Camping in LA (1 Viewer)

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence
I'm hitching down the West Coast in a few days. I plan on being in the LA for a few weeks. I lived in many apartments all around LA Metro a decade ago. So, I'm pretty familiar.

This visit, however, I would like to camp somewhere somewhat close to public transit.
I'm aware that many people sleep out on Skid Row(fuck no) and in Venice/Santa Monica. Venice is sketchy as hell, though.

Any suggested spots where I can avoid getting jumped or fucked with?? I know that anywhere you illegally lay your head has potential for trouble. But, I generally opt for spots where I'm relatively isolated from the pack.

Griffith Park?
Chatsworth?
Elysian Park?

Thanks.

Click here to buy the Anarchist's Guide to Travel!
S

spectacular

I deleted myself
Pacific Palisades is a nice little beach area north of Venice and south of malibu

NovaRaee

Lurker
Current Location
Los Angeles, CA
Griffith has good spots you just have to find them. It's close to the old subway tunnels that are sometimes open also. Elysian Park is good but been a lot of people there lately, more sketchy. Which area of LA are you looking to be closest to?

OP
Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence
Griffith has good spots you just have to find them. It's close to the old subway tunnels that are sometimes open also.
Damn! I've been many times and never knew about the tunnels. That sounds sweet. Where are the openings?

Which area of LA are you looking to be closest to?
There are a bunch of places I don't want to be but, as long as I'm close to transit, I'm good. The coast would be beautiful, but long bus rides to and from. Maybe for one or two nights. Also know some folks with vehicles, in a pinch.

Thanks. Was hoping for some first-hand knowledge.

Last edited:

NovaRaee

Lurker
Current Location
Los Angeles, CA
You can see them. They look how they do in NYC. Just stairs random along the street covered in chain fences. Sometimes they are already opened. They are around Griffith Park mostly and closer into LA from there. All the other ones are already gone. You can look up entrances. If I find a map I use to have I'll message it to you definitely!

NovaRaee

Lurker
Current Location
Los Angeles, CA
There is one reliable entrance in the house of records near union station. You have to sneak in but I believe those are different tunnels from the prohibition!

OP
Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence
Been digging around and it seems everyone knows about these but me! There are all kinds of hidden secrets in the park. I used to live right on the boulevard right next to the entrance. Wasn't as adventurous then, I suppose.

I'm definitely going to stay there and explore the fuck out that place.

THIS site should take care of all navigation!

Last edited:

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Current Location
en route
I'm hitching down the West Coast in a few days. I plan on being in the LA for a few weeks. I lived in many apartments all around LA Metro a decade ago. So, I'm pretty familiar.

This visit, however, I would like to camp somewhere somewhat close to public transit.
I'm aware that many people sleep out on Skid Row(fuck no) and in Venice/Santa Monica. Venice is sketchy as hell, though.

Any suggested spots where I can avoid getting jumped or fucked with?? I know that anywhere you illegally lay your head has potential for trouble. But, I generally opt for spots where I'm relatively isolated from the pack.

Griffith Park?
Chatsworth?
Elysian Park?

Thanks.
topanga or malibu.

OP
Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence
topanga or malibu
Certainly beautiful places. I will definitely be passing through there.

I wouldn't think that the ruling elite residents of Malibu would take kindly to a road-worn rascal calling there beaches home. Might have my ass shipped to the Scientology Psych Lab. Do you have camping there?

Mankini

Banned
Current Location
en route
Indeed! :) topangas your best bet but malibu and anything north on the pch is where ya wanna be.

From a Native Son.

V

vantramp2016

I deleted myself
Griffith has good spots you just have to find them. It's close to the old subway tunnels that are sometimes open also. Elysian Park is good but been a lot of people there lately, more sketchy. Which area of LA are you looking to be closest to?
i heard griffith park was creepy and there have been murders. any thoughts and inputs on this

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence
Yeah. I've been reading a ton of stories. None of them good!

Might do it anyway. A dear friend feels strongly against it, though.

