1. Not like it changes anything, but we are obligated to inform you that we are using cookies - so, we just did. Learn More.
  2. If you're new to the world of underground travel, you should check out The Anarchist's Guide to Travel! This 243 page book is a how-2 manual of everything you need to know about exploring the world through hitchhiking, train hopping, bike touring, rubber tramping, sailing, and more! Included in this book are instructions on how to survive on the road (gear, food, money, etc) and answers all of the most common questions we get here on StP in one easy reference. Save yourself hours of searching the forums while still supporting the StP community! Click here for more information!

Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey you! Yeah, we see you there, lurking! Well, this notice is just to let you know that there's several sections of the website that are available to members only! You're missing out on a lot of stuff by not signing up for an account! It's free, so what have you got to lose?
    Dismiss Notice

Decent sized pack for small sized people?

Discussion in 'Backpacks & Pouches' started by jimi, Dec 6, 2017.

1. jimi

jimi Hungry for Knowledge

Achievements:
    BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
    Address:
    Eugene, OR, United States
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    I'm looking for recommendations for a new pack. I've been rocking a little assault pack with a bunch of shit strapped to it for most of my travels. I love it, but it's tiny and I can barely carry anything.

I'd very much prefer something with plenty of separated compartments, not just a big sack I have to dump out every time I look for something. And here's the big thing: I'm 5'1" and thin, and have back/hip problems. I'm hoping to find something with decent back support and a secure fit. I can't handle lugging around a pack that doesn't fit properly.

So far it looks like I might just have to spend some time modifying packs made for bigger people, but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations first.

2. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    This is what im using now.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.net/pro...pack-cloth-od-green-903204000-783377004122.do

If you like to have gear seperated by purpose than something like this is what to look for. Theres a sleeve in the padded back for laptops, plenty of side pouches, and you can always add some extra molle packs.

sportsmansguide also has a big selection of mil surplus stuff thats cheaper. the british ruck is decent as are most of the canvas bags in the surplus section.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Satanic Botanic

Satanic Botanic is getting to know the place

Achievements:
    Address:
    Denton, TX, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +39 / -0
    I've used the osprey farpoint and porter and love them. You can get either 40L or 55L. 40L is all I need and makes it a lot easier on my back. The smaller the better, imo.

The best thing about these backpacks is they have panel loading rather than top loading, so you can easily unzip and see everything inside, neatly organized, rather than just fucking dumping your shit in the dirt. They also have compression straps on the side to keep your pack tight like yo momma. Also, the centered weight helps your back. Having a lot of shit hanging off and swinging around can put unnecessary stress on your back.

They can be a lil pricy tho. Like $70-$100 used on ebay/amazon. New they're like $110-130. Definitely worth it for me tho.

4. OP
    OP
    jimi

Achievements:
    BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
    Address:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    Thanks!! This looks right up my alley, style wise. It's very similar to what I have, but looks bigger. From your experience, do you think the straps/back length would adjust to fit a very small person? Think 13yo boy. A lot of the problems I've had have to do with the straps just being too long or the bag hanging down past my butt because the straps are set too high on the bag.

5. OP
    OP
    jimi

Achievements:
    BLUH BLUH HUGE BITCH
    Address:
    View on map:
    My Website(s):
    Ratings:
    +16 / -0
    These look pretty good, and like something I might actually be able to find easily at a store to try on! Thanks!

6. Spider Tempura

Spider Tempura Celebrated Poster

Achievements:
    Address:
    Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +123 / -2
    I think so, its a bit like a jansport just a wee bit taller, wider, and roomier. I know a few folks that have had problems with the taller 40L on up bags due to height. These mid size packs should fit you just right. If you are in a rush most army surplus type stores have bags this size you could try on. Depending on your back problem you may need to stiffen up the back with something as it is just padded, no frame. My own back issues forced me to abandon using the bigger hiking / climbing packs and lighten up my load. This pack doesnt come with hydration bladder but has a sleeve for it and holes for the drinking tube.

7. QueerCoyote

QueerCoyote granola punk

Featured Threads:
    Achievements:
    Address:
    Syracuse, NY, United States
    View on map:
    Ratings:
    +229 / -0
    I use a golite and @Hillbilly Castro travelled with one and loved it.

Somewhere between a day pack and a fullsize backpacking pack.

20171208_180027.

• Like Like x 1