Catholic Worker communities- not so fixated on Jebus

ScumRag

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
So I know not a lot of travelers are precisely gung-ho about xians, but here's a good roadmap to finding home cooked meals for nothing in return but maybe some volunteer work as in: clean-up or preparation.
You don't have to be bonafied Jebus follower either.. I've found in my wanderings that they're hella cool & laid back with no judgement whatsoever.

http://www.catholicworker.org/communities/directory-picker.html

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
You will find my CW listed there. http://www.catholicworker.org/communities/directory.html#336 :D I started the New Bedford Catholic Worker & it has yet to bear fruit so to speak. We experimented with one garden that ended up having contaminated soil & have yet to implement much that I proposed. All though I have helped start several feeding programs, urban gardens & a community center for other allied groups in Boston; I have yet to have much luck in NBMA. Mostly because I have yet to recruit others who share in the workload. Having visited many CW houses feeding programs as a traveler, and not knowing anything about the CW movement laid the eventual foundation. Since I got sober & started helping others more with my mentors having been catholic anarchists with CW roots it was a no brainer. Unfortunately we do not have a "house of hospitality" at the moment but I need to double own & try to get a church or community space to let me use their kitchen/hall to serve meals. I am still optimistic that the right people will be delivered to share in the work when the time is right.

For the record, The Catholic Worker movement is about helping others with direct action & meeting them where they are at; all while treating people with dignity. We can be interfaith or not religious at all. We oppose capitalism, taxes, war & violence. While a few CW houses are ministries of the Catholic Church, many have no affiliation. Activism for justice is a common theme as well. Many CW are not in the business of evangelizing sinners, we all conduct some of the corporal or spiritual works of mercy. While there is a website, there is no hierarchy or leadership, no employees or income.

Last edited:

ScumRag

Wanderer
Lifetime Supporter
Current Location
San Diego, CA
That's fukn awesome man.

I was turned on by St Martin's in SF & then found others via the site. I wish you luck in New Bedford... Never been up that way, save for work years ago...

Current Location
Chicago
I stayed at the Chicago St. Francis CW a couple of times, both right out of prison.
Never had issues with religion being pushed on me, and they taught me quite a bit about recycling, composting, and dumpster diving. They were the ones who got me started with Critical Mass back in the 90's, and many a political protest.
All around, some of the best people I have ever met

Current Location
Sligo
I think the catholic worker movement is great
Been to one of the houses in London
and went to the Christian anarchist conference on a farm last year, was good
Hope to vist more and get involved

highwayman

Emperor of the North Pole
Lifetime Supporter
Top Poster of the Month
Current Location
Mostly in New Bedford, Mass when home.
I read a good article about being a Catholic Anarchist & member of the CW movement here. https://sluggerotoole.com/2016/02/07/confessions-of-an-irish-catholic-anarchist/

While the CW movement is egalitarian & ecumenical and often secular while all inclusive of all. Individuals of all faiths & nonfaiths can participate in a grass roots hybrid of spiritual community life & activism through direct action, solidarity with all oppressed & service to the poor. This article shows the connection & historic examples of individual anarchism within this collective charism.