Cancelled Creating StP Groups/Tribes/Clubs? (1 Viewer)

Jone

Current Location
Montreal, Quebec
I think its a great idea think its a great idea, esp, re: being female. For example, the horrible thread: being females comes with constant harassment. There was no space there for me to even be like "yeah...here's my experience, here's what i know how to do about it, here's what I'm still struggling with, ext" no. The thread is full of ass holes saying it's your fault, blah blah blah bullshit, and there is No space to deal with the real issue, just people getting angry and managing assholes. No space for support, real advice, or sharing similar frustrations, just crazy dudes pissing everyone off taking all the attention. I think when i first got on this site i was like "i wish there was a femme-only STP". Granted the only thing about this is that others cant benefit from the discussion in the same way, but if having open access prevents the conversation from starting at all, whatever. Those dumb disruptive ones are not listening anyway, it seems. Or at least, its not important to me to try to change an idiots mind. Great idea, hope to see it happen!!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Juan Derlust

Resident itinerant paradoxymoron
StP Supporter
Current Location
in medias res
So I get lumped in with straight middleaged white guys - great
might as well register Republican now & get it over with

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Banned
Current Location
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
"Unity! Hey, its such a simple thing. First yours anti rascist but then you're anti gay!"
Lol just kidding. I think its a cool idea but I just hope people don't go off in their own groups never to return again. I enjoy the fact people from differing view come here to discuss it, even if we have to deal with the douche bags every now and then

blumerang

Lurker
Current Location
Lawrence Kansas
Hey folks, I was thinking about creating a new section of the website in which users can create their own groups about whatever they like. Users would be able to have discussions in these groups that could be public or private, and invite others to be members of the group.

I think this might be useful for creating 'safe space' discussions for groups of people like POC, LGBT or female travelers. If the group only allows users that idenitfy as female to access a 'female travelers on the road' group for example, then theoretically that would provide a space where they could have discussions relevant to their life experience without interruption or derailment by folks that aren't marginalized to that extent.

I know some people will WTF at the idea of creating a space where men aren't allowed (for example) but if you've never had a discussion group that was men only, it's an interesting experience and i can absolutely see why this is a useful thing to do in order to push forward the evolution of any kind of personal politics.
This is a brilliant idea! I'm starting to run into the same people on STP now, and I imagine there are things I will want to post that are "tribe" specific. Also, some may find a small degree of anonymity handy for asking embarrassing/personal questions.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
so, if you haven't noticed yet, the groups area is now online and open to the public. give it a try and let me know if you have any problems. check out my group nomadic gamers for an example of the things you can do with a group...

dodi

Lurker
Current Location
Hamilton NSW 2303, Australie
Soooo... Is that still a thing ? Looks like the link you gave is dead (I laughed by the way, but only after 5 seonds of puzzlement ^^) And I haven't seen anything about groups before I came across this thread !

A

AlwaysLost

I deleted myself
I think it is a great idea, a lot easier if we have personal projects we could bring in certain people instead of having to DM.

I'm not allowed in the women's restroom but it never vexxed me all that much.

DrewSTNY

Wayfarer
Current Location
Gang Mills, NY
I think it is a great idea, a lot easier if we have personal projects we could bring in certain people instead of having to DM.

I'm not allowed in the women's restroom but it never vexxed me all that much.
Ha. I used to use them all the time when I worked for the church campground. Of course it was the off season, but it still made people wonder. :p

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Soooo... Is that still a thing ? Looks like the link you gave is dead (I laughed by the way, but only after 5 seonds of puzzlement ^^) And I haven't seen anything about groups before I came across this thread !
I'm looking at bringing this back very soon. I had to take it offline because I was having a lot of problems and bugs with it.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
I think this is a great idea.

Any updates you can give us Matt?
so, i had to terminate this project due to the addon being bug riddled and a complete nightmare to work with. on top of that, the addon author was nearly impossible to get a hold of and took weeks to respond to questions. more and more bugs popped up and even knocked the entire website offline when i tried to uninstall it. i paid $70 for it and it had awful support, and was just a complete waste of time technologically, so i was forced to give up on it. all i could do was give it a bad review which you can see here.

unfortunately, this means that the groups area will not be happening as planned and i do not have any future plans to implement anything similar, since the technology for setting something like this up just doesn't exist at this point.

MamaSow

Current Location
Laramie
so, i had to terminate this project due to the addon being bug riddled and a complete nightmare to work with. on top of that, the addon author was nearly impossible to get a hold of and took weeks to respond to questions. more and more bugs popped up and even knocked the entire website offline when i tried to uninstall it. i paid $70 for it and it had awful support, and was just a complete waste of time technologically, so i was forced to give up on it. all i could do was give it a bad review which you can see here.

unfortunately, this means that the groups area will not be happening as planned and i do not have any future plans to implement anything similar, since the technology for setting something like this up just doesn't exist at this point.
Thanks for the updates. I totally understand.

I appreciate your creativity and skills and that you just try so hard on our behalf. This particular experiment might not have worked out (and I'm sad about the cash lost too; can you get a refund?) yet you can't hold Squat the Planet back.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for the updates. I totally understand.

I appreciate your creativity and skills and that you just try so hard on our behalf. This particular experiment might not have worked out (and I'm sad about the cash lost too; can you get a refund?) yet you can't hold Squat the Planet back.
no problem. StP has always been a passion project of mine, so I don't mind spending the time and money on it. truth is i experiment with new projects to add new features all the time but only a few of those experiments work out... :)

MamaSow

Current Location
Laramie
no problem. StP has always been a passion project of mine, so I don't mind spending the time and money on it. truth is i experiment with new projects to add new features all the time but only a few of those experiments work out... :)
that's the art and the science of it! I know how that feels.

Your passion serves us all and I'm grateful for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

It only took three cities over three different time zones, but I finally got to meet up with @IVth. And, lemme tell ya, it was worth every mile. What a mensch!
dumpsternavel wrote on Erinn Oface's profile.
I wanna see more of your arrrrttttttt
I made it to dayton with time to spare, i went belen/kc(for supplies)/chicago(i got robbed)/indy/dayton. Besides getting robbed in chicago the trip has been great, quick trains good kickdowns and a nice 2 ride hitchhike to dayton.
io2286 wrote on coolusername123's profile.
Hobosexual- someone who has a relationship to get a place to stay
Happy friday the 13th!
Hmu or send something my way
Cheers!
It takes forever to do profiles via smartphone.. I'll fill this out on a laptop later.. me and my wife, Straps, recently moved from NC to central Ohio and are looking for like minded folks. Oldschool punk and metal etc is our tastes but not limited to. She does Vocals as well as I.. I also play bass. And am currently working on a demo. Think serial killer true crime punk.. not 'horror punk'.. true horror, yes.
*will update tonight
wheels are made for rollin/mules are made to pack/I never seen a sight that didnt look better lookin back
walking in the forrest playing funeral doom ambient metal on teh headphones, ahh bliss!

Members online