Collapsable walking stick | Squat the Planet

Collapsable walking stick

Winston Smith

Reaction score
Does anyone have any info/suggestions/experience in making a folding/collapsable walking stick/staff? I was thinking of maybe getting a nice wood stick and cutting it into 3 or 4 pieces and using metal threading to re-attach them for a more portable stick. Think it would hold up?

Dmac

Reaction score
i have had sticks that break down, they all end up fitting together more and more loosely.

RVLG

Reaction score
If you use long heavy threading and a sturdy wood like ash or oak, it will work for a good while, but there's no way it will be as good as a solid piece. It would be great for travelling places without many trees, like the drier parts of the SW, or if you prefer a small pack and free hands. The making of such a walking stick is easy. Cut it into desired lengths, pre-drill holes for your fittings, widen the holes with progressively larger bits, make sure the fittings are snug, set them in permanently with a good glue, and voila. Glue the pin end(s) in first, screw on the port ends, and then glue on the other part of the stick. That way the bark, grain, decorations, and most importantly the cuts on the stick line up properly.

Winston Smith

Reaction score
If you use long heavy threading and a sturdy wood like ash or oak, it will work for a good while, but there's no way it will be as good as a solid piece. It would be great for travelling places without many trees, like the drier parts of the SW, or if you prefer a small pack and free hands. The making of such a walking stick is easy. Cut it into desired lengths, pre-drill holes for your fittings, widen the holes with progressively larger bits, make sure the fittings are snug, set them in permanently with a good glue, and voila. Glue the pin end(s) in first, screw on the port ends, and then glue on the other part of the stick. That way the bark, grain, decorations, and most importantly the cuts on the stick line up properly.

Sweet, yeah that's kinda what I'm thinking! Thanks for the tips. Exactly, small pack and freee hands when I don't need it. I hiked around a mountain today and found a good stick, gonna start work on it tomorrow

Reactions: RVLG

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads