News & Blogs - Burning Man, buys ranch next to BRD | Squat the Planet

News & Blogs Burning Man, buys ranch next to BRD

Dmac

Reaction score
I found this today and thought I would share.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/organizers-burning-man-festival-pony-ranch-nevada-041102765.html?nhp=1

Organizers of Burning Man festival pony up for ranch in Nevada

d0c3eb8ca18907492a4b337b5cec5193.jpe
June 10, 2016

(Reuters) - Organizers of Burning Man, an annual counter-culture festival that climaxes with the burning of a wooden effigy in the Nevada desert, has bought a ranch in the southwestern state to run year round art and self expression activities, the group said on Friday.

Funded by donations from supporters, Burning Man paid $6.5 million for Fly Ranch, a 3,800-acre (1,538-hectare) property about 20 miles north of Gerlach, Nevada, it said on its website.

The festival, which has drawn more than 60,000 participants to create a temporary city in northern Nevada's Black Rock Desert, will remain in its current location and not move to the ranch, the organizers said.

"As a year-round site, Fly Ranch has the potential to expand Burning Man Project's activities and existing programs, as well as amplify Burning Man's cultural impact into the wider world beyond Black Rock City," the group behind the festival said on the website.

Fly Ranch has a geothermal geyser releasing a continuous stream of water, as well as wetlands, spring-water pools and sagebrush, the Web post said. It is not immediately open to the public.

This year's Burning Man festival is set to take place between Aug. 28 and Set. 5 in the Black Rock Desert.

The festival attracts artists and a large contingent of technology workers from Silicon Valley, among others.

(Reporting by Alex Dobuzinskis in Los Angeles; Editing by Simon Cameron-Moore)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 20

There are some employment opportunities at Black Rock City as well to help make things happen. BM is becoming more and more the playground of the wealthy and or beautiful and very much pay to play. I have been volunteering at events to gain entrance for ever and registered to recieve emails about employment and volunteer opportunities at BM. Mostly I want to avoid paying for a ticket but also like to participate and have a purpose while attending an event.

There are few year round jobs for BM but more and more opportunities to help out with logistics to help build and maintain BRC every year. I have gone a few times and def want to be more involved with volunteering now. I think going to the main event and learning about the expectations of the culture of Burning Man while giving back by helping out will help anyone get aclimated to all things BM. The whole idea of BM is to take what you see and do back home to the corners of the earth to make our world better. For anyone who hasnt gone, please go. There are some negative results of this temporary Utopia so I urge others to become a participant in the Burner community to see whats, what.

There are regional BM events that exist around the country as well. These too will help others decide how much they want to Burn.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads