Denver Police Confiscate Blankets From Homeless

milkhauler

Reaction score
Being that I have spent time on the streets, this is disheartening to read...

Shame on the Denver Police Officers who took blankets and tents into evidence after confiscating them from homeless people camped outside in temperatures which will dip into negative numbers this week. Criminalizing homeless individuals is not only cruel and abusive, it is counterproductive and unconstitutional.

This isn’t the first time this year Denver city administrators have criminalized homelessness. In March, officials used money from a homeless donation fund project taking place at the Denver International Airport to pay a $60,000 bill to move, store and redistribute property confiscated from homeless people during a sweep in Denver’s Ballpark area. Yes, you read that right. The city went to elaborate lengths to install donation meters around the airport, collect money from concerned citizens who wanted to “help the homeless”, and then spent the money on a taskforce who told the homeless to move it along, to a shelter, or to jail. Can’t have the homeless people scaring off the wealthy suburban families coming into the city to see the Rockies at Coors Field, now can we?

FUCK DENVER!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.pa...s/2016/12/the-denver-police-officers-who.html

Sent from my SM-G930VL using the Squat the Planet mobile app!

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe

TheCoyoteKing

Reaction score
Yeah, stuff like this has been happening around here a lot lately. In my experience, Denver has never been among the most tolerant cities in the US, but it seemed to get noticeably less so when weed got the pass here. With new business came new money, and to make and spend it, a legion of money-crazed wantrepreneurs of the Silicone perspective, all fighting to be the next kingpin.

Denver where the money at today, and that's bad news bears for trill folk. IIRC, it's now the most expensive non-coastal city in the states. Violence (at least, in the traditional sense) is minimal, but it's this underhanded shit here; a reflection of the devious culture arising. Those apparitions you speak with at work and chat with on facebook are pushing legal measures now.

Spooky world we live in.

I've had a lot of caffeine, my bad.

Reactions: Rob Nothing
D

Deleted member 17306

Hmm, I came across the opposite the other day.

http://fox6now.com/2016/12/11/mayor...nts-blankets-from-the-homeless-during-winter/

DENVER, Colorado -- The mayor of Denver, Colorado announced Saturday, December 10th he's adjusting the enforcement of Denver's "unauthorized camping ordinance" this winter. Mayor Michael Hancock said police should not take camping equipment, such as tents and blankets from the homeless, KDVR is reporting.

“It is not an inherent crime to sleep outside, and many people right now have no other viable option. Denver’s shelters are simply unable to serve all people in the Denver area experiencing homelessness," ACLU of Colorado Executive Director Nathan Woodliff-Stanley said in the letter. “Until real solutions become Denver’s priority, the city’s ongoing policing-first approach to homelessness is a cruel waste of funds, curtailing fundamental constitutional rights, causing deep human suffering, and endangering lives."

“Every step we take is intended to connect people with safe and warm places and critical supportive services. We never intended to take the belongings that people need to keep warm. Therefore, I have directed Denver police to cease taking camping equipment, like tents and blankets, when enforcing the unauthorized camping ordinance through the end of April," Mayor Hancock said.

This, after the ACLU sent a letter to Denver police and Mayor Hancock asking them to stop taking blankets from homeless people.

Video surfaced online of police taking the items from individuals when temperatures were below freezing.

D

Deleted member 8978

I read about this on a Facebook post the other day. This makes me wish we had a law called "theft by way of false confiscation/seizure". I understand that playing music too loud would lead to confiscation of speakers (for example), but there is nothing harmful about things that keep you warm like blankets.

A

AlwaysLost

I read about this on a Facebook post the other day. This makes me wish we had a law called "theft by way of false confiscation/seizure". I understand that playing music too loud would lead to confiscation of speakers (for example), but there is nothing harmful about things that keep you warm like blankets.

We do its in the constitution under unlawful search and seizure. They can arrest or fine you for tresspassing they can't seize your property unless its an illegal good or purchased with illegal funds. But the constition is a piece of artwork and not a legal document these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads