Completed ctrl+c removes all text in reply box? (1 Viewer)

unrulywaunder

Current Location
Nepal
Why the fuck does hitting ctrl+c when typing a reply delete everything I've typed?

I often connect through shitty internet, so I get into the habit of doing a ctrl+a (select all text) followed by a ctrl+c (copy selected text to clipboard) immediately before I click "Post Thread." This way, if there is an issue with the internet, I don't have to re-type my post. I can just refresh, paste, and click "post."

I can't tell you how many times I've done this on stp, only to have my post forever trashed. When I type "ctrl+c" it just deletes everything I've typed. Why?!?!?!

Can this be fixed?

We sell all kinds of other stuff in our Etsy store!

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Why the fuck does hitting ctrl+c when typing a reply delete everything I've typed?

I often connect through shitty internet, so I get into the habit of doing a ctrl+a (select all text) followed by a ctrl+c (copy selected text to clipboard) immediately before I click "Post Thread." This way, if there is an issue with the internet, I don't have to re-type my post. I can just refresh, paste, and click "post."

I can't tell you how many times I've done this on stp, only to have my post forever trashed. When I type "ctrl+c" it just deletes everything I've typed. Why?!?!?!

Can this be fixed?
yeah, this is definitely not an issue with StP, but rather something wrong with your computer.

just fyi, stp automatically saves what you type in the reply box every 60 seconds. what is saved stays in that box for up to 24 hours, so (assuming the 60 seconds has passed and you've typed something in the box) you can even reload the page and your typed text should still be in the reply box.

moved thread and added more detailed title

mouse

Current Location
Dallas
Maybe the browser/OS/keyboard has remapped Ctrl-C to Ctrl-X. You could test this by immediately Ctrl-V to see if the text is pasted back in.

OP
unrulywaunder

unrulywaunder

Current Location
Nepal
> Can't reproduce it. Perhaps you hit ctrl-x by accident?

> Maybe the browser/OS/keyboard has remapped Ctrl-C to Ctrl-X. You could test this by immediately Ctrl-V to see if the text is pasted back in.

lol. I definitely am hitting ctrl+c. A cut would be fine; it's not in my clipboard at all.

I utilize a lot of privacy-oriented modifications in my browser. For example 'dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled' is set to 'false' in firefox to prevent websites from being able to control my clipboard (ie: copy blockers). I also block javascript on all domains and only whitelist only as needed. And I have several other privacy-enhancing plugins.

I don't really care to debug this further, but it's most likely a malfunctioning script as a result of these customizations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$110.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $110.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Bey
You know...you're gone for a bit, you have some adventures, you come back, and StP is on fucking fire!...Jesus, people, y'all sank the Jamboree?
And our breathe will carry us forward when we don't have the strength to carry ourselves
Might head out again soon. Really missing the road. Currently in the Knoxville area
dumpsternavel wrote on AAAutin's profile.
Your cover photo is glory
We are moving the jamboree to New Orleans this year due to some personal disagreements between myself and the lead organizer of the slab city library. Details can be found on the Jambo information thread.
Fever in the funk house now
Fever in the funkhouse now
nearly got arrested this morning for graffiti crime! I wrote"nice toilet, five stars will shit here again" and this fucking KID who looked like a fucking boy scout wanted to arrest me !?!?!?!?!?!? did I get that drunk I woke up in north korea this morning ?