Decent sized pack for small sized people?

jimi

Pilgrim
Threads
Current Location
Eugene
Website
www.classytrashcan.tumblr.com
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I'm looking for recommendations for a new pack. I've been rocking a little assault pack with a bunch of shit strapped to it for most of my travels. I love it, but it's tiny and I can barely carry anything.

I'd very much prefer something with plenty of separated compartments, not just a big sack I have to dump out every time I look for something. And here's the big thing: I'm 5'1" and thin, and have back/hip problems. I'm hoping to find something with decent back support and a secure fit. I can't handle lugging around a pack that doesn't fit properly.

So far it looks like I might just have to spend some time modifying packs made for bigger people, but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations first.

Threads
Current Location
Denton, Texas
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I've used the osprey farpoint and porter and love them. You can get either 40L or 55L. 40L is all I need and makes it a lot easier on my back. The smaller the better, imo.

The best thing about these backpacks is they have panel loading rather than top loading, so you can easily unzip and see everything inside, neatly organized, rather than just fucking dumping your shit in the dirt. They also have compression straps on the side to keep your pack tight like yo momma. Also, the centered weight helps your back. Having a lot of shit hanging off and swinging around can put unnecessary stress on your back.

They can be a lil pricy tho. Like $70-$100 used on ebay/amazon. New they're like $110-130. Definitely worth it for me tho.

OP
OP
jimi

jimi

Pilgrim
Threads
Current Location
Eugene
Website
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
This is what im using now.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/pro...pack-cloth-od-green-903204000-783377004122.do

If you like to have gear seperated by purpose than something like this is what to look for. Theres a sleeve in the padded back for laptops, plenty of side pouches, and you can always add some extra molle packs.

sportsmansguide also has a big selection of mil surplus stuff thats cheaper. the british ruck is decent as are most of the canvas bags in the surplus section.
Thanks!! This looks right up my alley, style wise. It's very similar to what I have, but looks bigger. From your experience, do you think the straps/back length would adjust to fit a very small person? Think 13yo boy. A lot of the problems I've had have to do with the straps just being too long or the bag hanging down past my butt because the straps are set too high on the bag.

OP
OP
jimi

jimi

Pilgrim
Threads
Current Location
Eugene
Website
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I've used the osprey farpoint and porter and love them. You can get either 40L or 55L. 40L is all I need and makes it a lot easier on my back. The smaller the better, imo.

The best thing about these backpacks is they have panel loading rather than top loading, so you can easily unzip and see everything inside, neatly organized, rather than just fucking dumping your shit in the dirt. They also have compression straps on the side to keep your pack tight like yo momma. Also, the centered weight helps your back. Having a lot of shit hanging off and swinging around can put unnecessary stress on your back.

They can be a lil pricy tho. Like $70-$100 used on ebay/amazon. New they're like $110-130. Definitely worth it for me tho.
These look pretty good, and like something I might actually be able to find easily at a store to try on! Thanks!

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Threads
Current Location
Olean, NY
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
I use a golite and @Hillbilly Castro travelled with one and loved it.

Somewhere between a day pack and a fullsize backpacking pack.

_Decent sized pack for small sized people?_Backpacks & Pouches_Squat the Planet_9:09 AM