Photos DE to CO Bike Tour

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Here are some of the best photos I took from Colorado. Goes from Pueblo to Breckenridge with a part of Western Kansas at the end. There are others, but the max upload is ten files, so if you are interested in seeing more let me know and I'll make another post.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382555834718.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555834718.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 314
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382555860569.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555860569.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 305
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382555891307.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555891307.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 293
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382555919469.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555919469.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 321
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382555947508.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555947508.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 299
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382555966640.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555966640.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 316
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382555996362.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382555996362.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 296
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382556016445.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382556016445.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 325
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382556037308.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382556037308.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 301
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382556073950.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382556073950.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 318
Reactions: ByronMc

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Very cool. (course I'm kinda jealous :) ) When did you do this? You also look like you traveled rather light - front and back panniers?

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Yes I traveled fairly light. I only had rear panniers, a front basket for a hydration pack and a small backpack for holding personal items that I kept with me at all times. I left August 13th and got to Breckenridge, CO September 30th. So it was pretty recent. I stopped due to the cold and to ski for the winter after finding a seasonal job and cheap place to live. I already wanna hit the road again. It's just too damn cold out atm. The best states were Colorado and Virginia by far. Missouri was not too bad with the Ozark Mountains, but Kansas was boring aside from the silo and Toronto Lake was pretty nice. Kentucky I didn't really enjoy, just a bunch of slate cliffs, though Breaks Interstate Park was beautiful. Indiana was just corn fields and aside from some Lakes in private neighborhoods I wasn't supposed to be in it was nothing special. Missouri and Illinois did not have much either other than the Mississippi River was pretty cool. I have other pictures floating around. I'll try to upload them at some point since I'm in the same spot for a bit.

EDIT: I was in the process of uploading some more from Kansas, Missouri and Indiana, but this tapatalk app sucks. I'll have to do it later. Some pretty cool sunsets, pictures of blast areas, quarries, the whole nine. I slept anywhere. That was the greatest part of this trip. Made me realize what I need and what I want. Glad I found this site thanks to instagram.

Last edited:

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Man you did travel light! (I've been front & back panniers when I didn't have SAG behind me - SAG meaning traveling somewhat easy style so you have a vehicle behind you with your stuff so you don't have to carry it).

Any issues with break downs, etc? I mean I travel with people who have their roadmaps planned out with where the nearest bike shop is etc. And I've done that too. I always travel with tools and equipped with spares, etc. ... but then there is the time where - fuk - need this part, and I used my last part. But have had good luck hitching to the next town with bike shop. Have also hidden my stuff and gone out and hitched to nearest bike store (or walked) - worrying all the while that my stuff would be gone when I got back. Ahh the relief when it was there!!!!! (I like to travel solo).

Glad you had a great time!!!!

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Yeah well I sold all my possessions before leaving so I just went the minimalist route. It's better to buy gear as you need it then to lug stuff around for thousands of miles and wear yourself out. Doing so will cause you to burn more calories and spend more on food.

Break downs - I broke down a few times. 3 if I remember correctly. Once outside of Vincennes Indiana. The guy at the store sold me the wrong tubes and I didn't realize it until after my back tire popped like 3 times. I wound up walking and riding the rim for 6 to 8 miles to the nearest bike shop. Another time I broke down by a church in Missouri. I hitched a ride 11 miles to Farmington. Stayed at a hostel for a few days for cyclists and waited for the bike shop to open. Oh yeah...forgot about the other time I broke down on a county road near US 31 in Indiana. A random guy pulled over and I hitched a ride to Wal-Mart. As long as you have a positive attitude about every outcome, positive or negative, people are generally friendly and will help you out. Some of the spots I broke down my phone was dead at the time so I had no way of knowing wtf was gonna happen. Just go with the flow. I had tools and many spare tubes, but because I chose to go on a 300 dollar road bike I bought over 4 years ago when I was in college I wound up going through more than I would have liked. I think I went through 20 total for the whole trip. My advice, a surly bike with marathon tires and you should be good. I have a Dawes...surprised it made it this far. I never left my pack though even when I stayed at felons homes who told me stories of meth dealing, burglary, grand theft auto and all other kinds of shit. I learned to accept anyone for who they are and not label. Some of the coolest most friendliest people I met all did at least 5 years in the joint. I just made sure I had a weapon in my pocket and trained myself to wake up every few hours. Traveling solo definitely made the experience better since I went out of my way to talk to people, but I'd like to find someone to travel with...I don't really care who, but train hopping has always fascinated me and I'd like to go with someone experienced. Once April comes I am headed to wherever. I'd like to get to Seattle and head to Alaska from there to find work, but nothing is edged in stone. There's my long rant haha. Thanks though. I did have a great time. I think reading a lot of stories in this forum gave me some motivation to give up everything and go. That and "Into the Wild."

D

Deleted member 2626

Pretty cool, pretttyyyy cooool. I was out in colorado in spring. Met my buddy in the springs. pretty cool town Pike's Peak area is pretty damn cool. I hitched through Loveland and stood on the entrance ramp with my dog for almost two hours to meet my buddy again in Cheyenne. Your bike was 300 dollars I'm sure people have rode way cheaper and did the same thing. I've had a 30 dollar flea market bike for a few years now, beat the shit out of it and what not. Still welded tight rims and all

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
There are others, but the max upload is ten files, so if you are interested in seeing more let me know and I'll make another post.

cool pictures man, i'd like to see more, especially of your bike setup if you have any of those. you should be able to upload as many pics as you want though, i just did a test and was able to upload 23 pics at once with no problem :)

Reactions: briancray

briancray

Reaction score
Website
www.bikethe.us
Weird maybe because I'm on tapatalk I uploaded some of the best pics to my drop box - https://www.dropbox.com/sc/3zpi6qmdyyec3a4/sVqUlAzkVn

Those are from MD to KS. As for my bike setup I have attached a picture.

Front basket held my hydration pack, back rear rack held my sleeping bag, bivy sack, sleeping pad, tarp, whisper lite.

One pannier had clothing and a few books. The other had food, bike gear, and my tablet.

Backpack held wallet and phone and any other snacks for the road.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383606038776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383606038776.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 296
Reactions: East

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads