Cornelius Vango (Kelsey Abeler) should be avoided at all costs | Squat the Planet

Cornelius Vango (Kelsey Abeler) should be avoided at all costs

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
(Note from the Staff: After several days of talking it over, the staff here at StP has found it necessary to move this thread to the Untrustworthy and Shady forum. Please know that this decision was not made lightly and that it is something that was discussed at length.

Cornelius has proven on multiple occasions to be an abusive person both emotionally, verbally, and occasionally physically. They have long used their position on this site, their youtube channel, and their status in the nomad community to repeatedly avoid repercussions and responsibility for their abuse of other people.

We understand that a lot of users are going to have mixed feelings about this. All we can say is that you read through this thread, take what information is given by their accusers, and make the decision for yourself whether or not to place trust in this person.

We take accountability very seriously and we, the staff, will always try to hold our own accountable for their actions. We also encourage any persons who have experienced malicious treatment from Corn to come forward and share your stories. Their behavior is unacceptable and their gaslighting and denial of their actions speaks to the nature of their character.)

Update, March 2022: This person's abuses have gone far beyond just drama related to StP, so much so that an independent accountability website (unrelated to StP) has been published here:

I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dmac

Reaction score
That sucks! You'd think people would be respectful when you are hosting them at your place. Common courtesy is disappearing

D

Deleted member 125

I regret to announce that I will no longer be associating myself with squat the planet due to a very deep and nuanced personal disagreement and subsequent disrespect. If you would like to get the full story, feel free to contact me directly. I will still be hosting this year's annual party as i have for the past four years.

Kinda not really any of my business since I don't know you or whoever person or people the disagreement and disrespect came from personally and wasn't planning on going to the jambo, but if it's a big enough thing that you wanna disassociate yerself with stp then I kinda wonder why you'd still even be willing to host the party? Like "fuck y'all or at least a few in particular but you can all still party at my house". Seems kinda off to me. Either way dude take it easy.

Cornelius Vango

Chaos Magician
Banned
Reaction score
Kinda not really any of my business since I don't know you or whoever person or people the disagreement and disrespect came from personally and wasn't planning on going to the jambo, but if it's a big enough thing that you wanna disassociate yerself with stp then I kinda wonder why you'd still even be willing to host the party? Like "fuck y'all or at least a few in particular but you can all still party at my house". Seems kinda off to me. Either way dude take it easy.

My disagreement is with Matt Derrick alone. I love the rest of this community too much to shut down the party and expedition. Ive been doing this shit longer than ive been associated with this site and i dont need it to continue.

I can no longer in good conscience support and associate with Matt.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Who doesn't love a party thrown by one person and hosted by another and they've got beef with each other. I can't possibly imagine a scenario where this could go off the rails and become a huge suckfest. Without choosing sides, I think with you guys having drama like this, you hosting is a bad idea.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I expect to be banned at some point so if all this disappears, you know where im at.

As I stated in the discord, I don't ban people for personal grievances, I ban them for breaking the website rules.

I also think it's very petty and unfair for you to literally make up lies about me being transphobic and other such nonsense (this was posted in the discord this morning). Folks that know me in real life know me better than that.

I could go into the whole drama fest, but I'm typing this from my phone with limited reception so I'm at a pretty steep disadvantage until I can get off the road somewhere.

Also, the entire situation is just so boring and petty that it's not much of a story at all. So for those interested in sending corn a PM for the 'details' keep in mind there are two sides to every story and in this scenario it's more about what this person is leaving out than what they are telling you.

It's true that I am disassociating myself with Cornelius and the library until it changes management. This also means the StP Jamboree will be changing locations, which is something I have been trying to do for some time anyways.

If you would still like to attend Cornelius' party, you're more than welcome to do so and I have no ill feelings towards anyone that wants to do that.

I'll get back to folks here in a few days when we get the changes to this years Jambo worked out.

D

Deleted member 8978

I might have bent a rule or two here and there, but out of all of the websites I ever visited, this is by far the most kick ass one I ever been to. I can't just go on a rant and shoot myself in the foot during the process, I'd rather take it somewhere else. If you get annoyed of if I feel you're getting annoyed, I'd just say nothing and fall back. That would be the best thing to do. Hell, even I am typing on a smartphone, crazy isn't it?!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Sorry for the bad feelings, I do hope to get out to the slabs with friends and once I have a new hip. Take care.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Holy Shit... I've never truly been in crowd just mod for a lil while... ... hell... I'm a hermit... kinda... but i never knew this kinda shit would happend... it's like if Dunkin Doughnuts and Baskin Robbins split up... where DA fuck do I go to get wifi!!!

... I've met a small handful of folks offa here and its been a fountain of info and much brain thinking.... and just cracking jokes and shit...

Might be just tired and fucked up... but hope it's not to big a deal.

I really have no clue whats up and I hope things can be resolved .. uh goodly??

Don't know what else to say.

::cyclops::

• Agree
Reactions: LEAN

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
so i've finally gotten somewhere I can talk about this in detail... but honestly, after thinking about it for a bit, I think the most adult thing to do here is just let it go. it's a whole lot of drama over some truly silly bullcrap that went too far; we've both gone our separate ways and it's a shame things worked out the way they did.

so if corn isn't going to keep kicking this hornet's nest, i don't see the point in doing so either.

Jimmy Beans

Bad Order Hoghead
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
so if corn isn't going to keep kicking this hornet's nest, i don't see the point in doing so either.
That would be the most mature way of handling it, hopefully that's how it plays out.

roughdraft

Reaction score
so i've finally gotten somewhere I can talk about this in detail... but honestly, after thinking about it for a bit, I think the most adult thing to do here is just let it go. it's a whole lot of drama over some truly silly bullcrap that went too far; we've both gone our separate ways and it's a shame things worked out the way they did.

Nice call

I don't know either of yall "IRL" but apparently im enough of a dingdong to stick my nose in the business here so here i go

a lot of fall-out argument/bridge burni stuff I'VE been through is like you say "bullcrap" or absurd as id say - shit happens, flush it, and rise to the future. That's where i am at with my own shit too, anyway.

• Useful
Reactions: Juan Derlust

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads