Clothing for a winter in the south

drinkwindexx

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hey guys and gals, I'm going to be bumming around the states for the first time starting in September. My general idea is to start making my way south from upstate New York before the cold starts setting in. I'll probably be spending most of my time around and inbetween places like Louisianna and Texas until spring and I just want to know what kind of clothing I should keep in my pack. My biggest question; is a winter coat ever going to be necessary? Thanks!

K

Kim Chee

A polypropylene base layer with a few layers of thick sweaters (not cotton) with a raingear shell will get me through most cold weather. In times of physical exertion I open the outer shell, venting moisture/heat and maybe remove a sweater or two. Wear polypro longjohns under the pants.

If you are a "big money bum" get an outer shell made of Goretex (it breathes better than the other stuff you'll find).

I guess you can get by without a winter coat down there, but you may be miserable when it gets cold.

Eric ASche

Reaction score
Under armor. Or ll beans shit just like it. You'll be hot during the day and just right at night. Great thing about winter is your wearing your gear not carrying it on your back so you feel better.

DisgustinDustin

Reaction score
I'm a big money bum... Mmmmmmmichael has got it right... Good base layers and a nice shell is it...
Me?? I look like a model in a Mountain Harware ad in backpackers magazine with all my fancy shit...
Ok, that's a lie... I don't really have any fancy shit.. But if I did I would def invest in a nice base and a nice shell..

Dishka8643

Reaction score
For the most part, it still gets cold in the south. In texas and louisiana 20-30' F temps are pretty common at night from december- march. Daytime temps are usually around 40-50. Southern Louisiana has cold, wet winters. wouldn't recommend it. Extreme southern texas has warmer temps.

Moldy Dixie

Reaction score
now my answer is biased, cause i grew up in georgia, and havent traveled outside of the south yet so southern winters are colder to me than they would be to someone accustomed to new york winters, but I get by lwith a union suit, jeans, boots, a good wool sweater, my vest, and a carhartt. with the carhartt, i really only need the sweater when its very cold, i usually just wear a old thin hoodie on non windy days, if it gets windy i put on the carhartt over the hoodie, and put them all on during the rare occasions of snow

D

Deleted member 14481

I suggest overalls and coveralls. You can never go wrong with these in winter and in certain fields.

I'm a LA native, and our winters are wet, so I would suggest having proper gear. We don't normally get down past the 20s but it will feel cold with the humidity. You will also still have to protect yourself from bugs. Gear up!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads