Bump key | Squat the Planet

Bump key

wartomods

Reaction score
I want to know more about the subject.
Do you own one, have you ever used one, if yes did it work , in what situation you used it ?

bumpkey1.jpg

Disclaimer:
This thread is only for informational purpose and any member of this forum that has used this key has done it in their own property.

genghis braun

Reaction score
a close friend of mine had success with it a few years ago...don't see why it shouldn't work now.

Gudj

Oogle
Reaction score
Website
wolfmode.wordpress.com
A locksmith friend of mine uses one. Less conspicuous but maybe also less flexible than other lock tools.

Does anybody know that store in Arizona off of the 10 that sells these, and the automobile versions, and a bunch of ridiculous cutlery and self defense gear?

..I suppose there is probably more than one of those stores in AZ.

drabortion

Rad Nomad
Reaction score
I've used them from time to time. Mainly when I didn't have my lock picks on me, I use to carry an emergency bump key on my key chain. They're insanely easy to make and retarded easy to use. Just slide it in, and knock it with a blunt object while applying slight/firm turning pressure. All you're doing is knocking the pins above the shear line fast enough to turn and lock em into place.
To make one all you do is find a normal key that no one is using or doesn't really go to anything and file down all the little mountain ridges so they're all the same size and preferably the smallest mountain size. Which should be size 1 I believe. You could probably even take it to a shop and make them do it for like five bucks.

Tao_of_Pi

Reaction score
I have some. They do work great but it does require some practice (though not nearly as much as actually picking the lock). It's fairly easy to make your own but if you have absolutely no idea what you're doing you can end up jamming the key inside of the lock requiring a locksmith to remove the key and open the lock. You also need to remember that you need a different key for every model of lock, and just because it's the same brand doesn't mean it's the same model of lock.

The science is pretty straight forward, all the key really is is a conduit that transfers the horizontal force of your blow into a vertical force sending the pins shooting up into their cylinders simultaneously, and assuming you're applying some torque the second those pins hit the shear line the plug turns catching the pins.

It's hard to find a store that will actually sell bump keys, because most locksmiths are assholes who believe that all forms of lock bypass tools should be outlawed for everyone except certified locksmiths. Some love it because they can create a level of hysteria and sell expensive locks to naive consumers claiming that they're "bump proof" when in reality they're anything but. The best place to buy ready made ones is on the internet. http://www.bumpkey.us is the most reliable site I know of, I'd suggest the "18 key" set, it's the one I own and it'll cover you for almost any lock you should happen across.

One more thing to keep in mind is that more and more states are passing laws prohibiting the sale and use of bump keys. I know in California for example it's a crime just to possess them even if you haven't used them in an unlawful way. fuckin police states.

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hey thurrrr. i just made a bump key for the first time and need help and tips on bumping the locks. anything would help. also, ill upload a pic of the key if i can get my hands on a camera so you can tell me how bad i fucked it up. thanks.

Margarita

Sunset Follower
Reaction score
Pretty good resources for this on google. I found a video of a guy who made his own bump key and then shows you how to bump the lock. It's very simple. I don't have the link at my disposal but it was literally like "how to make bump key" in google.

Sen

Reaction score
If you can get hold of one, you want to use a depth key. Kwikset uses 6 distinct depths and Schlage uses 5 (IIRC), so use the deepest one. You can also probably find the specs on-line, and cut your own. Try on-line sites for depth keys, or go to a locksmith or old-school, mom 'n pop hardware store. Tell them you are re-pinning a lock for a master key, or are an amateur locksmith, but somehow misplaced your depth key set. Ask to copy theirs (you'll end up with around half a dozen keys). Make sure you know the brand of the lock - most Kwiksets have 5, but their "high-security" models have 6 - so you'll need a different set of keys for each type of lock. My house key is a 6-pin KW10 key, while my other KW keys are all 5-pin. If you're not sure, count the number of flat spots or grooves (not ridges) and you'll know the number of pins.

As far as actual technique, I'll start off with this: Some locks are extremely difficult to "bump". They are coming out with newer models that are "bump-proof", and work by absorbing the shock. Generally speaking, Kwikset is the easiest to bump (in my opinion), and fortunately is one of the most common brands out there.

You have to apply *just* the right amount of torsion (aka 'tension') to the lock.... simply put, this just takes practice and experience. Striking the key is more about making a quick snap rather than a hard hit. It helps if your key fits the lock easily (have them run it through the wire brush a few times at the hardware store). If it sticks, it's not going to work.

Personally, I find it easier to just straight-up pick the lock. But that takes practice, too. If you learn to pick locks (pick, not rake), you'll have a better appreciation for the proper amount of torsion to apply. It's really a lot less than you'd think.

Finally, the mandatory legal disclaimer: Bump keys and lock pick sets are usually considered burglary tools. In some cases, it's illegal to have them, period. Other places, it'll just add on jailtime if you get caught in the act. I recommend the "PIP-13" pick set - those 1,200-piece mega spy sets are unnecessary for 99.7% of applications. A japanese set is nice for picking some garage door locks (which are identical to an SC1 key, but made from a thinner blank). Don't waste money on it unless you KNOW you have a use for it.

That was kind of long, and not sure if it was helpful. Let me know if you have other questions, or something specific I can help with...

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
no man, definatley helpful. i didnt know there was different numbers of pins in different doors. i tried it on a different lock in about 15 tries i got it and now i can get it in one or 2. thanks alot

EphemeralStick

Andie of the House of Queer
Reaction score
pretty cool chart but i can't think of a single reason i'd need to get into something with one of these kinds of locks!

I once saw a small convenience store that had one of those fence things that cover the front of the store when its closed, it was locked with a combination lock. the area was pretty populated soo i guess the owner was confident no one would break in? either way combo locks are a joke.

crazy john

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
i say boltcutters for combo or padlocks if you can find em. i got the bump down and have been useing it to let myself into an abandoned bankrupted resturaunt chain location for a sweet place to sleep. plus i can lock my stuff inside if i dont feel like carying it around all day and unlock the door when i come home at night with the police being none the wiser

Reactions: 40 Hands

makan kotoran

Reaction score
tonight i discovered that halved elastic rail fastner spikes make the best little crowbars for padlocks.
just stick it between the latch and the... yknow, other bit, find a point to lever it off and they'll pop right open, although some of the better locks will have to be broken..
this should suffice until I have the facilities to make a torque wrench.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads