Craving the Nomadic Life.

Roger Blu

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been on STP for a while but this is the first time I post, the reason for this is because I feel i need wisdom beyond what I can percieve in my day to day and through my peers. Any advice from anyone will be very much appreciated.

The thing is, for the better part of my life I've been trying to convince myself that I'm ok with how the world shapes and demands it, but, after a deep depression early this year that almost led me to suicide, I've been increasingly concerned about my abilities to cope and the negative effect that coping would have on my mental health. I'm relatively ok now and I've built a lot of spiritual strength to get through things, but I'm always wondering if there's a simpler, more fulfilling way to live. And how to do it. And how to get started.

Should I just fucking go and learn along the way even if I have no experience whatsoever?
Should I be patient and learn to tattoo, train my dog, get my health in check and prepare even if it means continuing to "live" in such a hostile world? If so, what are the essential things I should prepare for?

I'd like to hear from both sides of the spectrum. Maybe the answers to these questions seem obvious but I really have no point of reference and don't want to do anything too impulsive or too prudent.

A lil bit about myself:

I've been living alone for over a year now, have a small dog, finished art school a while ago but haven't got my license, i have a number of health conditions that for the moment don't seem to be too serious (UTI and a compressed nerve near my lower back) and I'm thinking of learning how to tattoo so I could live off that while I'm on the road.

I'm interested in woofing and communes but my heart aches for roaming around the world with my dog and my bicycle.

Thanks for reading. Any word is welcome.

Reactions: autumn

LazyMofo

Reaction score
I say do it. When you feel the call, the only thing to do is to answer it.

Whether you should wait or not depends on you. Sure-- you could spend months (years?) training your dog and learning to tattoo, but never actually ever hit the road because you spend so much time preparing. I once said in a song, "Patience is a virtue....but if you take too long, all that waiting will hurt you."

Take from that what you will. But that's always been my biggest motivator. I'd rather take the risk and fail than to be cautious and never do anything.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads