Can i carry a 13in mini camp axe on the side of my backpack.

Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
It'll be on the side of my backpack so it won't be concealed. And i also have a bunch of camping gear such as a tarp, tent, sleepign bag ect.. I'm wondering if anyone had a problem from the police. I'm also a felon.

Also can i carry a pocket knife under 4ins in my pocket if im a felon.

OP
OP
Brooklynkid
Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Well i'm currently in florida but ill be going to multiple states.

SlankyLanky

the friendliest mod
Staff member
Threads
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
Reactions
96% 0% 4%
pretty sure its not technically illegal to carry the axe outside yer pack, but being a felon yer gonna get searched pretty much every time you get stopped and in florida walking around with a axe in the open is gonna get alot of people calling the cops on you.

OP
OP
Brooklynkid
Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Fuck i hate florida, now i hate it more lol. I'm planning on going more north/west anyways and i heard they're alot less strict on a bunch of shit. Thanks for the answers tho appreciate it

Shwillam

Previously NotSoSirius
Threads
Current Location
591-599 MacArthur Blvd, Oakland, CA 94610, USA
Reactions
95% 1% 4%
West my friend is the direction to go. I grew up in Florida and always hated the east coast attitude, it was nice to drop all the “hard” bullshit once I got to the best coast.

Threads
Current Location
Austin, TX
Reactions
91% 0% 9%
Not that its any of my bis but why would ever need an axe like that while traveling around? its extra weight that will likely never be utilized in my opinion. if you want it for wood you can find plenty of scrap around instead. And if you need it for protection, having it on your pack where you cant access it easily its not exactly good for that either. Just curious is all

OP
OP
Brooklynkid
Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Tent pegging, and fire wood and yeah self defense. Even it I can't actually get to it really fast if u see someone with a axe you're probably not going to fuck with him lol

Threads
Current Location
Austin, TX
Reactions
91% 0% 9%
I would suggest finding other tools like portable hand chainsaw and rocks, As a felon (or even if you were not a felon) you may want to not bring that kind of attention to your self. Even in states that are lenient, an axe like that will get the attention of everyone, but you do you man and safe travels

Edit: I would suggest bear spray, a hand chainsaw and rocks honestly for protection wood and tent pegging respectively.

OP
OP
Brooklynkid
Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
A portable hand chainsaw?? Why would I need that, and what would I tell a cop if they stopped me with a portable handchainsaw. They'd think I'd stole it or I was using it for something illegal. The axe is a inch taller then a foot it's not very big, and it's dull. I appreciate the answer but I'd rather stick to a camp axe.

OP
OP
Brooklynkid
Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Oh dude I thought u we're talking about those mini handheld wired chainsaws lmaooo. My bad

Threads
Current Location
Austin, TX
Reactions
91% 0% 9%
Oh dude I thought u we're talking about those mini handheld wired chainsaws lmaooo. My bad
haha its all good, its essentially a chainsaw chain with handles, and weighs basically nothing.

OP
OP
Brooklynkid
Threads
Current Location
hudson
Reactions
100% 0% 0%
Yea I Google it because I was thinking to my self, wtf. Haha

Threads
Current Location
Toronto
Reactions
96% 1% 3%
I own a 17.5" Gerber axe and it makes acquiring firewood a ton easier, but I only carry it because I have a vehicle. When I'm on foot, I use a 6" fixed blade (SOG seal pup) and use a "batoning" technique to make kindling. I just keep dragging larger timber into the fire instead of chopping them up. The downside is that batoning with a knife is very slow and uses a lot of energy. You could augment it with a small folding saw; I recommend anything from the Silky brand.

I have a feeling you want to carry an axe for the "don't fuck me me" factor, which I completely understand and... uhh.. entertain just a bit haha. I have a lab x pitbull to help with that department though. I have to agree with the other posts in that you're going to have a bad time carrying around an axe on foot. Sorry mate.

Threads
Current Location
Slabs
Website
jerrellofearth.wordpress.com
Reactions
97% 1% 2%
Honestly, I'd say roll with it and if you get pulled aside for it, ask the cop for suggestions and if seems like it will be a problem going forward, then just ditch it until you get to someplace that has less assholes and then get another one. haha
If you have other gear that it blends in with and doesn't look out of place, that's a little different than some of the tweakers ya see rocking a machete just because.
There are alternatives to chainsaws and axes/hatchets. A rubber mallet for stakes is much less likely to be considered a weapon. As for a saw, there's those pocket saws that you pull back and forth. I find them more useful breaking down dead branches than a hatchet personally. I also have a folding hand saw. In my camping box, I have a hack saw and bow saw, but those could be misconstrued as thieving tools I'd assume.
Just some food for thought.

Threads
Current Location
Eugene
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
If you're worried about getting fucked with for carrying a weapon I would suggest carrying a cane. You can still strap it to your pack and if you ever find yourself in a situation where you feel like you should have a weapon at the ready just take it off and carry it. There's no was they can fuck with you for carrying a weapon unless you actually get caught beating someone with it. If they press you just tell them you walk a lot and sometimes get knee pain after a car accident some years back.

Threads
Current Location
Reactions
100% 0% 0%

I carry two of these on my pack depending on your funds situation some of the collapsible walking sticks are titanium Ice stick have a titanium point at the end and they're very useful in multiple situations the ones I carrying cost me about $140 they don't break and can puncture glass if necessary

Threads
Current Location
outside omaha
Reactions
98% 0% 2%
I almost always carry a hatchet or my tomahawk when hitching, bike tours, or backpacking and have never had any problems. I keep it packed away till I set up camp or need it for something.