Confined in CT

Peace

Reaction score
Hello all!
I've been away from STP for almost 2 years, and my situation has changed a bit. So, I figured I'd make a new intro post since it's been so long.

Two years ago, I took some time off after finishing an MA degree to follow my other dreams of wanderlust. Traveling during this time was the best of my life. I grew up poor/sometimes homeless, so to enjoy not having a home was odd for me, yet it was the most amazing feeling I've ever known. I even met my now-husband on the road.

Eventually, my goal of becoming a psychologist took precedence over travelling, and last fall I began a doctoral program in clinical psych. Thus, I am stuck in CT for the foreseeable future and have very little time for adventure. I am losing my mind.

My birthday is in a few days, and I feel like I'm wasting my life. Although becoming a psychologist has always been my goal, being stuck in one place with no time for travel is taking a toll on my psyche. I decided to log back into STP with hopes of finding support, local friends, and ideas of places in the NE where I can go for a day trip (urban exploration, shows, anywhere). So please, if you're in CT or just passing through, be my friend :0) Also, if anyone has ideas on day trips, I'd love to hear them!

Thanks for reading,
Peace

A

AnOldHope

I hope you get some sort of grant to travel and gather case study data on people in various regions in support of a neuro-cultural interdynamic to build a model on homo sapien nomadic urges emerging in industrial societies. I don't know anything about psychology, but it seems a trained person heading out like a Louis and Clark of the mind, mapping the topologies that society sometimes ignores, would be useful data.

Plus, then at your dissertation defense (if your program requires one), you can tell them "Well, this motherfucker rolled up aggro on me so I had to shiv him with the sharpened railroad spike I keep duct-taped to my note taking stylus (please see diagram 1.6, more study is needed on aggro motherfuckers)".

freegander

Reaction score
Website
shelivesinavan.com
began a doctoral program in clinical psych... I am losing my mind.

Crazy how that happens, isn't it?

You seem like a wonderful person and I hope you find ways to explore and get out of your mind in CT! I've never spent much time in the NE, but i've heard it's beautiful!

do you do any cycling? I have a friend in Boston who bikes around the NE all the time, and it seems like that would be a splendid way to explore the countryside.

Peace

Reaction score
I hope you get some sort of grant to travel and gather case study data on people in various regions in support of a neuro-cultural interdynamic to build a model on homo sapien nomadic urges emerging in industrial societies. I don't know anything about psychology, but it seems a trained person heading out like a Louis and Clark of the mind, mapping the topologies that society sometimes ignores, would be useful data.

Plus, then at your dissertation defense (if your program requires one), you can tell them "Well, this motherfucker rolled up aggro on me so I had to shiv him with the sharpened railroad spike I keep duct-taped to my note taking stylus (please see diagram 1.6, more study is needed on aggro motherfuckers)".

Unfortunately, my grant money doesn't pay for travel. I'm actually doing research on displaced LGBTQ+ youth and looking at their resilience levels. I get paid to talk to street kids about their travels and the DK music scene. It's great, but it just makes me miss travelling even more. Like, why am I studying this when I can be living it?

Reactions: Juan Derlust

Peace

Reaction score
Crazy how that happens, isn't it?

You seem like a wonderful person and I hope you find ways to explore and get out of your mind in CT! I've never spent much time in the NE, but i've heard it's beautiful!

do you do any cycling? I have a friend in Boston who bikes around the NE all the time, and it seems like that would be a splendid way to explore the countryside.
Thanks! I've never tried cycling, but it's something I could check out!

A

AnOldHope

Unfortunately, my grant money doesn't pay for travel. I'm actually doing research on displaced LGBTQ+ youth and looking at their resilience levels. I get paid to talk to street kids about their travels and the DK music scene. It's great, but it just makes me miss travelling even more. Like, why am I studying this when I can be living it?

I don't know what "DK" is (in my day it was Donkey Kong).

So our society doesn't want to prioritize research into what's happening with young people, with culture, with how people are living, because it would cut into our "bomb people in other countries" budget, which apparently is heading north by $54,000,000,000.

I want some coffee. Fuck.

Peace

Reaction score
I don't know what "DK" is (in my day it was Donkey Kong).

So our society doesn't want to prioritize research into what's happening with young people, with culture, with how people are living, because it would cut into our "bomb people in other countries" budget, which apparently is heading north by $54,000,000,000.

I want some coffee. Fuck.
DK= Dirty Kid.

There is NO money in psychological research that can actually help people. All of the funding goes to big pharm. Don't even get me started on this! lol

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads