Carhartt!!!

mkirby

Reaction score
Website
meredithkirby.com
People have been telling me to buy Carhartt forever, but it's expensive so I hadn't gotten around to it. I bough my first pair of men's double-kneed dungarees today, (the smaller sizes work okay on chicks) and OH MY GOD. If there's anyone out there who doesn't own something Carhartt, you should fix that. Now. So many pockets. So durable. Even kind of stylish. I know I sound like a damn advertisement but SHIT!

Okay...I'm done now. I just kind of have an after-purchase buzz. Sorry about that.

I

IBRRHOBO

Yup, that's all I own. Started wearing them in the union and then applied them to the rails. Also, u can modify the knees w/knee pads and sew them in for killer protection from bashing up the knees on gravel or catching out!

veggieguy12

The Captain
Reaction score
Anyone been to the Carhartt factory, where the stuff is made and (ostensibly) the 'mistakes' are thrown in the dumpster at the back?

I tried to find exactly where a factory is located, but I could only find this:
Carhartt's Manufacturing Administrative offices are still located in Irvine, Kentucky today.
We grew throughout the early 1900's establishing over 17 plants and 3 mills throughout the United States...

However, I found only three locations through GoogleMaps (Dearborn, MI; Baton Rouge, LA; Edmonton, KY), but there are also official Carhartt stores, and they've got to be dumping unsold/out-of-season stuff.

And I also saw that the whole line was initially developed by Mr. Carhartt for railroad workmen!

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i heard that most of their stuff is made in mexico now, which is why i no longer wear them.

Angela

Wandering But Not Lost Yet
Reaction score
Anyone been to the Carhartt factory, where the stuff is made and (ostensibly) the 'mistakes' are thrown in the dumpster at the back?

Most of them are now pieced together in Mexico like matt said and unfortunately most of the "mistakes" get sold as 2nds usually at a discount but still not bargain bin prices. I made a pattern out of a pair of very battered overalls years ago but have no idea how to scan and upload the thing, it's kinda big. I've occasionally found em though at thrift stores or on ebay/craigslist when I've needed them which is usually cheaper than the heavy cotton canvas fabric to make them would cost.

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
i donno if ya folks have mark's work warehouse's in the states but up here it's pretty much a carhartt free store. some stores don't even put tags on them. their dumpsters are pretty good for boots and other such stuff too. i heard that tuff duck bought out carhartt a few years back & switched the fabrics so now tuff ducks are made with the old carhartt material which was a better material. anyone know if this is true?

Angela

Reaction score
i donno if ya folks have mark's work warehouse's in the states but up here it's pretty much a carhartt free store. some stores don't even put tags on them. their dumpsters are pretty good for boots and other such stuff too. i heard that tuff duck bought out carhartt a few years back & switched the fabrics so now tuff ducks are made with the old carhartt material which was a better material. anyone know if this is true?

None of those down here south of the border but that might be a dumpster worth the trip. I checked out their website and their website prices weren't cheap. Where are these up there?

katiehabits

Reaction score
Website
kthabits.tumblr.com
mark's work warehouse's are in most box-store complexes and just randomly throughout most decent sized canadian cities. depending on the store they like to slash their merchandise but who here doesn't know you to sew a little rip?

RebeccaSoup

Reaction score
I shoplift all our carhartts from bass pro shops and dicks sporting goods. its hard to find regular double knee pants there but for bibs its pretty choice.

Also... We fucking suck for being brainwashed brand loyal consumer whores.

Angela

Reaction score
I've been wearing these pants day and night for three fucking days and they're still stiff as hell...hahaha. I'm glad I'm not on the road.

Take em to a laundromat just once and it'll fix that problem. After that you can wear em for three years and be comfortable.

Angela

Reaction score
Yeah, totally. My last pair of pants was stretch denim.

I just about peed myself laughing :hysterical: It's gotta be hard to go from stretch denim to cotton canvas but I can't speak from experience here.

Ravie

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
hehe yeah stretch denim seems to be a little different girlie. but ive been hearing alot about carhartts changing their cloth to some shitty crap. most on my friends who where carhartt lovers now despise them.

Angela

Reaction score
It's been so long since I bought any "new" ones that I don't know what the current material is like. But definitely stay away from the ones that are marketed as "ladies carhartt", from what I've heard these are a much thinner, cheaper fabric but not cheaper in price. It pisses me off when companies think they can charge a fortune for "ladies fit" clothes that quality wise are pieces of shit.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads