Resolved Changes to the 'what's new' forum page! Let me know what you think! (1 Viewer)

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
at the suggestion of @Eng JR Lupo I've made some changes to the way the What's New page works. This page is designed to display most of the newest information of what's happening on StP, including newest threads, posts, profile posts, etc. Changes today include:
  • added a widget that shows the last 10 newest threads by date
  • reduced the newest posts widget from 50 to 30
  • reduced the latest status updates widget from 30 to 10
  • changed the navigation on that page to the side bar (for desktop) and a pop up menu for mobile (was formerly both a weird slide mechanism from left to right).
check it out and let me know what you think!

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
the new menu for mobile devices is now located at the top of the page:

screenshot_2019-12-30-what_s-new-png.53971

Options in that menu include looking up latest posts for various parts of the website, such as latest gallery photos, library items, etc.

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Jerk bouncer with an attitude
Staff member
Website
youtu.be
Hey thanks for the credit. I'm still not sure this is exactly what I mean t though. These new changes, at least what I'm seeing on mobile.. now display what's new at the bottom on a green bar and also what's new at the top. I felt like the bottom bar what's new was fine, the extra one on top feels redundant being on the same page.

What I was trying to get at was that we used to have a display of the last ten new threads posted, and also another option to view the newest replies to threads whether those replies were to new threads or necro'd. I felt like that worked really well. You had all you needed. Both the newest threads and the newest replies.

I don't know if it's just not displaying right for me or what.. but I'm not seeing all the features/widgets you're describing.

Jerrell

Vagabond
Thanks for the newest threads widget! It felt, to me, cumbersome trying to differentiate between new threads and new posts.
I don't do status updates often, but did today. Trying to input text into the box, my keyboard kept disappearing and I finally copy and pasted from my notepad app.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I *could* also change it so it only shows threads/posts you haven't read yet if that would help (read threads would disappear from the list)? it currently will show both latest threads/posts including those you've already read. or maybe, all new threads and just posts you haven't read?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
I *could* also change it so it only shows threads/posts you haven't read yet if that would help (read threads would disappear from the list)? it currently will show both latest threads/posts including those you've already read. or maybe, all new threads and just posts you haven't read?
does anyone think this page would work better if it only showed posts or threads you haven't viewed yet?

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Staff member
Website
youtu.be
I personally like to see threads still, even if I've viewed them. As best I can tell, there's already an indicator of whether or not we've read them. Green text goes white. I like having the white ones there still. It allows me easy access to go back into them rather than having to scroll through half the main page looking for the category I might think that thread would be in. On another subject, I noticed a redundancy the other day in the left drop down menu but I don't remember what it was now. I should have mentioned it then. Seemed like it was like two different links in the same menu take you to your profile iirc.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
i agree the unread and read threads should stay in the what's new section, but what about posts? should it just be unread or both? I'm leaning towards both (current setup).

Eng JR Lupo RV323

Staff member
Website
youtu.be
Oh that. Well, I notice some crossover. Where one post will be on both new threads and new replies. That seems redundant but I'm not sure what the solution would be. I just don't know a lot about the options you have. I feel like it's really close to getting there though. Seems more user-friendly than before.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
cool, glad to hear it!

Where one post will be on both new threads and new replies.
yeah, unfortunately i don't think there's much i can do about that. since a post is contained inside a thread, both the post and the thread it is contained in have to show up in the 'what's new' section if it's new content. While i have some pretty good filtering abilities, unfortunately that's one that can't be done.

Website
www.youtube.com
Thanks for the newest threads widget! It felt, to me, cumbersome trying to differentiate between new threads and new posts.
I don't do status updates often, but did today. Trying to input text into the box, my keyboard kept disappearing and I finally copy and pasted from my notepad app.
Ditto... Ended up copy n pasting my status... Got to the second sentence and the keyboard disappeared... BUT the navigation of the site is awesome... 👍🏾

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
Ditto... Ended up copy n pasting my status... Got to the second sentence and the keyboard disappeared... BUT the navigation of the site is awesome... 👍🏾
i believe i've found a solution to this issue, can you check and see if that field works for you now?

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
since we haven't had any complaints about these changes in quite some time, i'm going to remove the 'testing phase' tag and replace it with 'resolved'.

OP
Matt Derrick

Matt Derrick

Semi-retired traveler
Staff member
Admin
Website
youtube.com
just a very minor update to anyone that cares, the "what's new" page has had the amount of new threads listed increased from 10 to 20 threads displayed by default.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $0.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $0.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $0.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $0.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$0.00
Goal
$100.00

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Threads in last 24 hours
Messages in last 24 hours
Members in last 30 days
Latest member
World215