Bolt Cutters are a must have | Squat the Planet

Bolt Cutters are a must have

chrisfromyork

I'm a d-bag and got banned.
Banned
Reaction score
The quickest way to get past pad locks and key safes are bolt cutters. This is so much quicker than lockpicking. It'll take you less that 5 seconds to cut the lock off. Get a small pair that aren't so obvious. They are like around $15 at Home Depot. The larger pairs of bolt cutters can sometimes can cut door knobs, bike chains, and even barb wire. I've used bolt cutters for cutting pad locks and breaking into storage bins. Bolt cutters can get you into school lockers. I've used bolt cutters for cutter bike chains and stealing bikes.

I've used bolt cutters for cutting those key safes that real estate agents leave on the door. After you cut the key safe off of the door with the bolt cutters. Take the key safe somewhere where nobody can see and use a hammer to bust the key safe open. The keys to the house are in the key safe. Usually I try the back door of the vacant house at night when nobody's around. Find vacant houses that have notices on the door from the city or look for foreclosed houses that are listed on real estate sites.

d52fd982-f1de-4d36-bdb5-fe1f92876528_145.jpg
ba5cdce7-5d83-4a2d-8db4-d6367cf26abe_145.jpg
5f4efb4e-136e-446e-8efa-1a4848d0f9b8_145.jpg
89e00194-9a93-47b7-bf34-db684afc3f82_145.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: mumblz
D

Deleted member 20

Unsure how practical they are to hitch/hop with. Lockpicks would be less likely to be found seeing they are lightwieght. They are both burglary tools & i cant afford to be caught with either. Most padlocks could be bashed with found items like crow bars, hammers, rebar, rocks etc without risking being charged. Maybe if someone was rubber tramping it. Lockpicks sound more romantic with the ability to replace whatever locked after you gain access.

T

Tick Dickler

The quickest way to get past pad locks and key safes are bolt cutters. This is so much quicker than lockpicking. It'll take you less that 5 seconds to cut the lock off. Get a small pair that aren't so obvious. They are like around $15 at Home Depot. The larger pairs of bolt cutters can sometimes can cut door knobs, bike chains, and even barb wire. I've used bolt cutters for cutting pad locks and breaking into storage bins. Bolt cutters can get you into school lockers. I've used bolt cutters for cutter bike chains and stealing bikes.

I've used bolt cutters for cutting those key safes that real estate agents leave on the door. After you cut the key safe off of the door with the bolt cutters. Take the key safe somewhere where nobody can see and use a hammer to bust the key safe open. The keys to the house are in the key safe. Usually I try the back door of the vacant house at night when nobody's around. Find vacant houses that have notices on the door from the city or look for foreclosed houses that are listed on real estate sites.

d52fd982-f1de-4d36-bdb5-fe1f92876528_145.jpg
ba5cdce7-5d83-4a2d-8db4-d6367cf26abe_145.jpg
5f4efb4e-136e-446e-8efa-1a4848d0f9b8_145.jpg
89e00194-9a93-47b7-bf34-db684afc3f82_145.jpg

fuck stealing bikes. i just lost my 4th bike this summer fucking bike thieves. but i dont see the harm in stealing old obviously abandoned bikes though.
video related.

Dmac

Reaction score
lock picks are better, cuz you can lock it back up and nobody knows you were in! much easier to hide them from Authorities.

Hylyx

Reaction score
lock picks are better, cuz you can lock it back up and nobody knows you were in! much easier to hide them from Authorities.

Yup. If you are cutting off key safes you might as well just kick the fucking door in, it's just about as obvious. 99% of consumer grade (what 99% of houses are "secured" with) locksets take a scant few minutes to pick. Yeah it takes some practice but it's much more versatile, sustainable, and picks are easy to hide, and less likely to get you in hot water with cops if they are found.

Also if you come to my town and steal bikes I will bash your fucking skull in with said bolt cutters.

DonnyDerelict

Reaction score
Small wire cutters are nice and aren't so bulky. That won't get you past locks, but lock picking isn't really hard. I've used em to snip holes in chain link fences to make shortcuts if I plan on using it multiple times(so long as it doesn't let animals out, serve any real purpose). And ya can clip your nails with em, too.

Reactions: buffalobill

menu

Reaction score
one of my only worries with carrying bolt cutters is "posession of burglary tools" which was a felony. I got caught with bolt cutters and a hack saw in SF back in 07 while working with "homes not jails" and they charged me with that. they eventually (after 15 days locked up) dropped it to criminal trespass. it all really depends on the cop that gets ya i suppose

Reactions: Matt Derrick

shabti

Reaction score
They still hang bike thieves in Wyoming... View attachment 17706
Look, I'm no fan of bike thieves. My Haro got stolen by one, I agree it sucks tremendously. But threatening violence and death for thieves isn't....it isn't a well thought out response, you know? Capital Punishment and all that? A bike is replaceable, but somebodies spine or teeth is not. I wonder if there are any creative, collective ways to stave off bike thieves. Like, a motion sensor Mr. T or something. Here's an electronic guard dog barking thingy for 20 bucks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Ho...783?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c7aeb287
I'm not saying deterrents should always work, I'm just saying that threats of violence and punishment are the tools of repression, often wielded by those in power. Maybe we, (who have such a different view on the value of material goods relative to the value of life) might be in a position to come up with better solutions than "I'll beat the living shit out of any bike thief I come across."

No? Maybe? Food for thought?

About us

• Squat the Planet is the world's largest social network for misfit travelers. Join our community of do-it-yourself nomads and learn how to explore the world by any means necessary.

More Info

Help us pay the bills!

Total amount
$10.00
Goal
$100.00

Latest Library Uploads