We'll see.

OP
Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence
From a Native Son.
Alright, @voodoochile76, I decided to stay southward until the Jambo. Unless I make some new traveler friends here soon, I'm gonna head elsewhere.

Where to, Native Son? I lived all over LA years ago, so not interested in heading inland. Next big stop will be San Diego, but what are the best spots in between?

Someone said Manhattan Beach is just affluent tourism and that Dana Point/San Clemente is cool. One of my coolest rides lives in Palos Verdes. Would be cool to chill with those boys again.

Ready, set, go!

Mankini

Banned
Current Location
en route
Stay on the 1 and check out all the cool surfing beaches!!

Mankini

Banned
Current Location
en route
Also Joshua Tree area is cool: Big Bear is extremely cool; and Baja of course.

OP
Rhubarb Dwyer

Rhubarb Dwyer

Fragrant Vagrant
Current Location
Divine Providence

Mankini

Banned
Current Location
en route
Ahhhh Baja <3 :) Love Mexico man.

Check out the beaches around Oceanside and the Balboa Peninsula. Interesting if youre into local history.

Mankini

Banned
Current Location
en route
See if you can find the Emigrant Rescue groups. I love helping them with orienteering/H2O; otherwise subverting Sheriff Arpaio, Minutemen, and their ilk.

atlastalias

Banned
Current Location
shitty part of the south
Any favorites? Least favorite?

Yeah. These are definitely on the list, but a little off my track. Probably some rad post-Jambo destinations.

I'm actually headed to TJ/Rosarito right before the Slabs for the FNB World Gathering. I'm going sin pasaporte, so maybe too risky to go deeper.
Have fun getting back into the states without a passport hahaha hope you reaaaally like tj

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Support StP!

Donations go towards paying our monthly server fees, adding new features to the website, and occasionally putting a burrito in Matt's mouth.

Total amount
$35.00
Goal
$100.00

Monthly Goals

1. Paying the Bills
    $35.00 of $50.00
    The first $50 in donations go towards paying our monthly server fees and adding new features to the website. Once this goal is reached, we'll see about feeding Matt that burrito.
  2. Buy Matt a Beer
    $35.00 of $75.00
    Now that we have the bills paid for this month, let's give Matt a hearty thank you by buying him a drink for all the hard work he's done for StP. Hopefully his will help keep him from going insane after a long day of squishing website bugs.
  3. Feed Matt a Burrito
    $35.00 of $100.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt has a beer in his hand, how about showing him your love by rewarding all his hard work with a big fat burrito to put in his mouth. This will keep him alive while programming new features for the website.
  4. Finance the Shopping Cart
    $35.00 of $200.00
    Now that the bills are paid and Matt is fed, perhaps it's time to start planning for those twilight years under the bridge... if only he had that golden shopping cart all the oogles are bragging about these days.

Latest Status Updates

croc wrote on bowldog's profile.
Love ur profile pic. She looks so sultry peeking thru the trees
dumpsternavel wrote on Rhubarb Dwyer's profile.
So clevar
The only good part about the ER is the BE that comes before-hand! :p
forgot how fast people'll throw the first blow in the street
got complacent having only sparred with friends recently.
was socked in the head,
only managed to block the second blow or so
before being knocked to the ground

(to be fair, knocking us off our feet isn't hard when we require a cane or smth to support ourselves most days)
Currently in Louisiana , I'm off the road. Had Hep C an liver cancer. Don't ever forget to be free from the man you have to leave it all behind, each an every time.
Still....in Jax if any kids about
Stuck on paper in idaho, missing the woods and my DK fam
I've made some layout adjustments to featured content threads. They should look much prettier on mobile devices, although I'm still working on how the main featured page displays on those devices...
Due to a software bug, I've had to disable the ability for users to delete their accounts until a fix is released (hopefully no more than a few days).
You ever look back and kind of wonder even if you wanted to try to fix things... How you even begin to apologise for Fucking up someone's life??

Members online

No members online now.