Call me Physics

physics

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hello, new friends! I wish to start my introduction with a disclaimer: Physics is NOT my name. (Oh, really?) Yes, but it is what I study. Too many details, including my first name, the name of my university, or too many details about my work, WILL threaten my anonymity.

My anonymity is important to me for two reasons:

• I have a really, really sweet arrangement at my institution. Publicly broadcasting this arrangement (especially the school name) throws it into peril. I hope that I can hide my identity enough to admit the following: I live in a back parking lot of the school in a short school bus that is outfitted in a way that fits my comfort. It's an easy "commute" to my office (with a mini-fridge and crock-pot), or to the school's gym where I swim and shower. The campus is super-safe and patrolled. And then, on weekends, I can explore the mountains with my quasi-fiance or whatever. It's great!

The catch, though, is that I can't brag about it -- I cannot "force [name-of-school] to do something about [me]." My school is officially happy not knowing, and I am ok with them not knowing... just, I can't run my mouth.

And I want to. I built a lofted bed out of unistrut, made my own custom matress out of 5" foam from JoAnn Fabrics. I sewed that wheel-well couch, I installed that wood-burning stove (that I never use), etc, etc. I am proud of this, and SO HAPPY with her, with my situation, with all of it... and I can't tell many of my classmates.

That's one of the reasons I'm here, then. I want to brag, a bit, about her.

• The other reason my anonymity is important deals with my family. Before I even bought the bus, before I even applied to college, etc... I told my parents that I was going to do this. I thought I could convince them of the wisdom of this way of life for me. I was "wearing them down" even as I bought the thing, but pretending that I didn't yet so that I could "buy it with them" at a future date, after I obtained their blessing.

This came to a head why I discovered "co-ops," which are modern-day student-hippie communes. Students ban together, buy a house with a bank loan, and use their "rent" to pay off the loan while splitting the chores of existence amongst themselves. I pitched to them that I could JOIN one of these, and then ALL of their fears would be assuaged -- it would be just like living in the house, but having a non-connected addition to the house. In my eyes, there was essentially no difference between living in a room or a room with wheels in this arrangement -- a perfect compromise between my desires and my parents'.

And my dad huffed and he puffed and said, "You could put your bus in your grandmother's living room and we wouldn't be comfortable with it." That's when I realized that this wasn't about logic or good sense. This was about EMOTIONS. And when it comes to emotions, one just cannot win.

So I told my parents that I wasn't going to live in a bus. They think I live in the student dorms on campus. And so, all of my "bus-internet" presence needs to be unsearchable and outright deniable. For the sake of their precious and delicate little hearts, they must not know.

But then, where does one turn to for advice if one's parents are so alienated? How does one make like-minded friends if one must hide from the casual campus stranger? My answer is you guys -- ultimately, I am looking for that sense of community where I don't have to hide myself (ironically, shrouded in anonymity on the internet). Friends to support and be supported by, to brag or give suggestions, etc...

So... that's my story. Er, diatribe.

Sincerely,
Physics

P.S. EDIT: no, my profile pic is not the bus. That's just a funny "short bus" from the internet; a friend sent it to me because he likes to make fun of the fact that it's a short bus.

Last edited:

bystander

Reaction score
holy fuckin' shit,

awesome. all of it.

welcome my friend.

Matt Derrick

Retired Wanderer
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
awesome intro and welcome to StP!

that's great that you're being so proactive about the privacy thing. it's important to remember that this is the internet and a lot of this is going to be around for a long time. so careful what you post!

i don't mind removing stuff if it's going to get someone in trouble, but i do mind if it's something dumb they didn't think about first before posting, since i have better things to do with my time than run through someone's threads and remove all identifying content they posted (it's been an issue in the past).

but anyways, this is all detailed in the help section, so check that out when you have time.

i'm interested in why your parents are so against the bus thing? especially since you've already graduated college (and doing a masters from what i read).

Reactions: Desperado Deluxe
K

Kim Chee

The best advice I think I have to offer right now is find two "plan B" situations before you have any trouble with "plan A".

I hope "plan A" goes on for just as long as you want it to.

Welcome!

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Hellofan intro! <claps> And nice set up. I work at a college and I while I may talk about some things, I do not point things out and name them, same as with any job I guess. :) Welcome aboard!

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads