cheap tools and items on amazon | Squat the Planet

cheap tools and items on amazon

Richard174391

Reaction score
ok so currently i have 25 dollars in an amazon gift card. i am not travelling for quite some time but i feel like i might as well pick up some stuff so i dont end up scrambling a week before i want to go. what small items would i do good to get soon and not forget about from amazon? i was thinking i will need a knife or so and a can opener. maybe even a pocket chainsaw? and ive seen some backpacks on there but im not sure if theyre any good. i already own a backpack but it is a general hiking brand not very big one. should getting a larger backpack with more straps and pockets etc be a priority or should i get everything else i need and then get one if i still have the cash? thanks! ( also i apoligize for trying to fit multiple questions in there)

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
Sounds like you know what you need. check some multitools:

Amazon

Gerber's one seems like a really good option and its exactly the amount of money you have. seems a bit heavy (says the 350gr leatherman owner!) but that's just me. One good thing that can also be a bad thing, is that it has locks for the knife and other functions, which is great for safety, but some countries consider those as "stabbing" knives, so you might have them taken away from you. Anyways, its not like every cop knows or will follow that, but just a comment.

About your backpack. unless its less than 35 liters, keep that one, forget about bigger packs. Your whole traveling life will be about going from moving an impossible backpack everywhere to getting lighter and lighter. And the one and best way to achieve that is to limit yourself with a small backpack, so you cant bring so much shit with you except the basics.

warlo

Reaction score
Website
www.bonsai.cf
I just checked randomly the list, and there are some really nice ones for much less, just look for something light with a good blade, you can use the rest of the money on some water purifier or something like that

• Useful
Reactions: Richard174391

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
Larger packs are nice but I find that when I have a big pack I end up hauling more stuff which makes it a lot heavier which in turns makes me more tired faster. Keep in mind that you're going to be carrying your pack and all its contents on you at all times so you want it to be as light and comfortable as possible.

As far as having a knife goes, its a matter of personal preference. Knives are best suited for practical purposes, not self defense, so you're going to want one that will be most useful to you. For example, if you're going to be roughing it out in the woods a larger fixed blade could be more useful since you can use them as more survival tool. Where as if you're more of a fan sticking around cities a pocket knife could be a better option due to being able to keep hidden and it's less likely to get confiscated than your average hunting knife.

Also, don't bring a crank handle can opener, just get a couple P-38's they're cheap as fuck and extremely convenient.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
agreed, a p-38 is essential and really one of the most travel friendly can openers. there's also a slightly larger version called the p-52 or something like that, which i think is even better since it still folds up flat/small and is a bit easier to use.

• Useful

MolotovMocktail

Subverting from within
Reaction score
there's also a slightly larger version called the p-52 or something like that, which i think is even better since it still folds up flat/small and is a bit easier to use.
I carry a P-38 because a guy at an army surplus store once told me that P-51's bend a lot easier. Once you practice a few times you can open a can pretty quickly with a P-38.

• Useful

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I carry a P-38 because a guy at an army surplus store once told me that P-51's bend a lot easier. Once you practice a few times you can open a can pretty quickly with a P-38.

i've never had one of the bigger ones bend on me, but like you said, it really doesn't matter all that much, just personal preference.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads