Collapsible fishing poles / fishing gear recommends | Squat the Planet

Collapsible fishing poles / fishing gear recommends

Dmac

Reaction score
try running a search, I believe there have been several threads on fishing in the past.

Reactions: Rob Nothing

todd

Reaction score
a collapsible fishing rod with a cheap baitcasting reel.. ie a zebco 202 is your best bet. the rod breaks down to fit in a pack and the reel is almost indestructible.

D

Deleted member 2626

I atleast always have a little altoids tin with line a bobber sinkers some hooks and lures. I use the tin and wrap the line around it as I reel back in. Is cool when you find a place to at least try, good way to kill time

Rob Nothing

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
have you ever caught a fish w/ your altoids tin?

I've been meaning to get into fishing, and a hundred other things for that matter.. but the opportunity never comes. It's all I can do to just scrape by, day by day.. buuut I am going to be putting together a new pack arrangement and want to include at least some menial hunting gear. I really do want to do a lot of fishing and looking for gear a little less light duty than that.

Thanks todd for the reference, will check that one out.

HoboinaTux

Reaction score
Good old perch jerking setup with a stick and line is quick and simple. I would much rather carry just line and hooks than a pole and reel. Having too much stuff is blasphemy. Now if I was going to be fishing everyday, I might pickup a set.

todd

Reaction score
it depends where your fishing. sometimes the weight of the lure or bait is enough if your not casting a great distance. mostly I use split lead weights that are removable.

D

Deleted member 2626

I have caught some fish. I also have caught some large mouth bass on stick and line. I get ya on the hunting gear. I'm always looking for decent gear to maybe help down the line with a free independent meal here and there.

Eyegor

Reaction score
Google cane pole, hand lining and/or tenkara. True tenkara gear is very expensive but the technique is similar.
For DIY any plastic water or soda bottle can be used to store your gear, to cast with, and as a reel.
For store bought gear, all the big box stores sell collapsible rod/reel/gear sets for approx $20-$25.

G

Grubblin

Are you looking for sport or food, or both? If you're just trying for food you can do set lines. Scrounge up some bait, grubs from inside rotted logs, dig worms, etc. Find some fairly stout tree branches that stick out over the stream or lake, the deeper the water the better. Cut a piece of line long enough to tie to the tree limb and reach into the water with your hook, bait and a sinker on the business end. Tie about a half a dozen of these at various places. BE DISCREET! In most states set lines are illegal but if someone doesn't see you setting them or checking them then it's hard for them to catch you. It's not like the warden seeing you standing on the bank with a pole, but not a license, which can be a pretty big fine. So after you set the lines, find something else to do for a couple of hours, then go back and discreetly check them. As long as the fish stays in the water it will stay fresh and not spoil. Please remember to pull all of your lines when you're done for the sake of the fish you aren't going to be around to eat.

Before the comments. I fully realize that this method isn't "sporting", which is why many states call it illegal. My purpose with the post, and when I do this, is to try and ensure a fairly cheap, very sustainable, and extremely nutritious (except for the biotoxins) food source for whoever wishes to use this method. Instead of using one line you use six which ups the chance of getting fed in a much shorter time span and greatly increases the chance that you catch anything at all. Once again, please pull all your lines when your done. Protect the resource but feed yourself.

You shouldn't need a thousand dollar fly rod and a piece of paper (license) to eat a fucking fish.

todd

Reaction score
I used to use these to fish off the docks in north boston. I haven't seen them in years but they would be small;l and easy to pack.

Attachments

• 2009-5588.jpg
    2009-5588.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 273
D

Deleted member 2626

Hell yeah thats the way to easily wind back in. i agree grubblin. you don't need all this shit, as with hunters nowadays to catch a fish. No man can be free anymore. Its disgusting how expensive it is just to fish and hunt. I also have tried tying some bank line to a gallon jug, tied off to a bank or pier with large hooks attached and baited with meat for snapping turtles. never caught much, only did it a few times but thick bank line is something else i keep in my kit and at least a semi larger hook.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads