Busking with laptop and Keyboard ?? | Squat the Planet

Busking with laptop and Keyboard ??

NattyKiwi

Previously Steve James
Reaction score
So I was walking down Ali'i Drive the other day and seen a group of travelers playing guitar and singing for some cash. They weren't bad, but played alot of songs i could of guessed.

I was wondering if i set my laptop and bluetooth speaker up and played live mixes on the corner. Some stuff like electronic/experimental. Stuff like kryptic minds. But all original that I make on the spot!

Also if anybody has exp traveling with electronics id like to know how you keep it safe and guarded!

Thanks

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
i wrap my stuff so it looks like camouflaged garbage. i made a water resistant laptop case out of an old GI foam mat and duct tape. that fit inside of a cardboard priority mailer i got free at tha post office. make everything dirty looking and put old bits of duct tape here n there.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
plus it doesnt hurt to smear brown mustard on a diaper then stash that in plain view. Absolutely the spicy brown kind with mustard seeds NOT Frenchs

LOL I'm sure that would put a halt to the money coming in ... I see something like that - OH HELLA NO. 90 degree change in direction!

I actually hit some cool traveling buskers today - freak it was 70F in NYS today. And they were where I usually see travelers - in front of Aaron's Alley on Monroe Ave. And they were making out busking too. Good times!!

But the baby butt brown mustard. LOL. let me know how that goes for ya. :D

• Haha
Reactions: Mankini

NattyKiwi

Previously Steve James
Reaction score
Thanks guys!
I might just have to try that. haha
And yeah, I figure since iv never seen it in person yet why not try it out. I know that type of music appeals to alot of age groups to be interested.

Reactions: Mankini

Mankini

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
miniaturize as much as you can; digitalize what you can. idk. i play with a pignose and a mexican strat...so quien sabe :)

linno

Reaction score
I traveled with a laptop briefly after losing my phone. I say briefly cuz that shit disappeared real quick, was a constant paranoia, and a bitch to take on trains. I have a hard time believing you'd make money "busking" with a laptop, but you would probably make some friends and have a good day.
I also travel with an LED hula hoop. my biggest concern is the rain, but a trash bag or pack rain cover did me good....
from experience I'd say it's def not worth travelling with a laptop unless you enjoy sitting in Starbucks a lot or experiencing loss, cuz that shits gonna disapedisappear or get damaged. ...

Leocalifornya

Reaction score
Bro, just go for it. If you can make some good music and get people into it, then you will get paid. Quality busking has almost nothing to do with your instruments and almost everything to do with what you are expressing. A great example of someone who makes great music with electronics is Reggie Watts.
4eba165afc82da529955a938d2c078b85df4eb69_254x191.jpg

Dude is brilliant with his shit, and it's all on the spot. If you can pull off even half what he does, you would do well. Just get your ass out there and try it!

RovingGale

Burrito fund contributor
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say go for it. It would probably be better if you were running it off a tiny, crappy laptop (or at least one where you've made the case look like it's been through a bunch), but man, if you're actually playing and it's enjoyable music you're gonna get kickdowns even if you're using a laptop. I suppose this might depend a *little* on where you are, but in big cities or artsy towns (think Asheville or Charlottesville) it should be just fine.

SpoonLady

Reaction score
My advice, be as "low key" as "any other busker" and set a good example for those coming with electronics behind you. Kepp it at a decent level, be aware of those around you, and use common sense. If you and others set good examples for those with electronics it will make it easier for those behind you.

RoadFlower33

Born Wild
StP Supporter
Reaction score
I would proly kickdown to a curbside DJ. maybe make a cardboard top for your laptop so it looks like a turn table... get creative with your "show" and you will be okay man. never say never

Beegod Santana

Reaction score
Busking is a performance. Playing a recorded track on a loud speaker is not a performance. I wouldn't sit there playing a recording of me playing a guitar and singing. Electronics are fine but people wanna see you create something on that side walk. Also lots of places have no amplification ordinances. I say sell your laptop and get a talent that doesn't require ram.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads