cross-country gym membership

unrulywaunder

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm looking at driving cross-country for the first time soon, and I was wondering: what's the best gym (for showers) when traveling cross-country?

I imagine "best" would consider:
  1. Cost
  2. Distribution (exists in almost every major city & many towns in-between)
The most important thing is that it has showers. Working out is a side-benefit that's not very important. I guess If they kick me out for wearing boots and well-worn & patched pants, that's a deal breaker.

I was looking at Planet Fitness. Anyone have experience with them? Or know of a better option?

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
planet fitness is ok, but you need the black card membership..
requires direct withdrawal by PF of $20 a month & a $60 annual fee.
also, you can't just quit.. no shit.. you have to send a registered fucking letter to you home gym, notifying them of your desire to cancel..
you can't just walk into a PF & say "i quit", so make sure the $20 is in the account, or your bank might start to fuck you with fees.. as well as having to remember *when* they take it out, so you drop your last 20 when your strung out..

most PF's are in larger towns, so be ready to have to navigate that shit..
there are a bunch in smaller cities, too, but it can be a little hit & miss..
for just a shower it's a questionable deal, but if you're in an area for a few weeks it's def nice to be able to scrub up..

they have this thing called 'hydro-massage'.. pretty fucking bitching, & almost worth the 20, by itself.. def check it out if you go with them..

i dunno about ymca, or even if there might be some hard to find stuff that Pilot or TA may offer, but if you have time, that might be something to poke around on..

check the PF location map..
some states have zero PFs, or only 1 or 2..
west coast is best, of course, east coast follows, in between is hit & miss..

unrulywaunder

Reaction score
planet fitness is ok, but you need the black card membership..
requires direct withdrawal by PF of $20 a month & a $60 annual fee.
also, you can't just quit.. no shit.. you have to send a registered fucking letter to you home gym, notifying them of your desire to cancel..
you can't just walk into a PF & say "i quit", so make sure the $20 is in the account, or your bank might start to fuck you with fees.. as well as having to remember *when* they take it out, so you drop your last 20 when your strung out..

Thanks for the info! Wow, I had no idea I had to give them my bank information. I can't just buy a $100 gift card & give them that? Yikes :(

scoutwilding

rural punk. trans boy.
Reaction score
I've had a YMCA membership in one town and paid $1.00 to use other Y's across the country.
Now I go to planet fitness, which is much cheaper (I have the $10 / month option which give you gym & shower). Both take from a bank account, which I personally don't like, but bleh.

Also-my PF is in a smallish town, as is a YMCA so yeah you can find them in the smaller places as well.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for the info! Wow, I had no idea I had to give them my bank information. I can't just buy a $100 gift card & give them that? Yikes :(

yes, actually... most gyms will take prepaid cards (not sure about gift cards) which then you can just stop putting money on when you want to 'quit'. i actually cover this in a little more detail in my book under the 'making money' chapter.

Chazten

Reaction score
yes, actually... most gyms will take prepaid cards (not sure about gift cards) which then you can just stop putting money on when you want to 'quit'. i actually cover this in a little more detail in my book under the 'making money' chapter.
I think he's asking about PF in which case you most definitely need a real bank account with an account and routing number. I signed up a few months back.

Pervert Pirate

Reaction score
Check out this MapMuse page. There are links to nearly 40 Gym Chains.
The first 4 are: Anytime Fitness, Curves, Plane Fitness, Snap Fitness, and LA Fitness. Then there is a link "Show More Related".

Understand that most of these Guys are with locations east of the Mississippi River. If you look at this image of the USA after dark taken from out in Space, you can begin to understand why west of the Mississippi River doesn't have so much.

https://www.hcn.org/blogs/goat/images-2/UScitiesatnight.jpg/image

You can check each of these businesses and it will display their location on the map beside the list of links.

https://find.mapmuse.com/map/anytime-fitness-center

I found this link on this free links list site:

http://edjautoservices.homestead.com/index.html?_=1448299327090

• Useful
Reactions: unrulywaunder

rusty

Reaction score
I always wondered what the deal is with truck stop showers but i saw this, https://www.ta-petro.com/amenities/Showers
Team_Clean.jpg

Lol Maybe askin a nice trucker for a shower inna pinch? I guess they can get em free, otherwise it sounds pretty steep.

BalancingBear

Reaction score

PF will only take bank accounts now. (Not sure when this change happened) I personally ran into this issue and fought my way through finding out there is no way around it. (Very end of 2017) They bill only through account & routing #s, not card #s. Tis the only reason I dont still have that account myself for showers. I recommend them otherwise, if you are still willing to feed into the bank system.

BalancingBear

Reaction score
I always wondered what the deal is with truck stop showers but i saw this, https://www.ta-petro.com/amenities/Showers
View attachment 44016
Lol Maybe askin a nice trucker for a shower inna pinch? I guess they can get em free, otherwise it sounds pretty steep.
Meh.. I worked in a Petro for a long while. They are not spotless. I would certainly still opt to wearing flip flops in the least to avoid athletes foot. Otherwise I'd feel safe enough using them.
Truckers dont get them free, but at a discounted rate if there is a membership available that they are part of.

Wild Ty Laserbeam

Reaction score

I haven't done it, but I hear the popular with around for that is too use a pre paid Visa card. That way if you decide to stop using them you can stop putting money on the card and they can't do shit about it.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
PF will only take bank accounts now. (Not sure when this change happened) I personally ran into this issue and fought my way through finding out there is no way around it. (Very end of 2017) They bill only through account & routing #s, not card #s. Tis the only reason I dont still have that account myself for showers. I recommend them otherwise, if you are still willing to feed into the bank system.

many prepaid cards (once properly set up) have account #'s and routing numbers, so while i have not tested it, i believe this could still be done with PF.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
24 hour fitness is a good choice. It is country wide, has showers, and is...well...open 24 hours. You just get a card thing to get in the door, anywhere.

Coywolf

Make America Freight Again
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com

You can purchase prepaid cards that act like a bank account, and come with account and routing numbers. I think Bluebird is one of those kinds of cards. Look it up.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads