Pest Control While Rubber Tramping

LaShea

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to hit the road next month. I use Frontline on my dog. Even so, I'm still worried about fleas and ticks getting into the Jeep and breeding. I picked up a couple with a dog once and had a horrible infestation afterwards. Any tips on how to minimize this? I enjoy meeting and helping others while traveling. I just don't want to go through that again.

Reactions: Mankini

hermitdan69

Reaction score
That's a concern of mine too and partly why I'm reluctant to offer rides in my van. I can handle some dirt tracked in but not bugs. This is my full-time home. I don't leave any mess around to attract ants, cockroaches, mice, etc. Plus I'm kind of a neat freak and like to have everything in its place. Probably had 8-10 gals offer to travel with me in the last couple years but she would have to really be special for me to share my space. People can be pests too.

Last edited by a moderator:

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
one of the best things is mothballs..

there are two types; "old fashioned" (naphtha based) and chloro-benzine based.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mothball

I prefer the naptha based.
both cost about $1 to $4 a box (usually about 2 at walmart or dollar store).
WM has naptha, usually.. dollar stores generally the CB based.

typically i'll put what i don't use in a double heavy zip-lock & stow it..

to start with i'll crush about 6 of them & sprinkle the powder throughout the vehicle..
this is pungent stuff, & the smell will be with you for a while, so you might want to experiment, first.

this stuff keeps out spiders, roaches (btw, boric acid is cheap (dollar store) & an effective passive deterrent), ants, fleas, etc..

not 100% effective, by any means, but definitely an active deterrent..

discovered this when i put my 1974 dodge xplorer in outdoor storage in florida..
figured that if it was a deterrent to moth & larvae, it should be broader spectrum to some extent, and it was.

now.. admittedly i used at least on box, & maybe 2, but after 6 months of months of warm, humid storage, i came back & there were *no* fucking ants, *no* fucking roaches & no spiders, either.. maybe a couple of webs, but nothing serious.. & the damn thing still smelled like the round little bastards, so it worked..

also have had a number of dogs in my vehicles & no infestations..
i'm not keen on folks who can't care for dogs or animals they carry, so don't feel bad if you limit the rides you can give them.. i mean, it's sweet to travel & to help, but there's a minimum responsibility people need to accept in order to actually travel, rather than just usurp..

naphtha is reactive.. not highly in its solid form, but it can react slowly with plastics & fabric, book covers..
the powder isn't a big deal..

i actually throw whole balls into corners.. about 10 or 15 after a bit of powder..

it's a cheap experiment.. i suspect it fucks with metamorphal development in any insect.

in any case, read the wiki & good luck..

C

i've picked

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini and LaShea

LaShea

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips. It's been awhile since I was on the road. Leather tramps, who suspected they had pests, only accepted rides if they could hop in the back of a pickup truck. Life is hard on the road, you don't make it harder for each other.

I never thought I would be reluctant to help other travelers but I am. Pests aren't my only concern. People seem to help themselves too much. Violence has increased. I really don't want to discriminate because I know how it feels. This time I'm definitely being cautious. I've had too many bad experiences with the new kids. You just don't kick someone down when they're already down and out. Kids acting like big brother...smh

LaShea

Reaction score
What's a leather tramp? Is that a real thing? To judge all travelers based on the actions of a few is no better than being a yuppie

Being cautious isn't discriminating. Secondly, just because a person wants to be independent doesn't make them a yuppie. Spend some time in a wheelchair and lose yours once. Guess you lack empathy and just see any easy target.

Go harass some other female, disabled person, etc or is that what gets you off? I'm sick of your attacks when I never did anything to you! I refuse to cower to a bully.

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
I'm not somebody who preys on people...actually I'm a great person who helps tons of people in all my travels. I understand being cautious...I live my life along Americas railroad tracks and deal with the scummiest of scum fairly frequently...

I don't go through life trying to pick out targets I'm not a malicious person...

When have I attacked you or bullied you? Cuz I gave you some shit for discriminating against that kid for wanting to fly a sign? That's hardly bullying. I was just being realistic.

I too am considered disabled as I suffer from PTSD and severe anxiety. S

LaShea

Reaction score
I didn't want him flying one around me. The vehicle wasn't completely legal. That will be taken care of of
now. It's my home. I don't need it taken from me because someone is too afraid to go someplace else out of fear of getting ditched. When you're a guest in someone's you respect their rules. He agreed not to and I learned the truth. Too much actually.

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
You won't get your vehicle taken because somebody with you is flying a sign, I've rubber tramped plenty and I am a professional train tramp and have panhandled from coast to coast...I understood your fears there but they are completely unwarranted. If these are the types of things you are worried about then don't keep company with tramps. Most are good hearted folks who might not give you the shirt off of their back, but they will help you get a shirt for free, if you get what I'm saying.

Yes it's your home, don't let scumbags in if you don't want bugs...don't pick up hitchhikers who appear filthy, that's how to keep bugs off.

Good luck safe travels

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Mann.........

Girls are so scared of bugs...

Damn shitttt...

My nieces went NUCLEAR BALLISTIC years and years ago at a camping site cuz of a massive June bug convention.

Buggers were buzzing and vibrating like a carpet allover silly.

I really felt bad for the girls... they were in true hysterics.
lol...
::hilarious::
haha... bwahah...

Didn't help that they're pa was being an asshole about it.

Still... I understand.
And I offer my protection against the insecticidal invasion.

"Punches FIST into the air."
::bored::
Anytime Anywhere.
::borg::
I will eliminate the...

Or....... maybe not.

Hehe...

it's more fun this way.

• Haha
Reactions: LaShea and Mankini

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Also...

Keep your ears clean.

• Sad
Reactions: LaShea and Mankini
D

Deleted member 13433

definately stay the fuck out of CT.

where I'm at, you will get your ride taken from you simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time if it's not a 100% legit.

does not matter if you are not doing anything wrong, if the cops are rolling through they look at every damn thing that's in their view.

so, in light of what goes on here, I'd say the girl was right in telling him to go fly a sign somewhere else and if he was scared to do so, well that's on him not her...

regarding rides, last male I picked up - well, this 6'7ft 200 lb foo' [meaning me back then] got lucky because while yes I was out $40.00, I found the hitcher's ice pick on the floor so yeah, he kinda ruined it for everyone else out hitching, however - if someone is obviously in distress I will help them out.

like the time I came across a very worried teen, she needed a ride to the abortion clinic and was real scared.
I drove her and offered any assistence that she could use, but she just needed to get inside in one piece.
Ha !!
I remember now the protesters outside [we were in my hot rod plymouth duster 340] and she was worried about my car, I told her if they do anything stupid I'm running them over.
I hope she got out of there alive..... as those people out front were vicious.

back to flying signs, yesterday in a god forsaken place called handem I saw all kinds of people flying signs everywhere, one kid had a nice looking pit so I promised myself on the way back I'd see if the dog was ok.

no lie - 10 minutes later.... it was pretty obvious the cops rolled through cause everyone was gone without a trace.

**if your ride is your home and your dogs home, you worry about yourself and your dog and keeping that ride of yours safe and sound.

**forget everything else.

LaShea

Reaction score
definately stay the fuck out of CT.

where I'm at, you will get your ride taken from you simply by being at the wrong place at the wrong time if it's not a 100% legit.

does not matter if you are not doing anything wrong, if the cops are rolling through they look at every damn thing that's in their view.

so, in light of what goes on here, I'd say the girl was right in telling him to go fly a sign somewhere else and if he was scared to do so, well that's on him not her...

regarding rides, last male I picked up - well, this 6'7ft 200 lb foo' [meaning me back then] got lucky because while yes I was out $40.00, I found the hitcher's ice pick on the floor so yeah, he kinda ruined it for everyone else out hitching, however - if someone is obviously in distress I will help them out.

like the time I came across a very worried teen, she needed a ride to the abortion clinic and was real scared.
I drove her and offered any assistence that she could use, but she just needed to get inside in one piece.
Ha !!
I remember now the protesters outside [we were in my hot rod plymouth duster 340] and she was worried about my car, I told her if they do anything stupid I'm running them over.
I hope she got out of there alive..... as those people out front were vicious.

back to flying signs, yesterday in a god forsaken place called handem I saw all kinds of people flying signs everywhere, one kid had a nice looking pit so I promised myself on the way back I'd see if the dog was ok.

no lie - 10 minutes later.... it was pretty obvious the cops rolled through cause everyone was gone without a trace.

**if your ride is your home and your dogs home, you worry about yourself and your dog and keeping that ride of yours safe and sound.

**forget everything else.

Vagrancy laws are getting worse. I know numerous people who lost their legal vehicles, pets, possessions, etc just because someone thought they were an eyesore. Depending on where you fly a sign here, you'll be arrest for loitering, solicitation, obstructing traffic, harassment, public nuisance, etc. They do sweeps too. If you can't prove your residence or you're unemployed, you're screwed.

I never been to CT but my friend Randy (RIP) was from their. He told me some horror stories. That was almost 10yrs ago. Some states are out of control. He was killed in CT, by a drunk driver, in a hit and run. Great guy who preferred to leather tramp, around the US, with his guitar.

I was actually thinking about looking fir his sister in the spring. Is there any place safe in CT for travelers

Thanks for the heads up and support. Nice to meet another from CT. Hopefully your actions will be seen and rub off on others,

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
Ive never been arrested or had my dog taken away because of panhandling or loitering, etc. and I've traveled all over the country for many years with a dog on my feet as a tramp. Respect goes a long long way. Yeah I've gotten some trespassing tickets but that's about it. Still have my dog still have my freedom.

You newbies have some irrational fears I thinks. Stay home if your afraid.

Oh ya but this thread was about bugs....umm clothes and blankets can be washed and bugs can be killed. Even scabies aren't THAT bad when it boils down to it..

LaShea

Reaction score
Ive never been arrested or had my dog taken away because of panhandling or loitering, etc. and I've traveled all over the country for many years with a dog on my feet as a tramp. Respect goes a long long way. Yeah I've gotten some trespassing tickets but that's about it. Still have my dog still have my freedom.

You newbies have some irrational fears I thinks. Stay home if your afraid.

Oh ya but this thread was about bugs....umm clothes and blankets can be washed and bugs can be killed. Even scabies aren't THAT bad when it boils down to it..

How many times do I need to tell you to leave me alone? I'm experienced and I'm sick your attacks. Odd you didn't do this during cat or to other posters. Then again, they were men.

Seems like you and your friend are just upset because the meal ticket you had lined up, wised up!

psychofoamer

asshole
Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.paynepress.com
Your crazy. I post realistic things on tons of post on here. I could care less if you were a woman or a man or a transvestite or whatever. This is a public forum you posted in. He's not even my buddy and I don't need you as a meal ticket I hustle my own dollars.

Not my fault your insecure. You asked advice I've been giving it. Take it or leave it.

Durp

Reaction score
What the fuck is wrong with you? are you unstable or some shit? No one is attacking you! You will not last long on the road with your current attitude. You need to learn some exceptince, respect, empathy, and drop your shitty confrontational attitude along with your over active paranoia. The way you are acting on here, if you act this way on the road you will have nothing but pain, misery, and loneliness. What are you some undercover yuppie?

Reactions: psychofoamer

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads