Cleaning your hair without shampoo | Squat the Planet

Cleaning your hair without shampoo

Nemo

Reaction score
Came across a very good article on keeping your hair clean without the use of shampoos or conditioners, why you would want to, and the benefits of doing so.

http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/

I found it to be very informative and I believe I will begin this regiment when at home & on the road.

TheUndeadPhoenix

The Necromancer King
Reaction score
Website
instagram.com
Came across a very good article on keeping your hair clean without the use of shampoos or conditioners, why you would want to, and the benefits of doing so.

http://simplemom.net/how-to-clean-your-hair-without-shampoo/

I found it to be very informative and I believe I will begin this regiment when at home & on the road.
Sweet info. I just use a comb or brush. It is gets too bad and greasy, I get a shower and rinse it out with just water. I get REALLY hot showers, like 100 degrees :p

Nemo

Reaction score
Sweet info. I just use a comb or brush. It is gets too bad and greasy, I get a shower and rinse it out with just water. I get REALLY hot showers, like 100 degrees :p

I love, love, love hot showers also.
If TEOTWAWKT occurred I would miss scolding hot showers dearly.

This is definitely good info for those wanting to ween themselves from shampoo as it is similar to a drug and has withdrawal symptoms: over production of oil making the hairy super-greasy. I would go straight to water but I think I'll use this method first so I can have 2 weeks of oily hair instead of a month or two.
But everyone's hair is different.

Eventually I do want to go to nothing but water.

Reactions: TheUndeadPhoenix

bryanpaul

Reaction score
Reactions: ipoPua and Nemo

Donnie

Reaction score
I use baking soda for EVERYTHING.
I first learned about the -poo- diet a year ago. I've kept up with it ever since.
Just remember, if your going to switch to baking soda, make sure you follow up with the apple cider vinegar, at least once a week.

Baking soda has a pH of about ten, making it an alkali. But our hair is naturally slightly acidic. So if you don't use any apple cider vinegar, your hair will become dry and easily tangled. The acv will help relax the scales on the hair shaft, making your hair smooth and luxuriant. :D

K

Kim Chee

When I'm not housed up I'll go a couple of weeks without washing my hair, its pretty long and it stays under my cap. I noticed that several days after I have had my last washing that my scalp would begin to itch. After a couple of days of this itching it goes away (oils?) and I'm set for weeks until it starts to itch again (salt and crud?). Then I know I'm ready for a washing (as if the smell wasn't a frickin' clue): If I can't get the entire body done, I at least get the hair/scalp with some really cheap liquid hand soap that you can find in any fast food restaurant restroom. I don't think this qualifies me for crust status, but it works for me.

Nelco

Reaction score
someone was just trying to give me "all natural soap" and counsel me on using shampoo..my body bacteria eats unwanted whatevers..fuck soap

Reactions: Rancho

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
ok i might be laughed off this forum for even suggesting the idea of hair brushing. I personally have waist length hair and after, say a week of doing nothing with it just the thought of getting a brush through it makes me want to cry. but I got one of these things, its called a 'tangle teezer' and although it costs a bit. I swear i will never buy another hairbrush in my life, it gets through seriously tangled crusty hair easily. Anyone else who doesn't want dreads should give it a go. fuck I sound like some kind of sales rep for the company. i'm not, its just rare you find something that is actually good.

http://www.tangleteezer.com/products_site.php?product=black

RSTY802510

[NERD]
Reaction score
Reactions: Nemo

Ravenhood

Reaction score
I haven't used normal shampoo and conditioner for the longest time. I use homemade natural soap to wash my hair and rinse with apple cider vinegar and it works well. The baking soda thing interests me though - I should give that a try.

scatwomb

Reaction score
I haven't shampooed my hair in ages. I alternate between baking soda and apple cider vinegar dilutions.

I have super thick and dark hair and have ALWAYS had issues with itchy scalp and dandruff. Since I stopped using shampoo, my dandruff has seriously gone away almost 100%. It's fucking ridiculous.

Shakou

Reaction score
I've been told by a couple good friends of mine that are into that all natural going-green thing that you don't need shampoo to keep your hair clean, and infact it's healthier for your hair NOT too. All it needs is simply to be washed with regular clean water. I've never tried it, but they swear by it, and they've got pretty healthy looking hair to me.

R

Roosterruler

I'll add my voice to the chorus of, "It works!" in favour of cutting out shampoo and soap. I've been doing the baking soda and apple cider vinegar hair-washing-method for almost two years now and can report that it works wonderfully. I only need to wash my hair every 8 days or so.

I used to get the itch on my scalp after just five days, but then I cut the baking soda down way back and now I don't have that problem any more.

My hair actually looks clean (and is clean) - and it has to. I work as a direct service provider for folks living with developmental disabilities and have to maintain a "society level standard" of cleanliness. Even after not bathing for a week, I'm still set to go and no one questions my hygene.

Every few weeks or months, I may do a basic raw honey mask on my hair, but nothing more.

• Useful
Reactions: eske silver

East

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread, lots of great information. I'm going to give it a shot. I've gone three months without washing my hair (just rinsing) when it was much longer. I was waiting for the moment when my scalp was supposed to acclimate and return to 'normal'. Needless to say, it didn't happen, so I'll try to give this apple cider vinegar/baking soda approach a try.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads