Bottle Cap Snake

MrD

Internet SuperHero
Reaction score
Website
www.sometimesmotion.com
So here is a craft that I learned as a kid, but still think it is cool.
Fun thing to do while waiting for a train!

-Collect up about 80-100 bottle caps
Bars are a great place, go in and ask the bartender for em'

-Don't use bent ones, they will not work out in the end

-Stab a small hold through the center of the cap

-I use one of these:

not sure whats its called, but they can easily be liberated from just about any hardware store, or purchased for only like 3-4 bucks.

-Alternatively, hammer and nail will get the job done

-Once all caps have a hole, get a piece of string or wire about a foot and a half long.

-Tie a knot at the end and start stringing the caps on

-Next get a cork from any wine bottle and make a hole through.

-Using a large needle is an easy way to get the string through without making a hole prior

-Tie off the end

-Now glue on eyes, I had the weird craft ones, but you can get creative here and use beads, rocks, bits of plastic, Etc.

And there you go, its something to do to kill time and they are cool trade items and probably easy to sell.

Have fun, and let me know what you think!

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Ah,the mispent days of my youth,and figuring out if you made the snake out of about 200 caps,with p-cord running thru the hole,you had one hell of an eqilizer for a streetfight................

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Ah,the mispent days of my youth,and figuring out if you made the snake out of about 200 caps,with p-cord running thru the hole,you had one hell of an eqilizer for a streetfight................

I have a bit of trouble imagining exactly how you would fight with this unless you had something pretty heavy at the end of it or used it like a flexible segmented saw-blade. It'd be better than nothing, but a stout stick would be better...

st1tch

Reaction score
I have a bit of trouble imagining exactly how you would fight with this unless you had something pretty heavy at the end of it or used it like a flexible segmented saw-blade. It'd be better than nothing, but a stout stick would be better...

Consider the intimadation factor when someone pulls out a bottle cap snake in a fight- I'd be pretty sure they must be good with it to bring it out in the first place.:p

finn

Playground Monitor
Reaction score
Consider the intimadation factor when someone pulls out a bottle cap snake in a fight- I'd be pretty sure they must be good with it to bring it out in the first place.:p

I've encountered swords before, so I consider that a toy, like a yoyo. You can hurt someone with it, but it's not that easy to kill or hurt someone badly with it. Anyway, I bet you could also make a octopus/squid with that technique when you get bored with snakes...

PS. I don't value advice about fighting from people who obviously have little experience in the matter.

st1tch

Reaction score
I've encountered swords before, so I consider that a toy, like a yoyo. You can hurt someone with it, but it's not that easy to kill or hurt someone badly with it. Anyway, I bet you could also make a octopus/squid with that technique when you get bored with snakes...

Ahaha, my one friend's friend got a good chunk of his skull cut off by a katana at a drug-deal-gone-bad and still managed to stab the guy afterwards!

And for the yoyo- I forget which culture, but there was a yoyo-like weapon with straight razors along certain edges, so don't be putting down the yoyo!

oldmanLee

Reaction score
Now kids.........no sqabbling!You wrap the long snake 'round your hand once,with the loose end with the edges of the cap pointed back towards your thumb and forefinger.Makes a fair whipping weapon,but it really shines as a knucleduster.On exposed skin its sort of like being hit by a cheesegrater with attitude.
The yoyo did start out as a throwing weapon with spikes around the edge,or a VERY large(6"-8"spool out of hardwood) in the Phillipines.Supposed to have been used as a ambush weapon from above.

farmer john

Reaction score
Now kids.........no sqabbling!You wrap the long snake 'round your hand once,with the loose end with the edges of the cap pointed back towards your thumb and forefinger.Makes a fair whipping weapon,but it really shines as a knucleduster.On exposed skin its sort of like being hit by a cheesegrater with attitude.
The yoyo did start out as a throwing weapon with spikes around the edge,or a VERY large(6"-8"spool out of hardwood) in the Phillipines.Supposed to have been used as a ambush weapon from above.

see james bond octopussy i think it was

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads