Burlington V.T.

bfalk420

Reaction score
Although there may not be any trains going here Burlington V.T. is one of the coolest cities I have ever lived in ( lived there for 8 years) please visit you won't be disapionted.

Reactions: Mankini

Skankin Jerry

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Church Street is pretty awesome for just hanging out. And the backside of city hall place is where all the local artsy kids used to hang out. I think they've been slowly replaced by the "emo/scene" kids. The last time I was in Burlington, I just went for the day to see a show, and all of the kids (ages 14-19) were pretty lame.

City Hall park is a pretty cool place, and the police don't try to chase the homeless out of the parks. There are a lot of people who role in for various shows year round, and a ton during the annual Jazz festival which is usually around June or July.

Skankin Jerry

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Taken from Digihitch:

Alright, I've lived in Vermont for a long, long time, and been hitching around a bit for the last 3 or 4 years.
In my experience VT is a great state to thumb it, here's why:

1. If there's any laws about hitching, they are not enforced, I've hitched cars in front and behind cops and wasn't bothered.
2. People are really friendly and willing to pick up hitchers, and occasionally give them a place to stay and if not you're never ever far from some woods to camp out in.
3. It is a beautiful state, except in February when it is colder than a witch's tit. If you are hitching into Vermont in February all the locals will give you strange looks.

Some good routes to take in VT:

* I thumbed north up Route 100 a little while ago, it's a really nice route, it goes right through the mountains. Towards the northern end, just before the town of Warren and Sugarbush Resort, there is a really nice waterfall, called Warren Falls, it's right on Route 100 and I recommend you scope it.

* I'd go into rural Vermont for at least a little while, and if you want rural, go to the northeast. There's nothing really to do but hike or wander in the woods, but if you need to chill out, it's a good spot. Once you get to the back roads cars are MUCH more likly to pick you up, but on a lot of roads, cars don't pass very often, generally if you stick to paved 2 lane roads you should be okay. Once you go to dirt, you can wait for hours before a car goes by.

bfalk420

Reaction score
Burlington and V.T. as a whole are awesome I have hitched in and out of there countless times ( I lived there for 7 years) and yes Burlington is very hitchiker friendly.

stove

Reaction score
hah while i appluad the enthusiasm, don't take everything you read for truth. hitching in vt is pretty easy, though around some spots you will find plenty of rich folk not giving a damn about you...cop aren't a bother hitching, but watch out around burlington and points north if you have a warrant, border patrol is around and will bust ya. it's also easy to cross over to ny and mess around in plattsburg. a chill spot, there is a ton of camping right near downtown which can be easily accessed but you won't get fucked with...and yeah last i checked necr runs from st albans bus passes through essex junction all the way dwn to CT...never did take that ride m'self though.

Skankin Jerry

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hah while i appluad the enthusiasm, don't take everything you read for truth. hitching in vt is pretty easy, though around some spots you will find plenty of rich folk not giving a damn about you...cop aren't a bother hitching, but watch out around burlington and points north if you have a warrant, border patrol is around and will bust ya. it's also easy to cross over to ny and mess around in plattsburg. a chill spot, there is a ton of camping right near downtown which can be easily accessed but you won't get fucked with...and yeah last i checked necr runs from st albans bus passes through essex junction all the way dwn to CT...never did take that ride m'self though.

I don't know when the last time you camped downtown in Plattsburgh was, but the Champlain Monument park is watched like a hawk nowadays. Toward the end of the summer last year they started enforcing the 9 o' clock curfew at the Monument because of all the drug activity in the area, so I don't know what it's going to be like come spring time when everyone starts hanging their again. There has been a recent increase in the amount of Psychoactive drugs trafficked through the area (specifically downtown) so we'll see once it starts warming up what police activity looks like. Rugar woods is super fun to camp in, because of all the biking trails and the 'stoner trails'. They're fun to explore too, if you're willing to get lost, muddy, and end up on the interstate. There are a couple abandoned buildings along the railroad tracks, but you have to break into them, and the police watch them too. PM me for info if you're ever in the area again.

• Useful
Reactions: Mankini
D

Deleted member 20

Its been said & I laughed at first but Burlington,VT is the heroin capital of the northeast. I live in New Bedford, the biggest fishing port in America & some smuggleing but I guess lots of junk comes from canada via Burlington,VT.

mAlice

Reaction score
I'm in Plattsburgh right now. I have a sister who lives here and I used to have my own place here about 6 months ago.
I actually want to work on leaving now... but I want to build a vardo. So I need to find a decent work area to make it and I don't really want to do it at my sisters anymore. (there are to many people here) I've been maybe thinking of walking to Burlington and working on getting some of the shit I need to build there.

stellaxtara

Reaction score
Burlington is a cool fucking place. Vermont in general is fucking great. Lots of fucking chill people lots of fucking drugs & liberals. The co-ops are great... something I greatly miss. They don't have them any where in NC or VA. pretty much... no where in the south I've been.... ahhhh so fucking cold though... when the snow starts melting though... mud season SUCKS to try and camp/survive outside. Muck. Gross.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads