Road-friendly hair

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Hey soooo - this may seem a little irrelevant so I really hope I'm not violating any unspoken rules lol, but I'll take a chance and say...I'm trying to figure out what to do with my hair...lol.

I've had super short pixie hair for the majority of my life. I use #4 clippers on the sides and back and the top gets spiked out. It has been this way since I was 15 or so so I have zero experience cutting and styling hair of any significant length. For various reasons, I started growing it out last summer and this past August was the last time I ever had it cut. (Mostly b/c I had to take a break from modeling so I had no pressing need to trim it every month.)

So, here's my conundrum:

Since I'm going to be on the road for a little while I figured it would be fun to get a one-off cut that's probably a little more extreme than I'd normally get. I will probably just chop it all off once I get back, so I could do some whacky shit with it if I wanted - BUT, I want to pick a style that's still flattering because you know...looks always help when thumbing for rides, lol. Super short pixie cut requires almost no styling or upkeep, so something similar that's not going to require lots of effort to look not-horrible when I'm camping outside and not washing it...would be ideal.

As I mentioned I have no hairstyling experience so I have no idea where to get ideas and no real idea of where to get it cut in the first place (I always just did it myself). Is anybody kind of good at this sort of thing? Any chicks that cut hair? Anyone who knows anyone who does around NYC? Etc etc.

If it helps, I'll try to attach a pic of the length it's at now...it's just above chin length all the way around (much longer in the back) and my bangs are fully grown out as well as all the choppy layers. Here are a couple examples of what it normally looks like too.

If anyone is bored enough to respond, in advance I thank yooooooou!

Front:

1452063_10102402510187129_778188109_n.jpg

Side:

1551484_10102626007371979_35484794_n.jpg

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
you know..

i once had a friend who enjoyed short hair, but when she wanted a longer look, she just wore a wig..
i think she picked up something used for a couple of bucks at a secondhand shop, washed it, & voila! short haired blond to long haired brunette in an instant!

she still looked great, too : )

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
you know..

i once had a friend who enjoyed short hair, but when she wanted a longer look, she just wore a wig..
i think she picked up something used for a couple of bucks at a secondhand shop, washed it, & voila! short haired blond to long haired brunette in an instant!

she still looked great, too : )
Wigs are fun. I have worn a few of them for shoots (it can be hard for photographers when you only have one hair "look" though, I'll say, at least 50% of my bookings are because of my short hair. Not all people can pull it off). (Well, formerly-short hair.)

And yes a mohawk was the general idea, but I wanted to do something a little different than just the standard 'hawk cut. Something asymmetrical?

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
cut off half, shave it to the scalp. then cut under the other side to the scalp so it's kinda like a mohawk fallen over to the side? like this:
...Okay I have to know what video game that's from.

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
I guess the only other issue is that I'm blonde, so I can't really shave huge parts right down to the scalp because my hair is so light it just makes it look like I have mange or something. No one wants to pick up a blonde chick with mange.

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
Looks good the way it is
Except it's a year's worth of not being the way it is anymore.

It's cool, I'll figure something out. I'm seriously considering going the Gary Oldman route. Plastic doesn't need to be washed (theoretically).

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
It's either from Fallout 3 or Fallout New Vegas. But, Probably from New Vegas as there is a roving gang of house wives that wear that dress. but that chick is wearing a slave collar so IDK.
Nice. Sexy. Looks heavy.

creature

plastic wingnut in a microwave
Banned
Reaction score
i agree with sean..

i also know somebody who wears a colander .. no kidding..

but.. is this about uniqueness of a hairstyle, or looks to attract a ride or..?

i mean, if you want something extreme & yet flattering, in order to attract a ride, you want to *not* look like a meth head, & still look ordinary enough to carry on a conversation.. if you go 'extreme' you'll just up your chances for getting a ride from extremes..
the folks who understand the cut would probably pick you up regardless..

maybe what you need to do is wear a hat.

not trying to sound too jocular, but what do you want your hair to say?

how different do you want it to be?

& sean is right.

you look like a good, solid, traveling sis..
if that's yer core, why worry about anything else?

there isn't any competition going on, & unless yer a city girl, the sky really doesn't care..

you said "Since I'm going to be on the road for a little while I figured it would be fun to get a one-off cut that's probably a little more extreme than I'd normally get."
does that mean that going on the road is intended to be a statement of some sort, or that you think you need to make a statement, since you are on the road?

are you traveling because you want to travel?

what's 'extreme' & what is a 'little more extreme'?

"Super short pixie cut requires almost no styling or upkeep, so something similar that's not going to require lots of effort to look not-horrible when I'm camping outside and not washing it...would be ideal."

you could go for a military flat-top..

but... say.. a *high* flat-top.. not as high as grace jones, maybe, but if you have a stiffer hair, you could do a nice one that you can wash with bar soap..

hell.. maybe a triangular flat-top, but full..

dunno..

personally, since i am an old timer, i prefer a little cover over the ears..

i suspect, style-wise, that's an element that would maximize rides..
a triangle or blunted triangle might be off enough to keep the shits away..

anyways.. if you need style for yourself, or an easy cut, but still want to max yer rides, maybe a hat *is* a decent idea.. especially if yer in high sun areas..
something cotton that you can soak, with a good brim..

good luck!!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
...Okay I have to know what video game that's from.

haha yeah, that's from the fallout games, 'new vegas' specifically. i'm in love with all things post apocalyptic, and it's one of my all time favorite time sucks.

Reactions: EphemeralStick

Badly Drawn Girl

Reaction score
is this about uniqueness of a hairstyle, or looks to attract a ride or..?
Mostly this is about a uniqueness of look...I guess is what I'm thinking. And what I meant was mostly that being on the road is supposed to be a statement.

(...There are all sorts of fancy philosophical reasons and motivations behind the above but since we're all on a budget and schedule here I'll just stick to the facts.)

My concern about catching rides is basically the only limit I have on extremity when it comes to style. So, the bottom line is I would like to do something as crazy as possible without severely limiting my travel prospects. Though I guess what I am being told is that I look normal enough already to not have to worry about such things. Maybe ultimately I am just being too vain, haha.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads