Completed ctrl+c removes all text in reply box?

unrulywaunder

Pilgrim
Current Location
New York, New York
Why the fuck does hitting ctrl+c when typing a reply delete everything I've typed?

I often connect through shitty internet, so I get into the habit of doing a ctrl+a (select all text) followed by a ctrl+c (copy selected text to clipboard) immediately before I click "Post Thread." This way, if there is an issue with the internet, I don't have to re-type my post. I can just refresh, paste, and click "post."

I can't tell you how many times I've done this on stp, only to have my post forever trashed. When I type "ctrl+c" it just deletes everything I've typed. Why?!?!?!

Can this be fixed?

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Why the fuck does hitting ctrl+c when typing a reply delete everything I've typed?

I often connect through shitty internet, so I get into the habit of doing a ctrl+a (select all text) followed by a ctrl+c (copy selected text to clipboard) immediately before I click "Post Thread." This way, if there is an issue with the internet, I don't have to re-type my post. I can just refresh, paste, and click "post."

I can't tell you how many times I've done this on stp, only to have my post forever trashed. When I type "ctrl+c" it just deletes everything I've typed. Why?!?!?!

Can this be fixed?
yeah, this is definitely not an issue with StP, but rather something wrong with your computer.

just fyi, stp automatically saves what you type in the reply box every 60 seconds. what is saved stays in that box for up to 24 hours, so (assuming the 60 seconds has passed and you've typed something in the box) you can even reload the page and your typed text should still be in the reply box.

moved thread and added more detailed title

mouse

Current Location
Dallas
Maybe the browser/OS/keyboard has remapped Ctrl-C to Ctrl-X. You could test this by immediately Ctrl-V to see if the text is pasted back in.

OP
unrulywaunder

unrulywaunder

Pilgrim
Current Location
New York, New York
> Can't reproduce it. Perhaps you hit ctrl-x by accident?

> Maybe the browser/OS/keyboard has remapped Ctrl-C to Ctrl-X. You could test this by immediately Ctrl-V to see if the text is pasted back in.

lol. I definitely am hitting ctrl+c. A cut would be fine; it's not in my clipboard at all.

I utilize a lot of privacy-oriented modifications in my browser. For example 'dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled' is set to 'false' in firefox to prevent websites from being able to control my clipboard (ie: copy blockers). I also block javascript on all domains and only whitelist only as needed. And I have several other privacy-enhancing plugins.

I don't really care to debug this further, but it's most likely a malfunctioning script as a result of these customizations.

Reactions: mouse

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

Donate to StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$50.00

Latest Status Updates

Today I am most grateful for water towers
Gonna be in Cheyenne for the first time today. If you’re in the area, stop by the crown bar and come rage!
I have a day/night to kill in the Bay Area if anyone is bored.
its friday. someone has your lunch money in their pocket... its time to get down!!!
schmutz wrote on highwayman's profile.
Happy Birthday!
Don't touch it. STOP fucking touching it! - Facebook
I always wanted to do something fun like go on another road trip Hop a Train I am anxious to just leave but I don`t want to do this by my self & I Don`t have any friends with same interestI am tired of getting up going to work and coming home and stareing at walls I like classic rock 60`s 70`s 80`s 90`s If I listed all my groups it would be long list arts and crafts puzzles movies concerts festivals camping books
Good morning to the world; thank you for being kind to me today.
what a great day to be sober.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
nadahappycamper