buddhist monasteries?

DonutEyes

Reaction score
i dont have a particular one in mind, i enjoy buddhist philosophy along with some other religious philosophies. i know Thich Nhat Hanh has a couple, Deer Park(CA) and Plum Villiage(france). just curious as to if anyone here has ever stayed at such a place

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
Deer Park is lovely <3 I haven't ever stayed there, but I love to spend the day.

Peagreen

Reaction score
Donut, without googling do you know..

What the purpose of buddhist chanting is and how it originated

What the five aggregates are

and what precepts are for

If you can't answer these to yourself, without google, you've got a lot of research to do before you should be considering living at any monastery for an extended period of time.

scatwomb

Reaction score
Yeah, I mean, living in a monastery is a huge commitment.

I don't know how long you've practiced, but, I'd talk to a teacher rather than folks on here. I mean, there could be some random chance that one of us stayed in a legit monastery, but, I'd start with talking directly to a teaching at a Zen or meditation center in your hometown (if you live in a big city, at least).

That'd be a good start, in my opinion.

Reactions: Peagreen

schmutz

cooler than you
Reaction score
I don't think Buddhism is considered a religion?

Edited to add: but I also don't think they let you stay unless you are serious...go for the atmosphere during the day. Also check out Self Realization Fellowship, they have incredible meditation gardens.

I actually go to Catholic and Orthodox Monasteries, too. There is peace in holy places and as long as you are respectful you are usually welcome (except don't touch an Orthodox monk if you are a girl, they don't like that)

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads