Cheap/free source of foam bedding? (1 Viewer)

Hometown
Centro America
So I’ve been looking for an inexpensive bed sized piece of foam to put on the bed in my van.
So far every place I have looked wants hundreds of dollars for a dinky 2” thick piece of polyfoam in the size we need. Which is roughly queen sized, though ultimately in two pieces.

Theres craigslist ofcoarse... but nothing has come up yet. I’ve been checking furniture store dumpsters too, nothing yet.

Does anyone know of a source?

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!

stormy412

Lurker
Hometown
Pgh
The craft and sewing section at walmart sells foam. Its the size of a thermarest and like 2 in thick for about 20 bucks. Im using one right now.

Ive been using it for about a month and its definitely compressing a little but if you like harder surfaces it does just the trick.

EmmaAintDead

Pro-Crime /// Anti-Peace
Hometown
Chicago

WyldLyfe

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Hometown
tasmania
When I built a bed/sleeping space in my automobile someone Said get some high density foam for it, but at the shop the guy gave an expensive price, so instead used yoga matt's cut to fit.

Groundscore

Hometown
Southern Arizona
Don't just check the furniture store dumpsters; go in and ask if they have any scraps. You will be amazed at what some places will give you when you ask!

While you're at it, check any place that does upholstery work. Frequently they will have things like memory foam.

Also keep an eye out around the end of the month at apartment complexes and such.

CaptainShawn

Hometown
Victoria B.C. Canada
Couch cushions have on average 5 to 6 inch high grade foam in then. 3 of them makes a nice bed have used them on sailboats for years. You can spray bleech water and let dry then recover to sanitize.

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Hometown
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.

I have seen guys on boats go in together to buy queen size memory mattresses then rip them length wise to make two individual bunk mattresses on fishing boats. You are right about them costing hundreds of dollars. Then some fisherman learned that since boat bunks are usually longer than a twin and not always rectangular but narrower that they really were not perfect and still costly. Truckers have also dealt with the same issues as often some mattresses in sleepers are cheap & or offsize. Experiment with the differing thicknesses & dimensions on the website to investigate if acquiring new is affordable enough for you. Much of the site is geared towards retail customers who found themselves there by a google search & professional upholstery craftsmen & diy crafters. My guess is that it might be worth it.

I think buying a polyfoam/polyurethane foam that is pre measured to your exact specification (rectangle/trapezoid/triangle/whatever) would be best. By ordering the dimensions you can avoid paying for the overage that would come in the form of a traditional residential mattress. As it is not a complete mattress it is much cheaper. Instead of wasting money on extra material that will eventually get discarded, only pay for the length & width that you need. If it was me, I would invest in the added thickness while ordering an shaped piece that fits your application, perfectly. Free shipping over $75

The craigslist route is also fine as memory foam mattresses come with a cover that is zippered that holds the tags etc. These can be discarded to perfectly good & free polyfoam core that can be cut & used fro free. As many municipalities charge a fee for mattress disposal; it could be a win/win for you & they who are disposing of it. That being said. Some higher end memory foam mattresses have a secondary foam as a topper but just as comfy regardless of which side you flip. You may want to get a custom cover or custom sheets made to fit your application & or double as a seating area when not sleeping.

Last edited:

Desperado Deluxe

Vagabond
Hometown
If you just get one big piece of foam from the store you can cut it in half and double it. Memory foam is def worth it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$25.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $25.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $25.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $25.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $25.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

This COVID-19 pandemic is horseshit.
Day 20: My bolilo roll is finna make me act up.

I'm willing to try it again this Friday morning... It's not an auto rack, it's something better! I still need to see what I am up against...
> 6' away from Juan During
Juan Derlust wrote on MFB's profile.
Truism #348:
If it wasn't for these loose ends I'd have it all wrapped up...
MFB
Elevation! Getting HIGH! (I am thinking my gopro died, for some reason I didnt get a 360 from the summit)
I think your buddy Bukowski put it best Sundays kill more men than bombs
BBQ with STP homies in portland, feeling peaceful
I only feel good when I'm outside, but I gotta stay inside to get school work done.