Cancelled / Rejected Creating StP Groups/Tribes/Clubs?

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
Hey folks, I was thinking about creating a new section of the website in which users can create their own groups about whatever they like. Users would be able to have discussions in these groups that could be public or private, and invite others to be members of the group.

I think this might be useful for creating 'safe space' discussions for groups of people like POC, LGBT or female travelers. If the group only allows users that idenitfy as female to access a 'female travelers on the road' group for example, then theoretically that would provide a space where they could have discussions relevant to their life experience without interruption or derailment by folks that aren't marginalized to that extent.

I know some people will WTF at the idea of creating a space where men aren't allowed (for example) but if you've never had a discussion group that was men only, it's an interesting experience and i can absolutely see why this is a useful thing to do in order to push forward the evolution of any kind of personal politics.

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Lifetime Supporter
Threads
Current Location
Montreal, Canada
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
We used to have this back in the day no?

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
I think it promotes exclusivity in what is otherwise an inclusive community.

OP
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Nomadologist
Staff member
Admin
Threads
Current Location
Walla Walla, WA
Website
youtube.com
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I think it promotes exclusivity in what is otherwise an inclusive community.
i think you're missing the point, as i stated already:

I know some people will WTF at the idea of creating a space where men aren't allowed (for example) but if you've never had a discussion group that was men only, it's an interesting experience and i can absolutely see why this is a useful thing to do in order to push forward the evolution of any kind of personal politics.

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
Not trying to be difficult.

Define man.

How are you going to vet people?

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
let the owner of each group approve any requests to join that group.
If everybody has the ability to do this (create groups) I don't see an issue until group (semi-private) discussions are made public and somebody is somehow hurt.

Probably a good idea.

I know of a trains discussion taking place in the form of a long email.

Threads
Current Location
Fuck Off Land
Reactions
98% 1% 2%
I think it would be a pretty cool feature. Safe spaces are helpful, and necessary.
I believe STP to already be ridiculously inclusive. But, as we've seen by simply posting threads, the conversations we really want be able to "seriously" have, or real questions being posed- have tendencies to get intercepted by folks that aren't concerned about the specific topic, or convos at hand. Simply commenting rubbish. Leaving those involved still with many unanswered/unresolved questions, and confusions.
Having the capability of widespread conversation aside from PM. I'm in favor*

Options are awesome!

Threads
Current Location
Sunny California
Reactions
97% 0% 3%
I think the idea of a "facebook groups" type thing on StP is cool, but I don't know if there are are enough active members to sustain more then a few active groups. Now I'm not trying to run the site down, but StP is already kind of a niche site so I worry about splitting the userbase into smaller, exclusive groups. We could have a bunch of inactive groups, or an inactive homepage. All the sudden all the posts could be in these private groups, and not on the main site. If someone posts some useful info in a group thread that could really help someone who isn't in that group, they couldn't see it right? So if you want my two cents I'd rather these groups be social groups between friends rather than "elite hitchers squad, no greenhorns allowed." or something like that.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading into this too far. Also I'm not much of a SysOp (do they still call 'em that?) but if this new feature would take a long time to develop would it be worth it? You also mentioned StP had these groups in the past, but were they used a lot? Now that they're gone are they missed?

G

Grubblin

I deleted myself
I can see where that would be more welcoming to certain members. I can also see where it would lead to a decline in general discussion when members of that group log on and only post, or read posts, in that private section of the website.

somn

Pilgrim
Threads
Current Location
Marietta, GA
Reactions
93% 2% 5%
I hope some female or queer users will reply to this thread :)

K

Kim Chee

I deleted myself
...I can also see where it would lead to a decline in general discussion when members of that group log on and only post, or read posts, in that private section of the website.
^I'm thinking this.

EphemeralStick

HoMoBo HoBoMo
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
San Jose
Reactions
99% 0% 1%
I think this is a great idea. This would make it easier for marginalized to connect with each other, yes, but it could also be used for much more than that.

I'm assuming that users would be able to join multiple groups, instead of just one. This opens up ways to keep in contact with and even find new people who have similar interests.

Queer groups, POC groups, Gamer groups, train fan groups, activism groups, fuck we could even have a cooking group if we wanted. You could even make groups for road crews you've had in the past as a means of keeping together.
The main forums will still be useful and active, no doubt. Groups are optional after all.

Durp

Vagabond
Threads
Current Location
VA for now
Reactions
98% 0% 1%
I think it is a cool idea. If there is an issue or it doesn't work out you can always end it.

Threads
Current Location
Atlanta, GA
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
I think this is a pretty decent idea. However, I could potentially see groups getting out of hand and diminishing the quality of the default forums. I guess I'm just overthinking it. I suppose you have my vote for it.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
Rochester, NY
Reactions
99% 0% 0%
I think it's a good idea and like another member above me said - if it doesn't work out it can always go away. I've been on some sites that had some private rooms and I was a member in some - kind of was my laundry list - start out on the main board then go check out who's in the different "rooms".

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Threads
Current Location
171 Market St, Newark, NJ 07102, USA
Reactions
89% 1% 10%
Did this using the pm system, which seems for the most part to work just fine for group conversation - barring the fact that it can't be broken down into subthreads like Reddit or something which is more an issue of software style/format and no big deal.. Only complaint is that my leaving the group seems to have killed the entire 6-7 pages altogether. Lots of good info lost.
So maybe the pm system not so good, if only just because of little issues like that and it would be nice to see it beefed up a bit to be more multifunctional, maybe.