cheap knife makeing | Squat the Planet

cheap knife makeing

skunkpit

Reaction score
*salivates

thats a beautiful knife

iv made an axe out of scrap steel and a grinder, then used bicycle tubing wraped around the steel to make a handel

dsci0169.jpg

it works really well and is light, i just need to heat treat it, the metal is really soft

Post edited by: MattPist, at: 2007/02/06 04:22

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
What kind of steel is it in that axe? If it's mild steel (which I suspect, since it's soft and the paint on it indicates that it hasn't been untempered) heat treating it won't do much, though it'd be better than nothing. A high carbon steel would be ideal, like the kind you'd find in files, grass cutting blades, saws, and stuff like that.

There's some matter of opinion on how hard you want the blade to be, the hardest blades require a diamond grit sharpener, though only once in a while, where the softer blades will need a more frequent sharpening, but you will be able to use found natural stones to do that. I've made a few knives, my first I actually made with only a dremel tool with cutting discs, but that was before I got trained in knifemaking.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads