College student battling restlessness.

lawnchair

Reaction score
Heyo!
I'm currently a college student but struggling with restlessness and wanting to be on the road.
The initial plan was to graduate college (and become a citizen) and then travel but idk how much longer I can stay in one spot for. I have basically everything I need to leave so now it's just a battle of self-control.
I've done light traveling before on mostly busses (a lil bit of trainhopping here and there but nothing long-distance with that) and found that I always feel much happier when I'm moving. Sedentary life really gets to me.
Joined those forums to learn more about the lifestyle and to hopefully meet great people who I can relate to and connect with.

lawnchair

Reaction score
i was once in that very same place

welcome to the forum.

what do you study? and - what's your main reasoning for staying in the institution?
Thanks! I'm studying CS.
My main reason for staying at the university is having a backup/something to return to if I have to stop traveling. Plus I'm not yet a citizen (got a greencard) and am worried about any potential legal trouble messing up my ability to stay in the US.

QueerCoyote

granola punk
Reaction score
How far are you into your field of study -- and college debt?

If you already have completed around 4 semesters or have over $20k debt I highly advise staying and sticking it through, no matter how bad the wanderlust is as long as you're not going to have an emotional breakdown doing so.

The degree enables you to get a better paying job when and if you need to, but without the degree getting off your feet from no-money to enough to afford collegiate studies is gonna be rough.

- a poor biologist that almost didn't get the degree because they wanted to travel

lawnchair

Reaction score
How far are you into your field of study -- and college debt?

If you already have completed around 4 semesters or have over $20k debt I highly advise staying and sticking it through, no matter how bad the wanderlust is as long as you're not going to have an emotional breakdown doing so.

The degree enables you to get a better paying job when and if you need to, but without the degree getting off your feet from no-money to enough to afford collegiate studies is gonna be rough.

- a poor biologist that almost didn't get the degree because they wanted to travel
Yeah I'm sticking with it for now. One of the reasons college is also not too bad for me actually is that I got really good financial aid so I'm (hopefully?) on track to graduate with minimal to no debt. I'm actually not even a full semester into college yet though.
Thank you for the advice!

roughdraft

Reaction score
it hurt my heart a lot and i wanted to drop out almost every semester. looking back on it was not so bad compared to much time I've spent doing other things. if anything i regret not going harder with it and embracing every moment. in any case it was worth finishing i do believe

Thomas Walker

Reaction score
Dude, sounds exactly like me, but you're further along than I. I'll be applying for college in the next few days to get into CS at Purdue, but not sure how much I actually want to do that instead of just living out of a backpack

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads