Community movie night at 8pm CST! Voice/text chat via discord and twitch (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Hey everyone! I want to try out an idea tonight; since so many of us are trapped indoors during this whole corona virus thing, I figured we might as well start getting some social events going around here, including some weekly voice chat sessions, watch some ridiculous movies together, or maybe even play some D&D online!

Tonight though, at 8pm CST I'm testing streaming a movie preceded by some short clips while everyone can chat via text or voice chat. You can text chat in our discord server or on our twitch channel, but if you want to join in the voice chat you'll have to do it on discord. All chats will show up on the movie as it happens, so you won't miss anything if you can only watch on your phone/tablet (although if you only have a mobile device, you can still text chat on twitch!)

The movie will be voted on before the stream, but I'm personally pushing for MST3K/Rifftrax or National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon :p

Of course if you have any suggestions, feel free to post them! Especially movies that are 'so bad it's good'!

Last edited:
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

Thewalkindude

Wanderer
Never played d&d online but I've been craving to play for months now!! Also Miami connection would be a great candidate, it's the epitome of so bad it's good

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
we ended up having a lot of difficulties with the movie setup until we switch to broadcasting directly from discord. the movie part didn't work out super well, but we did have fun on voice chat, so we are going to do that every wednesday from now on at 7pm CST. this should be easier for a lot of folks since voice and video chat can be done in both a web browser or with the official client on desktop/mobile.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
I've forgotten my discord password/email login so it'll be difficult to do anything until so get back to my lappy which has it stored. But I wanted to say @matt, try to reach out to Somfas on discord if you can DM people not on your friends list idk? Tell him you're my friend and ask him which site he uses to watch movies through discord. It seemed like we used a third party type app to watch movies together and just used discord to chat during the movie. It worked out pretty great though. There's definitely a way to do it, I've seent it done.

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I've forgotten my discord password/email login so it'll be difficult to do anything until so get back to my lappy which has it stored. But I wanted to say @matt, try to reach out to Somfas on discord if you can DM people not on your friends list idk? Tell him you're my friend and ask him which site he uses to watch movies through discord. It seemed like we used a third party type app to watch movies together and just used discord to chat during the movie. It worked out pretty great though. There's definitely a way to do it, I've seent it done.

don't forget you have to tag me as @Matt Derrick otherwise i won't get the alert.

you can do a password reset of discord from you phone if you need to.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
don't forget you have to tag me as @Matt Derrick otherwise i won't get the alert.

you can do a password reset of discord from you phone if you need to.
Ahh, yeah I figured you'd get an alert even if I @dad(ed) you since you're OP/already involved in the thread. Also can't remember which email I used for discord so cantt quite reset it yet. Also also forgot my username and it's asking me for that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$60.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $60.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $60.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $60.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.