Bones and Skulls

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
Where the hell does everyone get all these cool skulls, bones? Many of us punks like to use bones in jewelry, or just in our art. Go searching. Train Tracks are the best place to find animal bones and dead animals. Look on stretches of tracks that are isolated, wooded and running through alot of trees. Along the beach is a great place to find animal bones and carcasses as well.

If you want bones from a animal that has just died, like roadkill, it is possible but with a bit of patience to allow the decomposition process to happen. you can speed it up a bit tho. To clean a carcass from its meat, and get to its bones, if you have the time, on a hot day get a five gallon bucket and place it in your backyard. Fill it up with hot water and leave it in the sun. Then skin the animal and take off as much meat as possible, making sure you take out all the organs. save the skins if youd like to tan them. I honestly would place the head in one bucket, the feet in another and then the rest in another. BEWARE it smells fucking terrible. over time the body will decompose faster then it would on the ground or if you buried it. The water creates some sort of bacteria to grow and move fast upon the critter. Pour out half of the old water every few days but leave in enough water so the bacteria is still growing. Then refill with clean water and wait. After some time you should have nasty, but meatless and hairless dead animal skeletons. You then can clean that.
You can also have your own dermestid beetle colony. This is what I did originally. I had my own colony of flesh eating beetles and they will eat a dead animal in a matter of days untill all you have left is bones. I just couldnt watch them and care for em like i should have ccause i needed to deal with some things away from home for a while.
Also burying is a thing. For these three ways i just listed you should always skin the animal first and take off as much meat as possible. it makes the process go a bit faster.

I personally, like the look that nature gives bones over time, i think it gives them character. but many people like their bones to be white and clean.
Most people use bleach, which is actually very terrible for the bone/skull because it makes it brittle and is easily cracked or shattered and may become flaky. Go to your grocery store and buy hydrogen Peroxide, place the bones in that for a few hours to a few days. When you pull em out your bones will be whiter then snow depending on how long you keep them in for. Does not destroy the surface of the bones. Do not put small paper like thin bones like snake ribs, or small opossum/cat claws in. They will melt into a gooey white mess.

Wawa

Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
uploadfromtaptalk1428994768116.jpg

Good stuff.. I didn't know about the hydrogen peroxide. Seriously going to use that.

Related; bird parts are super easy to dry out. To preserve bird wings, just slit open the skin and peel out the muscle. A sewing needle works well for small birds. Pack salt into the skin, keep it ventilated until it seems dry and inflexible. Paper bag works well.. I dried out some huge beautiful crow wings hanging on my pack. Took about a week. Picture is of a kingfisher wing on my hat.

Birds have a particular smell to them. So far every bird I've found that is not rotten has it... kind of sweet and musty. Makes it easy to tell if everything is drying out well.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Had to do a project for a forensics course I took. Professor used to work with a crime lab in LA after a stint in a big new (then) lab at Kent state where if a cadaver came in - he's the one who ran the big boiler. ick. But for our project we had to "kill" a chicken (a broiler bird bought fresh in the grocery store) - I stabbed my chicken in a fit of "drunken rage", another shot his chicken - etc. But then we had to dispose of the body for a while (I buried mine) then to finish up the project we had to prepare the skeleton - doing what he used to do at Kent state - boil it in soap. And yeah he said not to use bleach as well. It did a really good job - took a little while on the stove, but it took me 3 days to get the stink out of my place.

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
I keep my bird wings in salt for about three weeks. Altho be careful, MOST bird parts, feathers even are illegal to carry around and u get fined up the ass for having it. Selling em as well is super risky. Keep off ur facebook pg cause o narks suck ass

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
The summer is the best time to get the bones from thinhs, the winter and fall is the best time to find and preserve parts.

Tude

Sometimes traveler is traveling.
Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize that there are so many laws concerning bird feathers! OK, I can see endangered species (I guess if you have a feather from them you may have been involved in the bird's demise?) and migratory birds are on that list plus others - oh and no ducks except mallards against the law - unless used for fly fishing lures. Quite an extensive much of laws out there - I was looking at lists dated 2013 and older - so you know they've added a few more in the more recent times. I never knew!

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
Im working on a bone flute atm. Deer leg bone. Excuse my electric wizard shirt behind it hahhahaha. Fking great band.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1429035579498.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1429035579498.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 395
Reactions: sandpaper cowboy

Desperado Deluxe

Reaction score
Wow I didn't realize that there are so many laws concerning bird feathers! OK, I can see endangered species (I guess if you have a feather from them you may have been involved in the bird's demise?) and migratory birds are on that list plus others - oh and no ducks except mallards against the law - unless used for fly fishing lures. Quite an extensive much of laws out there - I was looking at lists dated 2013 and older - so you know they've added a few more in the more recent times. I never knew!
Yea for the number of times I've seen some kind of beautiful bird on the side of the road that was hit by a car.. I've always avoided messing with it because of the laws. In Big Sur, CA I walked by the same carcass of a condor twice on two separate trips and just thought that has a nice skull but I ain't fuckin with it. Especially because I believe its on the threatened species list.
If its just a feather tho I say fuck it.

Mikael Runefoot

Reaction score
Have any if you heard of the skinning technique where u start from the mouth and you pull the body through the mouth opening that way you dont have to make any cuts in the actual fur? I dunno many people who do this but iv done a cat or two with this technique.

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Latest Library Uploads