Can i carry a 13in mini camp axe on the side of my backpack. (1 Viewer)

Brooklynkid

Lurker
Current Location
hudson
It'll be on the side of my backpack so it won't be concealed. And i also have a bunch of camping gear such as a tarp, tent, sleepign bag ect.. I'm wondering if anyone had a problem from the police. I'm also a felon.

Also can i carry a pocket knife under 4ins in my pocket if im a felon.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
OP
Brooklynkid

Brooklynkid

Lurker
Current Location
hudson
Well i'm currently in florida but ill be going to multiple states.

SlankyLanky

stp user voted "the friendliest mod"
Staff member
Current Location
richmond virginia, the east coasts portland.
pretty sure its not technically illegal to carry the axe outside yer pack, but being a felon yer gonna get searched pretty much every time you get stopped and in florida walking around with a axe in the open is gonna get alot of people calling the cops on you.

OP
Brooklynkid

Brooklynkid

Lurker
Current Location
hudson
Fuck i hate florida, now i hate it more lol. I'm planning on going more north/west anyways and i heard they're alot less strict on a bunch of shit. Thanks for the answers tho appreciate it

Colton

Lurker
Current Location
Taos, NM
Not that its any of my bis but why would ever need an axe like that while traveling around? its extra weight that will likely never be utilized in my opinion. if you want it for wood you can find plenty of scrap around instead. And if you need it for protection, having it on your pack where you cant access it easily its not exactly good for that either. Just curious is all

OP
Brooklynkid

Brooklynkid

Lurker
Current Location
hudson
Tent pegging, and fire wood and yeah self defense. Even it I can't actually get to it really fast if u see someone with a axe you're probably not going to fuck with him lol

Colton

Lurker
Current Location
Taos, NM
I would suggest finding other tools like portable hand chainsaw and rocks, As a felon (or even if you were not a felon) you may want to not bring that kind of attention to your self. Even in states that are lenient, an axe like that will get the attention of everyone, but you do you man and safe travels

Edit: I would suggest bear spray, a hand chainsaw and rocks honestly for protection wood and tent pegging respectively.

OP
Brooklynkid

Brooklynkid

Lurker
Current Location
hudson
A portable hand chainsaw?? Why would I need that, and what would I tell a cop if they stopped me with a portable handchainsaw. They'd think I'd stole it or I was using it for something illegal. The axe is a inch taller then a foot it's not very big, and it's dull. I appreciate the answer but I'd rather stick to a camp axe.

OP
Brooklynkid

Brooklynkid

Lurker
Current Location
hudson
Oh dude I thought u we're talking about those mini handheld wired chainsaws lmaooo. My bad

Dontaskme

Current Location
Toronto
I own a 17.5" Gerber axe and it makes acquiring firewood a ton easier, but I only carry it because I have a vehicle. When I'm on foot, I use a 6" fixed blade (SOG seal pup) and use a "batoning" technique to make kindling. I just keep dragging larger timber into the fire instead of chopping them up. The downside is that batoning with a knife is very slow and uses a lot of energy. You could augment it with a small folding saw; I recommend anything from the Silky brand.

I have a feeling you want to carry an axe for the "don't fuck me me" factor, which I completely understand and... uhh.. entertain just a bit haha. I have a lab x pitbull to help with that department though. I have to agree with the other posts in that you're going to have a bad time carrying around an axe on foot. Sorry mate.

Jerrell

Rambler
Current Location
Western IA
Website
jerrellofearth.wordpress.com
Honestly, I'd say roll with it and if you get pulled aside for it, ask the cop for suggestions and if seems like it will be a problem going forward, then just ditch it until you get to someplace that has less assholes and then get another one. haha
If you have other gear that it blends in with and doesn't look out of place, that's a little different than some of the tweakers ya see rocking a machete just because.
There are alternatives to chainsaws and axes/hatchets. A rubber mallet for stakes is much less likely to be considered a weapon. As for a saw, there's those pocket saws that you pull back and forth. I find them more useful breaking down dead branches than a hatchet personally. I also have a folding hand saw. In my camping box, I have a hack saw and bow saw, but those could be misconstrued as thieving tools I'd assume.
Just some food for thought.

NapalmBreath

Pilgrim
Current Location
Eugene
If you're worried about getting fucked with for carrying a weapon I would suggest carrying a cane. You can still strap it to your pack and if you ever find yourself in a situation where you feel like you should have a weapon at the ready just take it off and carry it. There's no was they can fuck with you for carrying a weapon unless you actually get caught beating someone with it. If they press you just tell them you walk a lot and sometimes get knee pain after a car accident some years back.

Mad Mike

Lurker
Current Location

I carry two of these on my pack depending on your funds situation some of the collapsible walking sticks are titanium Ice stick have a titanium point at the end and they're very useful in multiple situations the ones I carrying cost me about $140 they don't break and can puncture glass if necessary

Dmac

Wanderer
Current Location
outside omaha
I almost always carry a hatchet or my tomahawk when hitching, bike tours, or backpacking and have never had any problems. I keep it packed away till I set up camp or need it for something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$40.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $40.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $40.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $40.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $40.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

jamie summers wrote on nastynaty's profile.
too bad about clovis...i rode through recently without stopping in the yard luckily...where did you get pulled off now
?did you end up on a train for dallas?
Update on my luck: wrong train, cops pulled a gun on me, im off the transcon, and i have one day to get to chicago.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.
Blessed is the flame that burns
in the secret fastness of the heart.

Blessed is the heart with strength to stop its beating for honor’s sake.
Blessed is the match consumed in kindling flame.

-Hannah Senesh

Rest in power, Will.
I got my first trespass in over five years of riding, but the bull in clovis was doing that thing were he scans the cars from a ladder and my bike had the back wheel off so i couldnt run. I caught the next train after he let me go.
The amarillo northyard hopout is trashed, can yall clean up after yourself. No wonder they put up all these new fences here.
just now saw yet another article of people talking photos of themselves and falling into a waterfall and being pummeled into drowning - why people why - i recall when i first heard something like this out at Silver Falls eas of Corvallis, I think it was 2012 or 2013, but it never ceases to amaze me that it happens so much all over the world
Hitched into Quebec City, got a free wristband to a music festival with The Offspring and Blink-182 playing!! Good times, now off to Charny, back on the rails!
'All I know is that I dont know nothin'
Fillmore, California... California is the ultimate shithole..!!!

Members online