where I hear something that arouses my attention. And sleeping in a city is even worse--- it seems I wake up at least every half hour or so and never get a decent night's sleep. But It's all part of the game.

Like someone else said, alchohol will help some. But I think when you start really traveling and you're walking all day with a heavy backpack, you will sleep easier at night because you will be more exhausted.

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Reaction score
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Boozes can help get you to sleep but remember you also get significantly lower quality sleep and tend to wake up much ealier in the morning. It also can be dangerous to wake up intoxicated and not be able to respond in an appropriate way.

I sleep much better in groups and knowing my dog will fuck anything up that gets too close to us at night.

Venatus

Reaction score
practice laying on flat surfaces in public spaces, scout out areas that look okay, and then move between them throughout the night if people bother you. as for security, what i used to do was put myself in a corner or back alley, and then hide between my flipped shopping cart and a wall/ trash can. i would sleep on my belongings, and a layer of cardboard for insulation. the other option is to simply transition to being nocturnal, and then just roam around sleeping during the day. i also had to do this on parts of my trip north, because it was too hot during the day to make it very far.

N0MAD

Reaction score
I'd be mostly doing stealth camping while hitching and if I have the chance, I would find someone on couchsurfing or something like that if I'm in a city or large town.
I just worry about not being able to sleep when I start out on the road and having it affect my decision making
I've heard the synthetic sleeping bags are very good. I think I will get one of those.
Also, your point on spending time around where you're going to sleep is a good idea and I haven't been doing that.
Thank you!

When I was younger, I had a hard time sleeping outside because all the night sounds were unfamiliar to me. I agree with nomad that it takes a bit of time to get used to your surroundings. These days, if I'm having trouble, ear plugs work wonders. I just listen to the sounds coming from inside my head. :p

Damn i forgot about the ear plugs, yes use them they work wonders.

I carry a pillowcase. It serves 2 purooses and doesn't weigh much.

1. I carefully fold my jacket and extra clothes and place it in tge pillowcase. Not as good as a pillow but it keeps the clothes from becoming an uncomfortable lump of f2f flattened wrinkles.

2. If my shit bag fails I can load my essential gear into my pillowcase.

Multiple layers of cardboard were a lot more comfortable and warner than my sleeping pad surprisingly.

A warm beverage helpd believe it or not. I made some clover and dandelion tea before bed.

Vistaril helps too lol.

Second the thing about pillow cases, They come in really handy just like stated above I usually use a 15-20 litre dry bag and in my opinion they are better than a pillow case because well they're water proof you can keep you valuables in them whilst your resting.

N0MAD

Reaction score
Thank you!

When it comes to Sleeping bags find one with a decent comfort temp rating relative to when your going to be travelling, Lower for colder regions and higher with a built in fly net for a warmer climate. BUT remember that you can always open a warm sleeping bag to cool off, it will be harder to get/ keep warm in a bag with less insulation value in a harsher environment.

I have seen many cases of hypothermia and exposure it is not fun make sure you keep prepared.

Sam

Last edited:
A

AlwaysLost

Damn i forgot about the ear plugs, yes use them they work wonders.

Second the thing about pillow cases, They come in really handy just like stated above I usually use a 15-20 litre dry bag and in my opinion they are better than a pillow case because well they're water proof you can keep you valuables in them whilst your resting.

Dry bag is a good idea actually could put a tee shirt over it to make it less plasticy

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$20.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads