can anyone grow?

acrata4ever

Reaction score
i dont know i dont grow, but these gourds are very big and very thick. the flat gourd is rare and civila war reenactors kill for them they make confederate canteens from them. i would buy what i need but these are top quality over 1/4" thick the flat gourd is like 12" wide the orange thing is 14" across. i think florida has a long grow season but i have no room to do this and a black thumb.

acrata4ever

Reaction score
god i hate welburn. yeah thats for north growing look up gourd growing in your state. gords drink water alot of water. then the frost kills them or you can kill them early. if you grow them hanging you wont get mishapen ones with insect holes. you can grow them in a 5 gallon bucket.

dprogram

Reaction score
We grow gourds here. None this season. My mom has made some really cool bowls with wood burning on the outside...even a few birdhouses.

Reactions: hutchie

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
damn, i thought you were talkin bout ganj at first lol :D hmmm....how long do gourds take to grow? i'm not sure what kind of soil they like, but i could maybe grow a couple here where i live in hawaii. i'll be here for another 5 months at least. i know that they make drums called ipus here out of a gourd (not sure what kind of gourd), and i've always wanted to build one

acrata4ever

Reaction score
those ipus are bottle gourds the bottle gourd was brought to the americas by mongols. the seeds i have are tobacco box and african bottle gourds. there may be a law about growing them in hawaii as invasive species.

iamwhatiam

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
yea, hadn't thought about that. true true theyre pretty strick about agricultures here. i could look it up tho

acrata4ever

Reaction score
well i could use a bottle gourd for an extinct sitar i wanna make. its gotta be about 13" persion tar shaped and thick shell. i think its amazing this is the one thing that migrating peoples from china to the americas and polynesia brought with them. like they knew it may not grow where they were going and it was an important water bottle that could be easily tied about the waist. i saw a site on hawaiian knee drums made the hard way. from coconut shell, sharkskin, coconut fiber cords a macedemia nut. all by hand no actual tools except a bone needle.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads