Commenters on Reddit try to wrap their heads around Mike Brodie's famous trainhopping photos (1 Viewer)

Tony Pro

Rambler
Hometown
Denver
Website
gavincwillow.wordpress.com
Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
Hometown
Florence, South Carolina
"Theres a lot of these train hopping folk where i live. We call them 'Crusties'. Im friends with some of them, and they smell terrible. A lot of these "Crusties" are trust fund kids with a lot of money. Those are called 'Shwillies'."

That one got me in particular, lol.
I think that traveling has replaced punk rock as the single most misunderstood subculture in the western world. Then again, there's some real shit bags out there who give travelers/crusties a bad name. Stealing from individuals is bullshit, especially average folks just trying to get by day to day. Stealing from other travelers is maybe even a step lower. I know a guy who almost got his van stolen by a kid he was just trying to help out. Same kid had the nerve to contact him a few months later, asking for another ride.
It's also bullshit to give someone a hard time for not giving into your spange line. If somebody doesn't want to give you money, smile politely and thank them anyway. Nobody owes you shit.
::soapbox::

All in all, hilarious comments on this reddit thread.

Frodo

Rambler
Hometown
Plymouth, United States
i always find the amount of rage and misconceptions in these threads unreal. I dont get where it comes from. i guess scum fucks being the only exposure to the culture they get, people must think all travellers are like this. god forbid someone finds a way to be happy without following the status quo. perhaps there is a ting of jealousy in those comments as well.

and what is with all the weird comments about white kids and their perfect skin?

Last edited:

1lostnate

Lurker
Not everyone who hops trains is crusty, and we don't all smell bad. Crust is a sub genre of punk. It's a style of living mostly about not giving a Fuck. Usually attributed with drug use And violence. Hep c and dirty rigs are funny jokes. Being schwilly is an adjective to describe alcoholism. It has nothing to do with how much money you have. Those are trust fund punks. These pictures are real old and some have been featured in Mostly True, a hobo zine. Stealing happens all the time. You beat your dog in front of the wrong kids, it's gonna get taken. Violence runs rampant. Someone thinks you fucked up, you' re probably taking a trip to the E.R. A van did get stolen and rolled at black sheep this year in California. There was a knife fight in my squat in nola 2 weeks ago. my road dog od'd twice the first 3 days we were there. So did a bunch of other kids. kid lost his foot, hopping his second train ever, on riverside.watched half a dozen people get stomped. We got pulled out of bed at gunpoint by crackheads and robbed. Someone stole my pack off a grainer porch while I was sleeping and they left me with no water. That's crusty. The people commenting wouldn't understand even if we had a reality tv show.

Edit: just re-read this and I sound like a oogle cunt. I'm not proud of any of this. It's all awful.

Last edited:

wizehop

Chasing the Darkness
Hometown
Montreal, Canada
All opinions are valid. The issue here comes down to visibility.

This reminds me of an article I read a while back on drugs in society. It basically talked about how 95% of the (drug user) population used drugs recreationally and still managed to hold their life down. You know, go to work, pay bills, not end up at the psych ward, and so on.

The other 5% develop serious problems and end up on the street living is squaller. Since the worse off 5% are out there in public view, they make-up for 100% of the visibility. So the drug problem basically looks a lot worse than it really is because we only every notice the worst cases.

Its the same with "train hoppers". The only ones people ever really notice, are the nasty guttercunts. So since they make up 100% of what people see, that's what society has come to think of the whole group.

Its always been this way

bystander

Pilgrim
Hometown
Earth
anyone else notice this picture? That little blue BMW convertible being towed looks like its gunna get blown the fuck up by that RV. Its turned all sideways & shit! That RV Looks like its making impact too.

s8pjh20-jpg.28787

Raging Bird

Wayfarer
Hometown
New Orleans
Website
www.ragingbirdofyouth.tumblr.com
The rage definitely comes from jealousy. Normal life sucks, take it from me, I'm living it right now. To work your ass off all day just to make basic ends meet, then see rich white kids who (let's be honest) frequently survive by mooching off of others and spend their time hanging out and partying...it definitely seems like cheating. A lot of those guys are probably too old and missed their chance to just jump on a train and run away from all the bullshit in their lives. The general attitude is, I have to put up with all this shit, fuck you for not having to also.

Hometown
Florence, South Carolina
The rage definitely comes from jealousy. Normal life sucks, take it from me, I'm living it right now. To work your ass off all day just to make basic ends meet, then see rich white kids who (let's be honest) frequently survive by mooching off of others and spend their time hanging out and partying...it definitely seems like cheating. A lot of those guys are probably too old and missed their chance to just jump on a train and run away from all the bullshit in their lives. The general attitude is, I have to put up with all this shit, fuck you for not having to also.
It does seem like cheating, doesn't it? I mean, some people never do hop outside the box of society, or look at the unwritten rules of our culture and tell the emperor that he has no clothes. From all of the complaining many people do about their shitty jobs and their "ball and chain" spouses, you can tell that many really do want to be free, deep down. A lot of folks are really free spirits and anarchists at heart, but business people in wardrobe and in lifestyle.

They see somebody running around the country in a van, or hopping trains and smoking ganja every day, having the time of their lives, somebody spending their days doing work trade on beautiful organic farms with a bunch of hippies, somebody living in a cob house under a meadow and daydreaming the time away... of course they get jealous. They wish they'd tried that. They wish they'd had the balls to listen to that little voice in the back of their head whispering, "Hey. You don't really want to do this. You know this game is dumb. Drop out of business school. Go see the world. Convert a bus. Hop a train. Live in the woods and be an outlaw. Build your own house on your own land and run away whenever you want. You know who you REALLY are."

Alas, for many, it is too late. They have mortgages. Careers that they don't love, but spent years building. Kids. Wives. College debt. They've got too much invested in this game, ya know?

So, yes, I can see a lot of it being jealousy.

Reminds me of an old Bill Hicks routine, hehe.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Hometown
Earth
Website
www.youtube.com
Drop out of business school. Go see the world. Convert a bus. Hop a train. Live in the woods and be an outlaw. Build your own house on your own land and run away whenever you want. You know who you REALLY are."
Right now... who I really am...? Is silly... kinda serious... and I got a small comb... trying to frigging get this Brillo beard in order... its late tonight... maybe some wax and conditioner will help. (usually not my thing... ... eh err... ) *scraggly bush but I'm a bit obsessed maybe another ten years and I could style it into something artistic.

Not that I expect a woman will like it... but meh... since when am I in the business of pleasing women? :D

(... ... hey it's not Like I have not made an effort...::angelic::)

(... haha... yea actually... I have tried... lol... eh... to all those ladies. BLah blah blah... and bushels of Pfffftsss ::joyful::)

Happy Valentines or something... all you girls. ;)

Alas, for many, it is too late
\

Nawww... ... no?... naww...

E

etpyh

I deleted myself
"Rich people don't know what to do with their money anymore. I mean you need a lot of money far away from your home on trains for 5 years"

D

Desert

I deleted myself
It is human nature to want to roam and to be accepted. Old punks old hippies with the massive congos are my favorite people. They said fuck everything but finding my own happiness, did what they wanted and are still kicking to piss people off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$100.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $50.00 of $50.00 - reached!
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $75.00 of $75.00 - reached!
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $100.00 of $100.00 - reached!
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $100.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

Beautiful day to be alive and listen to the birds chirp, remembering to be grateful for what we have and not worry about what we have not.
Healthy in PDX. Back here after years to keep track of those bugging out and to check in on those still on the road.
Just found out my neighbor died. One day I'm helping him change his starter, the next he's gone. Just walked around inside his house. That would be the first time I have smelled death. The eeriest though was that the UPS guy still left him a package. PS He was a big John Wayne fan!! RIP Rick!
SIX10 wrote on Cussock's profile.
whatz your avatar from?? looks sick
Twin cities folks, anybody looking to go out, maintain a respectable distance, and explore something this Friday night?
Committed phone memory to two of these guys albums just last night, after not listening to them for years. Found out today that one of em died just two days prior.
They fathered ebm in 1981 -the same genre of industrial that NIN brought to the mainstream over 10 years later.

Dude thinks he's gonna "make a deal" with the virus.

It's like a virtual pact with *Satan*.👹 Maybe if he sacrifices all the helpless ones to the thing, the devil will just let him be? Let him keep his status, his presidency, his supporters?

Staff online

Members online