DENVER to LOS ANGELES | Squat the Planet

DENVER to LOS ANGELES

K

Kim Chee

Your route is nothing unusual.

I'd just recommend reading up on hitchhiking in general.

When in and near LA or Denver use public trans to get to your hitching spot or destination.

Have cardboard to make a destination sign.

Smile.

Etc.

Go read.

• Useful
Reactions: MoHank and Shwillam

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
Is there any reason why you need to go to LA? Because if not I would just avoid it altogether. So Cal has been having a lot of rain and from the weather reports it's only gonna get worse. And LA just sucks anyways. Also I have done this trip before. It's pretty easy until you hit Vegas area. People picking you up become a lot less frequent and there's not a lot in between towns. Definitely need lots of water. The closer to LA you get the less people are gonna pick you up. But west of Vegas there's this abandoned water park right off the 70 that looks like an amazing squat. I didn't get to squat it last time I went through but I've been meaning to head back that way to squat the fuck out of that water park.

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
LA is horrible for stepping off unless you have public transportation money.

Hitching north on the 1/101 is usually pretty cool to do.
Why is LA a bad stepping off point? Is it just cause it's a big city? Going to be heading that way in a couple months so just curious.

Reactions: MoHank
K

Kim Chee

Why is LA a bad stepping off point? Is it just cause it's a big city? Going to be heading that way in a couple months so just curious.

For me it isn't a good place to hang out.

When I go through there I try to make sure I have cash on me so I can get to where I'm going.

If I don't have quarters I know I'll be walking quite some ways or desperately hitching if I'm not on a train.

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
It sucks because the entirety of southern California doesn't want to pick you up. Ever. Seriously I just buy a bus ticket whenever I gotta go through. Also It's full of drugs and homebums and asshole cops and pretty much just awful environment.

ntdxc1878

Reaction score
It sucks because the entirety of southern California doesn't want to pick you up. Ever. Seriously I just buy a bus ticket whenever I gotta go through.
Damn, I was unaware of that. It seems like the Pacific Northwest is known for picking up people more though. Or is that not the case either?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
in general, all my hitchhiking experiences in washington/oregon/norcal have been pretty positive. especially on the 101.

Shwhiskey Gumimaci

Reaction score
Damn, I was unaware of that. It seems like the Pacific Northwest is known for picking up people more though. Or is that not the case either?
The 101 is pretty good around Santa Cruz and SLO and north of there, but LA and So Cal area just sucks for hitch hiking.

Kuchi Kopi

Reaction score
I've hitched to Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland, took me 2 days from SanFran. Also, Been from San Diego On up to Seattle on foot?hitch/rideshare. It's so ridiculously easy. There's portions I'd recommend taking for different reasons like amenities, sights, etc. Theres hike and bike spots to camp along the coast in most spots plus various sites you could map out olong the way. I know mad people say HelL.A . sucks but, in my experience it was awaesome. Stayed at a hostel in North Hollywood and spent quite a few nights with crusties on the beach, boats, streets on various other local camps. As long as you don't fuck up and get addicted to meth L.a is awesome, lol. It helps to look at a map and set destinations along the way, when you hold a sign for LA in Colorado not everyone is going that far so something closer helps. Good luck on your journey ;)

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya don't go to LA unless you have money to get at least a city bus out to Santa Monica or further north on the 1 or 101. Fuck taking the I5 unless you want to get to NorCal fast. Try to get to a Truck stop if you are going to do that. I would say go to Vegas, Barstow, take 58 to 101 And north on 101. Don't take 99 as all towns along there suck.

San Fran is also hard to get out of but not nearly as bad as LA. But I would recommend taking the 101 north to Arcata, take 199 to I5 And stop off in Eugene. Then take I5 to Portlanf/Seattle.

If you go the other way through wyoming/Montana, I would take 25 to Cheyenne, and then take nearest route to I 90, and go through Missoula/Spokane to Seattle.

Another option would be taking the I 25 to the 80 And taking that to Portland. That would be your fastest route to Seattle. Boring though, except for the Columbia river gorge.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Ya, either way is fast on the 101n South is pretty easy, as most thru traffic is headed to SF or LA.

And ya the 101 is probably is probably one of the best highways in the nation. Goes across Golden Gate, past huge lakes, and directly through the redwoods. Once you hit Oregon, it's coast all the way to washington.

• Sad

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads