Brand New Here, Greetings From San Diego

Canvanan

Reaction score
Hello everyone and thank you for allowing me to be part of of this community. I joined yesterday and am just beginning to gather my bearings regarding what this site is and who its members are. My hope is that I will find a home here, a place of kindred spirits, acceptance and belonging.

I began living full time in a stealth van while living in Salt Lake City, Utah, in April of 2016. Many factors led to this choice. For now, I'll summarize it this way: I have never been married. I have no children. I became extremely disenchanted with the idea of spending more money on living spaces that would, essentially, serve as storage facilities for possessions I'd accumulated throughout my lifetime.

I urgently felt the need, not only for a new experience, but a complete paradigm shift in how I lived and in what my life is. I have certainly attained this. Part of my journey, so far, has been finding a new kind of work. A work that allows me to travel throughout the country when I'm not residing in my van. My work completely compliments my van dwelling lifestyle and, in a way, seems to be a kind of reward for the leap of faith this transition required.

I will be honest and say that, prior to selling and giving away virtually all I possess, I tried to take into account all the conditions and eventualities of van living. I did as much research as I could. The one crucial condition I knew I had to achieve was this: I knew I had to be be ready, and I mean absolutely, 100%, no doubt about it ready, for a life without the possibility of a romantic partner or companion.

It's been nearly 7 months and it is, with great reluctance, I must admit to myself, that I underestimated my needs and desires in this regard. To be perfectly honest with myself and with you, the reader of this profile, I would prefer to have a partner...someone to love and be loved by. I guess, after all, I'm human.

I realize this isn't a dating site and I give you all my solemn commitment I won't use it as such. If it is a place that accepts and understand the values I hold most high, it seems to me the kind of person I would be most happy with would be in this place.

At any rate, that's a brief outline of who I am, what I'm doing and what I want. I hope all of you are coming closer each day to the life you want and the person you want to be. Looking forward to my adventure here.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Well hi there - and welcome to STP. We do have a subforum for rubber trampers as well as people looking for a road dawg. While we are not a dating service as you noted, hey who knows if you post in the forums - who may want to travel with you. :) Hey and good luck too!

Canvanan

Reaction score
Well hi there - and welcome to STP. We do have a subforum for rubber trampers as well as people looking for a road dawg. While we are not a dating service as you noted, hey who knows if you post in the forums - who may want to travel with you. :) Hey and good luck too!

Thanks so much, Tude, for your kind welcome and encouragement. I'm learning things already. Rubber tramper is someone who lives in a van specifically, or anyone in an RV? A road dawg is someone who travels with anyone with a rubber stamper? I'm thinking of taking people along on my work trips. How do I find the subforum you referred to? Thanks again.

Canvanan

Reaction score

One final thing I'm curious about, at the moment, I've noticed there is a lot of swearing on this site. I'm not a prude and certainly can throw and expletive or two but it seems very common here, or am I misguided in that impression? If not, then I'm wondering why this is so.

A

A New Name

This community is made of the desenchanted, or in desenchantment, with the Competitive-Consuming Statist-Capitalist society. It has from the green thumb ecovillager to the most ardent of firestarters. Some of us have a "ruder" way about vocabulary, but not having less the heart in the right place for it.

And welcome Canvanan to the community of the other side.

A

AnOldHope

One final thing I'm curious about, at the moment, I've noticed there is a lot of swearing on this site. I'm not a prude and certainly can throw and expletive or two but it seems very common here, or am I misguided in that impression? If not, then I'm wondering why this is so.

I'm new so I don't have a good answer (other than perhaps the board demographically skews younger but I have zero data to back that up), but it makes me remember Sam Elliot's character in Lebowski, as cool as only Sam Elliot can be. Basically asked the same question, narrates well. I don't know why I thought of that, I just really like that scene.

Billy Cougar White

Reaction score
Welcome. I'm a newbie myself. Safe and happy travels. If our paths cross, lets smoke a joint, and tell tall tales.

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Hello Canvanan and welcome! A road dog is anyone who travels along with you. I.E. Hitchhiking, Rubber-Tramping, and/or Train Hopping. Although, the latter is usually known as a Fellow 'Bo. (Hobo) At least, that's always been my understanding. You mentioned, thinking about taking people along with you for work. What do you do?

Canvanan

Reaction score
This community is made of the desenchanted, or in desenchantment, with the Competitive-Consuming Statist-Capitalist society. It has from the green thumb ecovillager to the most ardent of firestarters. Some of us have a "ruder" way about vocabulary, but not having less the heart in the right place for it.

Thank you for your feedback Bruno. Your explanation is consistent with my first impressions, which is precisely why I joined the site. Though my choices have to do, I think, with more of a personal journey than a reaction or retaliation toward social or cultural forces. I'm just doing what I think is best for me. In other words I think I share the same values as this community but for non-revolutionary reasons. I hope that doesn't make me a misfit among misfits. Thank you again for your thoughtful words.

Canvanan

Reaction score
Hello Canvanan and welcome! A road dog is anyone who travels along with you. I.E. Hitchhiking, Rubber-Tramping, and/or Train Hopping. Although, the latter is usually known as a Fellow 'Bo. (Hobo) At least, that's always been my understanding. You mentioned, thinking about taking people along with you for work. What do you do?
Hi Applelatchun,
Thanks for the update on terminology. I work for a mobile billboard advertising company. I drive a mobile billboard around the country. Here's a pic of my "office". Thanks again.

Attachments

• My Office.jpg
    My Office.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 236

Canvanan

Reaction score
I'm new so I don't have a good answer (other than perhaps the board demographically skews younger but I have zero data to back that up), but it makes me remember Sam Elliot's character in Lebowski, as cool as only Sam Elliot can be. Basically asked the same question, narrates well. I don't know why I thought of that, I just really like that scene.

Thanks for the input Old Hope. I guess we'll both have to ponder on this a bit. My niece is an aspiring stand up comic and I was in Philly this week, to see her show. There were about 6 other comics in the line up. I hadn't hear this many "fucks" and "fuck you's" since I saw SCARFACE. It really seemed forced and gratuitous. It doesn't seem so here. There seems to be an authentic undercurrent of anger in the STP context. But, as a newbie myself, I'm only beginning to see and understand what this place is all about. Best wishes to you and thank you again.

A

A New Name

Thank you for your feedback Bruno. Your explanation is consistent with my first impressions, which is precisely why I joined the site. Though my choices have to do, I think, with more of a personal journey than a reaction or retaliation toward social or cultural forces. I'm just doing what I think is best for me. In other words I think I share the same values as this community but for non-revolutionary reasons. I hope that doesn't make me a misfit among misfits. Thank you again for your thoughtful words.

You're not doing it for revolutionary reasons, but, it seems to me, you are doing it for evolutionary reasons.
And it's not possible to be a misfit among misfits if said misfits are actually misfits in the first place.

Applelatchun

Reaction score
Canavan, cool office! I was assuming you had some type of camper van. This appears to be a flat bed of sorts. Do you sleep in the small confines of the cab, or hit up the motels ... maybe pitch a tent from time to time? The flat bed would be a great cook platform for a charcoal grill to be sure.

Canvanan

Reaction score
Canavan, cool office! I was assuming you had some type of camper van. This appears to be a flat bed of sorts. Do you sleep in the small confines of the cab, or hit up the motels ... maybe pitch a tent from time to time? The flat bed would be a great cook platform for a charcoal grill to be sure.
Hi Applelatchun...sorry for not being a bit more clear on my end. The mobile ad truck is the the space I work in when I am not in San Diego. I drive it all over the country but when I am NOT working I live in THIS, usually in the San Diego area.

Attachments

• My Home.jpg
    My Home.jpg
    375.8 KB · Views: 262
A

AnOldHope

Hi Applelatchun...sorry for not being a bit more clear on my end. The mobile ad truck is the the space I work in when I am not in San Diego. I drive it all over the country but when I am NOT working I live in THIS, usually in the San Diego area.

That looks like a good stealth van (although I've never van-dwelled, so this is a layperson's opinion). Do you use much in the way of solar?

Garminbozia

Reaction score
Welcome to StP dude! I hear ya on "being human". I've been single for almost 10 years now and being apart of a community brings hope in finding that special someone. Hang in there dude. And holy smokes I'm totally gonna have to look into getting that job! I've been driving around the U.S. now off and on for 2 years. I work on a processing boat for 6 months out of the year then drive around the other 6 months looking for adventures. And it's time I buckle down and start saving for a house. But if I can drive one of those around I can keep doing what I'm doing! Heaven's glory it's amazing! ...If you don't mind, how long have you been driving the billboard? Is there anything I should be aware of before I find out how and where to apply?

Canvanan

Reaction score
That looks like a good stealth van (although I've never van-dwelled, so this is a layperson's opinion). Do you use much in the way of solar?
I am a ONE HUNDRED PERCENT boondocker with the van. I have made no effort, with this van's construction, to replace the fundamentals of a standard home. I shower at 24 Hour Fitness and sleep in the van. That is the van's only function as a habitat for me.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads