bringing flick knives into Canada/US | Squat the Planet

bringing flick knives into Canada/US

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
I wouldn't recommend dismantling. It looks like you're intentionally smuggling and is an invitation to be hassled.

I just leave my knife in the pocket of the dirty jeans in my pack like I didn't even think about it. I've never had one confiscated.

Customs can confiscate anything they want to though, and you'll never win the argument, so if you've got a knife or anything else you don't want to risk losing you probably ought to mail it across the boarder.

Dan0Eye

Reaction score
Kinda old but when I rolled across the border to Montreal, they just made me tighten the shit out of the screw so it wasn't so loose. I dunno, kind of weird since I just fixed it the moment I got out of there. Unless the length is fucked, just carry it with you.

cranberrydavid

Reaction score
Local cops hassle you for knives because they're charged with keeping the peace. International customs doesn't give a shit about state or local laws. They're just looking for contraband items.

Hunters and fishermen take so many rifles, shotguns, skinning knives and gutting knives across the Canadian/American boarder that they mostly don't look twice at any knife that looks like it's part of your gear, unless you look like you're looking for trouble.

On my last overseas trip I bought a $3 switchblade in Moscow which I kind of planned would get confiscated (I wanted to test the system), but I brought it all the way home through half a dozen border searches and into a federal building in DC without anybody looking at it twice. It had a healthy coating of cheese, peanutbutter and breadcrumbs, and went into my pack when I thought I'd be going through a metal detector. No problems!

Your results may vary.

blkhwbkr

Reaction score
Your results may vary.

i think that sums it up best.
if its something you really wouldn't wanna lose, spend a couple bucks mailing it on general delivery to the town just across the border.
or just go for it?
i've wound up keeping knives on airplanes (last year, even) and the canadians didn't think twice about any of my knives/ multitools, though none of those are very threatening at all, just utility.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads