Chicago Kid Hitting the Road

blue ant

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've been kicking around a handful of Chicago suburbs most of my 20 years, and I figured it was about time I got the hell out of here and saw some sights. So, I've spent the last few months preparing for a prolonged trip out into the civilized wilderness, and in a month or two I'm going to hit the road and hitch around 'til I find something I like.

This seems like a great community to be a part of, and I'm looking forward to sharing my experiences (and eventually my knowledge) with all the rest of y'all!

While I'm here, could I ask y'all a few questions? I noticed that a lot more people have pictures of themselves as avatars than most forums, but I've also noticed that there's plenty of people with arbitrary avatars as well. Are actual pictures the etiquette around here, or does it not really matter?

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hey - welcome to STP. As a member of wayyyyy toooo many websites/forums/groups - I have my pic out there - although sometimes I substitute a pic of my cat or something else more bizarre. hehe - do what you like. Oh and for a while I found some dead fly art so my avatar was a dead fly riding a miniature bicycle. :D

So you are and have been planning on getting out there - we have LOTS of info posted on here - do visit some of our subforums for equipment and other sage advice. Check out the urban explore (my favorite) - I have a couple groups in the city I live in that are interesting. And keep in mind our Dirty Scout Jamboree in October in Slab City in CA - there's a subforum devoted to just that party.

Enjoy :)

VikingAdventurer

Guardian of the Knowledge of the Wastes
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
... Most beautiful places as a n00b to visit in my personal opinion are UTAH, Southeastern Idaho, Oregon/Washington, and Nevada...

I would personally recommend avoiding Salt Lake City like the plague.

I've been through there twice, and there's not much other than Mormons & Meth heads.

Provo, Utah was pretty neat, and a lot of other spots in the state of Utah. Moab, for example, is fucking GORGEOUS.

So I've really got nothing against Utah in general, but Salt Lake City can fuck off in my opinion.

Welcome to StP!

blue ant

Reaction score
I'm originally from the Chicagoland area am settled in Arizona now. Most beautiful places as a n00b to visit in my personal opinion are Utah, Southeastern Idaho, Oregon/Washington, and Nevada. So do that ASAP. :)
Thanks for the advice! I'm hoping to visit the pacific northwest through the fall, before it gets too cold, but I never expected someone to recommend Nevada as a place to visit as a tramp. Assuming you're not referring to Las Vegas and Reno, which frankly both sound awful, what would be a good place to visit in Nevada?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads