Carbon Monoxide alarm | Squat the Planet

Carbon Monoxide alarm

landpirate

campervan untilising nomadic traveller
Reaction score
Carbon Monoxide Alarm - I've got one in my van and i've had them in caravans I've lived in and used to have one in the room I slept in at my mum's house because I slept next to a scary old boiler. I was just thinking actually how they could be a lifesaver in so many of our living situations.

Do any of you have them where you live? I don't know how many houses I've squatted that could have potentially killed me. They're not cheap but the batteries last a long time and they're really portable.

Stay safe! ::wideeyed::

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Yup I had them in the house I once owned and sure as hell have them in the townhouses I lived in as well as the double house I'm in now. In my townhouse - I had two - one in the basement - that housed two old furnaces and two old hot water heaters (it was my basement, but I housed the apartment's stuff that was above me) -- and one at floor level on my floor. The gas is heavy and it starts low and raises (hell if the basement one didn't go off then I wanted the floor level one to go - especially with my cats being ground level and giving me time to gather them and get out).

F

Fanatical Steward

We also have a CO alarm in our living quarters because prevention remains the best method I know to alleviate accidental deaths.

K

Kim Chee

Carbon monoxide poisoning may not always present with symptoms, but here they are, fyi:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/carbon-monoxide/basics/symptoms/con-20025444

Carbon monoxide poisoning

Signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning may include:

• Dull headache
  • Weakness
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Confusion
  • Blurred vision
  • Loss of consciousness
Carbon monoxide poisoning can be especially dangerous for people who are sleeping or intoxicated. People may have irreversible brain damage or even be killed before anyone realizes there's a problem.

When to see a doctor
The warning signs of carbon monoxide poisoning can be subtle. But the condition is a life-threatening medical emergency. If you think you or someone you're with may have carbon monoxide poisoning, get into fresh air and seek emergency medical care.

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
we have smoke alarms here in the states...and as far as I can tell my idiot brother sets it off at least once or twice a month late at night burning a pizza...

sigh...

this is just one reason I would wish to live in a more open primitive communal setting...

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
yeah, i haven't thought about it too much yet, but when i get my van i'm going to make sure to include one of those!

Reactions: Odin

Odin

ANTISOLIPSIST
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
yeah, i haven't thought about it too much yet, but when i get my van i'm going to make sure to include one of those!

yea that is a good set up for a van if you have a little kitchenette going... (cheap rv has an example somewhere I Think)

I hope you get your van going sometime Matt... your avatar would make a good decal.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I hope you get your van going sometime Matt... your avatar would make a good decal.

haha, i should totally airspray my van with an epic adventure metal scene... and put my avatar on the hood!

K

Kim Chee

The last house I lived in has a water heater and furnace in the basement.

I think some places require co detectors, especially if you rent.

I give up

Reaction score
Oh I did a few years installing boilers and water heaters and such, how many times we finish a job and find no draft up the chimney. It's like hundreds of people who are only alive cuz of luck

I give up

Reaction score
Something to remember co and co2 are hot when coming for heat that's why we have chimney s and thay pool like water. So gas flows up pools cools then flows down.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads